Hello! What's the deal with CRJ200's?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by DohaJames, Mar 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. DohaJames

DohaJames Member

Status Points:
    Hello everyone, I'm new here,

Moved to Qatar from the UK a couple of years ago, and have often found myself lurking on this forum for useful snippets. I used to be petrified of flying... I was the shaky guy at the front, sweating profusely. However, once I started upping the amount of flying I've been doing, I've kind of got over it... I still brick it on take off, but beyond that I'm OK.

Today I'm trying to sort myself out a flight from Qatar to Valencia for a stag do... One of the routes I'm looking at involves flying on a Bombardier CRJ200 (Air Nostrum?? I'd never heard of them before). I was googling, as I've turned into a bit of entry level wannabe plane geek, and something came up from this forum... basically saying that the only good CRJ200 is a destroyed CRJ200... What's the deal with them? Am I going to massively regret flying on this plane? I've looked at SeatGuru and the space seems reasonable enough on paper... no different to the QA Dreamliner I go on frequently to Edinburgh. However, I'm 6 foot 6 and fairly broad, so I tend to tread carefully when going with new airlines/planes.

Anyway, hello everyone, I'm going to have a look around and see if I can get involved in any chats elsewhere.

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bad news...it is quite different. The CRJ 200 is a much smaller airplane inside. The curve of the fuselage makes the window seat quite less spacious than any on the 787, even if the numbers look the same on paper. At 6'6" you will have trouble standing up straight inside, even in the aisle, much less in a seat.

I would be quite surprised to hear that you enjoy the flights.

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    For sure insist on an aisle seat. And duck when entering. It's cramped.

DohaJames, satman40 and daninstl like this.
  5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah the CRJ's mostly are not designed for people over 6 foot tall I don't think. It won't be "that" bad but just not as much fun as the larger jets. Heck many of the larger turboprops are bigger inside than the CRJ's I think. Welcome to MP btw.

DohaJames likes this.
  6. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing wrong with the RJ200 .....for a short trip however.
    Two hours is the max endurance for the human body....if one is of average build.

DohaJames and satman40 like this.
  7. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    A nice alternative to a turbo prop in most cases, but not the iron of choice for most.

8. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome! The CRJ's take a lot of abuse from flyers used to full sized aircraft. I find it superior to the EMB145, but not as nice as the Bombardier Q200.

DohaJames likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL people here hate the CRJ-200 because it has no FC. As a small RJ, it's prone to cancellations.

10. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Think of all the private pilots who pay thousands of dollars to set in the seat for hours at a time., and they do enjoy the ride.

I remember landing on day and seeing a Money Mite M-18, ready for take off, one seater high performance aircraft, thinking how lucky that guy was. The aircraft was less than 18 feet long. Cost $2600 1947...

Depends on your perspective...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    DohaJames likes this.
  11. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    The seats are cramped, back support is non existent, you have to gate check your carry on, they bounce all over the sky (because they're small), and the windows are at an angle where you have to look down to see out.

To paraphrase an old cereal commercial, "give it to Mikie --- he'll like it" --- only you probably won't..

Those of us who fly Delta won't complain .... when they're gone.

<lol>

DTWBOB

DohaJames likes this.
  12. DohaJames

DohaJames Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the welcome everyone!

I'm going to give it a go I reckon. It's the cheapest flight to get me there (Madrid to Valencia) and I'm always game for a new experience... Sounds like I'm going to be cramped and uncomfortable though!

This is the bit that got me worried the most! I took a flight from Kathmandu to Lukla a couple of years ago on a Twin Otter... I've really hated turbulence since that flight!

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The skies should be much calmer over Spain than Nepal.

8MiHi likes this.
  14. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Carryon? Do you mean the toys I travel with? Luggage is supposed to be checked, after all with no checked luggage there would be no samsonite gorillas!