Hello, more newbie questions...

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Drlucy, May 17, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Drlucy

Drlucy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello,

I am brand new to this site, and to the world of frequent flyer forums, so hello to everyone.

I am based in the UK and am a BA Executive member and wondering if anyone knows if there is a way of booking reward flights when the dates haven't been released yet? I am looking to book a return flight from London to Tokyo with BA in First at the end of next April as a treat for my boyfriend's birthday - the out going date is available but they've not released the date I want to return yet...I am worried about waiting for next month for the return flight but losing out on the outgoing flight as there are only a few seats. Is there any way around this?
    Thank you for any help,
    Lucy

misman and Kalboz like this.
  2. pshuang

pshuang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello and welcome.

Some Frequent Flier Programs, including British Airways Avios, allow you to book one-way flights without penalty, i.e., booking a round trip ticket costs the same amount of miles + fees as booking two one-way tickets. Generally this is considered a good thing as it gives you additional flexibility -- it would allow you to easily construct circle trips (City A to City B to City C to City A), it allows you to redeem different parts of your itinerary using miles from different programs, etc. In the scenario you describe, you should be able to book the outbound tickets now as one-way tickets and wait for BA to start selling flights for the return date.

You should note that there are a couple of minor risks:
    (1) If after redeeming for the outbound tickets, you find that you cannot find availability for the return tickets, you may have to pay a significant fee in order to cancel the outbound tickets and redeposit the miles into your Avios account.
    (2) If anything happens during the trip that causes you to want to change the return ticket, if you had bought a round-trip ticket, there's a slightly greater chance that BA would allow you to change the return part of the ticket of a round-trip ticket for free. Remember, though, the circumstances would have to be that either BA was somehow at fault (for example, if due to mechanical issues they got you to the destination late, causing you to lose a notable amount of your vacation) or there was a massive system wide issue for which change fees were being waived. If you bought two one-way tickets, it would be a reasonable position for BA to say they are unrelated.

I would lean toward buying separate one-way tickets. Even when the return dates are already being sold, I sometimes book my award tickets as two one-way tickets rather than as a round-trip because I find the flexibility to be well worth the minor risks added.

Dublin_rfk, Kalboz and Drlucy like this.
  3. Drlucy

Drlucy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you very much for your help - the risk has been taken...one way tickets bought...:)

Counsellor likes this.
  4. Drlucy

Drlucy Silver Member

Status Points:
    The return leg bought now for the dates and class I wanted - I didn't realise that they release the reward flights day by day - thought it was month by month until reading some things on here. Thank you. :)

misman likes this.