Hello

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by theYipster, Feb 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. theYipster
    Original Member

theYipster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Greetings,

Just wanted to introduce myself... I've been a FlyerTalk lurker for a quite some time, and a commercial aviation enthusiast for decades. About a year and half ago, I founded a tech start-up with two business partners in LA, which has has really increased the time I spend on airplanes given that I'm in NYC.

Unfortunately I wasn't too smart about frequent flier programs or mileage accrual until recently, and my shift in strategy is due to the great community of people and knowledge here and on FlyerTalk. I originally figured I'd try and focus on JetBlue, but wound up flying Delta more often than not due to cheaper fairs. I lacked knowledge of what it took to make elite status, and was cavalier about booking air travel to meet my goals. I split my flying time last year between JetBlue, Delta, and Continental, and didn't make status anywhere (although I came within 3,000 points of achieving FO on Delta.)

Coming so close to making status on Delta led me to FlyerTalk, several blogs, and eventually here, and while bummed about my missed opportunity, I ramped up efforts to not make the same mistakes again. I took advantage of the Amex Platinum card 50,000 MR points deal and combined that with Delta's 50% transfer promo to claim what I was so close to achieving last year, and thus far I've found the card benefits to be of value given the travel I do (which has me thinking I'll hang on to it for years to come.) I also took advantage of my card's benefits to gain benefits at Starwood, National Rent-a-Car, and Hertz, and through researching travel benefits offered at my corporation (we're a boot-strapped startup... i.e. we all have day-jobs,) I was able to status-match Delta FO with AAdvantage Gold. Not too shabby for a month's work of mainly research :)

Given my upcoming flying schedule, I expect to make GM on Delta (now my preferred airline, at least for domestic) by the summer, and may perhaps hit platinum by the end of the year. My first trip where I'll be able to put these statuses to use is next Monday (JFK to DEN via ATL, and then on to visit a friend in SEA via SLC four days later.) Hope all will go well.

In any case, I just wanted to say hi and I look forward to being a part of this community. Hope to share insight with other JFK-based DL flyers, as well as tips for flying in and out of any of NYC's three airports.

b1513, misman and diver90 like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome Yipster! Great to have you here! Sounds like you may have some good advice for those starting out their travels!

3. Omar's_Coming
    Original Member

Omar's_Coming Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome!!

btw, i love that attitude. there's always missed opportunities, and they used to always get me down; but i learned that there are better deals still to come as long as I kept active

4. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome Aboard, Yipster. As far as "flying in and out of any of NYC's three airports", a bottomless bucket of patience and a good book is my best advice. I've aged at least one full year (literally [​IMG]) sitting on the tarmac at LGA.

5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Greetings theYipster. Even though we travel on different airlines and alliances, looking forward to seeing your posts on MP!

6. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint theYipster. Sounds like you won't have any problem getting status this year. I betcha you'll see Platinum no problem! Good luck, and see you around the forum!

7. theYipster
    Original Member

theYipster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the warm welcome guys :)

Haha, I know that. I can't say how many times we pull from the gate only to hear we're 98th for takeoff. I'm actually loyal to JFK. Here's why:
    • Easiest to get to: Trains are fast, cheap, comfortable, and most-of-all, consistent. No worries about traffic on the Queens Blvd subway or the LIRR Main line.
    • Crowd Dispersal: With eight terminals, the departing crowd has dispersed by the time you walk in the front door. Delta's has three separate ticketing and security areas in T3 alone, plus the elite check-in in T2. Even at more centralized terminals, like the new T5, I've never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes on security.
    • Predictable flight patterns: Even with JetBlue and Delta, much of the airport serves international flights. Flying domestic, especially in the morning and early afternoon, is a breeze from JFK... especially compared to LGA which is busy at all hours, or EWR which can be a madhouse even at 5AM.
    • Good options post security: This varies terminal by terminal, but most at JFK have decent food and shopping post security (T4 being the major exception.) This is especially true at T5, which still wows me over a year into its debut. Even ratty old T3 has you covered. Contrast this to LGA, especially at the main terminal, where the best you'll find is a portable beer-stand underneath a low ceiling with florescent lights.

8. aplus808
    Original Member

aplus808 Active Member

Status Points:
    Penn Station to JFK is so less stressful than going by car/taxi. I found that out the hard way after getting stuck in traffic on the BQE and LIE, especially for those evening flights to the west coast.