Hello - and looking for suggestions on getting to United Gold

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by millstone65, Nov 14, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. millstone65

millstone65 New Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

Nice set of forums!

Factoring in two remaining flights this year, I realized today that I am nearly to Gold status on United, needing about 3400 PQM and $900 PQD. However, it will not be likely that I can fly somewhere else to get these in time.

I looked at the difference between United Silver and Gold, and honestly it doesn't seem that much different. International trips are few so the club access on those flights is not going to be needed that often. Upgrades seem to be getting rare on domestic flights, so I don't see the increased probability being that much of a perk. I typically use carry-ons so the baggage check isn't a factor. Finally, I faithfully grab an Economy Plus seat by checking in exactly 24 hours before the flight, so the Plus seat at booking isn't that great.

My questions to all you experts are: (1) Did I miss something wonderful with Gold given I am this close? (2) Any clever ways to get over the hurdle, given the PQD requirement?

Thanks in advance! This seems like a helpful place. Cheers!

8MiHi and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    One way to waive the pqd requirement is through spend on a United branded Chase credit card. Do you happen to have one that you have already racked up a ton of charges on?

Personally, while I might be willing to fly an extra 3400 miles to reach Gold, I would not spend $900 on it.

Welcome to IF. Glad to see someone posting!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  3. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to IF! Yours is a good question and it really hangs on your expectations for 2016 travel. The domestic flying perks of Gold over Silver are not something I would pursue for $900 and 3400 miles unless you can see using them a great deal next year.
    The Gold perks I have found to make travel easier are Same Day Change, two bags, some extra RDMs, E+ at reservation with a companion (on my own, at check-in can be dealt with, but with a companion you want the reservation so you can be sure of sitting together) as well as a better shot at an upgrade. These may be worth thinking about if you see significant travel in 2016.
    If you do not qualify for the Chase Credit Card waiver as suggested by HaveMiles above, you cannot use the PQMs they offer to sell without flying due to the PQD requirement. otherwise you might be able to buy or fly the required 3400 PQMs to get you Gold.

millstone65 likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    For $900 you could buy the E+ access. I wouldn't invest in the status.

millstone65, Dublin_rfk and 8MiHi like this.
  5. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, for a $500 subscription you get in E+ domestically. For $700 you could buy a year's access for you and a companion to domestic E+. For $200 more it is good globally.
    It would seem to make sense for there to be a discount for Premier Silver subscribers, but there isn't.
    Determining your expected travel needs in 2016 will better inform you what would be best for you. I agree with WA that in your specific case, there appears to be no need to spend $900 on Gold status.

millstone65 and Dublin_rfk like this.
  6. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    All of the above are good suggestions. As a jaded 1K to me, the $900.00 is a larger thinking point as you can buy the status for less. Flat out comparison says the PDQ / PQM is not a good deal.

millstone65 likes this.
  7. millstone65

millstone65 New Member

Status Points:
    Wow! Terrific answers from everyone. Thanks very much. This is certainly a generous community with advice, and it helps a lot to have some validation of my thinking.

I guess the PQD calculus has really changed all of these strategies permanently, but it's obviously the way things will be in the future.

Thanks again!

8MiHi likes this.