Hello Milepoint! How do I go about booking award space?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Amaresh, Jun 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Amaresh

Amaresh New Member

Status Points:
    Hello there,

I'm planning to fly LHR-NYC return this September and I was wondering if you could help this newbie go about booking award space.

I'm currently a member of Alitalia's Millemiglia having accrued around 12k eligibile miles with them so far. I have about 25k AMEX points that I'm looking to transfer (that should be around 37.5k miles) which would give me close to 50k miles. Would those miles be enough to book any sort of award space with Alitalia or other Skyteam partner airliners? Would I be better of transferring the AMEX points to Delta instead as they fly LHR-NYC direct whereas Alitalia would be FCO-LHR-NYC. However, 25k amex points = 25k miles in this case. :(

I've tried looking for award space on Millemiglia but it seems to indicate around 50k for a one way flight whereas their award chart shows that it should be enough for a return, which is very confusing.

Thanks in advance!

Amaresh

tommy777 likes this.
  2. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
  3. Amaresh

Amaresh New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, that makes sense. I also realised that flying direct would mean much higher taxes due to the flights originating from the UK. In that case, flying out of Italy would mean cheaper taxes too.

Counsellor and tommy777 like this.
  4. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! :)