Hello, Alaska! (or, what's your secondary FFP?)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Mike Reed, Sep 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the UA changes announced today and with my current travel patterns (100-150 EQM/BIS per year, primarily domestic), I can safely say that my secondary focus will now be Alaska Airlines. Depending on the year, I should be able hit MVP Gold by flying AS on any of my west coast flights and through partner contributions when DL has a better schedule (though I really, really try not to fly DL), and crediting anything above/beyond what I need for EXP to AS at the end of the year.

I'm not going to hit MM on UA, so there's no point chasing it, and I don't need a second large domestic/international carrier/alliance...

So, if you're an AA flier, what's your secondary FFP?

tom911 and hulagrrl210 like this.
  2. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    From next year.... AA will be my secondary FFP!!!

legalalien and hulagrrl210 like this.
  3. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    DL. Followed by B6.

1) Corporate travel policy (I get "reported" if I book UA or CO)
    2) About 3 MM on DL, and enough to maintain PLT status

If the TSA keeps going the way they are, I may well drop my flying enough to not need a secondary FF program. And maybe not even a first.

Mike Reed likes this.
  4. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right now I don't have a secondary, so am trying to decide if one is necessary. AA does fine for my domestic flying, and is how I achieved much of my mileage to make EXP (just crossed 100k in early Sept). Being DC-based, UACO or US are the most likely alternatives, but I don't have much occasion to use them except for those east coast flights where AA can't get me to my destination or is much too expensive (e.g., Louisville in Nov). Perhaps I should look at one of the international carriers in *?

Mike Reed likes this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    My back up plan is UA, but honestly I haven't collected a UA mile in about 2 years. I use UA because:
    • I'm ORD-based, so it's the carrier with the most options from my home airport
    • *A partners offer coverage for mileage redemption in areas of the world OW can struggle in
    • Prior to the merger, the ability to fly on UA/CO/UA covered 3 major US airlines on a single program

Mike Reed likes this.
  6. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I decided to get status on UA instead of maintaining my status on AA by booking my next flight to GRU on the former carrier (when prices were comparable). The fact is that AA is cutting back from ROC and shows no interest in setting competitive fares out of here, so I figured I'd move. I understand that they're trying to focus on the most-trafficked, highest-revenue routes, but I don't want to fly an airline with a shrinking map and fewer flights per day.

Then I learned, two days after buying the ticket, that I'm getting one fewer bag and middle Economy Plus seats with my new status, and that pleases me not at all.

And I do love those Off-Peak SAAver Awards to S. America.

So I'm torn, and hoping that the WN-FL merger finishes quickly.

Mike Reed likes this.
  7. aamilesslave
    Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rapid Rewards with Skymiles a distant second (have never flown Delta--it's an old WorldPerks account where I also parked some Air France and Jet Airways miles)

Mike Reed likes this.
  8. firstglobal

firstglobal Silver Member

Status Points:
    DL. Despite their poor loyalty program, they have the best schedules of any legacy out of my home airport. They are also (unlike AA) a preferred carrier for my company. I also love the ability to buy tickets on very short notice and select the flights that have upgrades available!

Mike Reed likes this.
  9. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had HORRIBLE experiences with DL. And despite the fact I can get from AUS-IAH as easy as DFW, if I'm going east, I'll connect through DFW. Keeps it simple.

What I've noticed is that a) I miss AS from my days living in OAK and working in SEA, and b) there are few, if any, flights back from the Bay Area to AUS that leave after 3:00 PM. The only one I know of is WN at 5:25 from SJC. If I'm going to have a secondary program, however, the ability to put overflow AA miles in as well as AS, and god forbid, DL, seems the best for my pattern.

I'd consider WN more, but, well, I just don't do cattle class unless I have to. The alternative is UA with their DEN and SFO hubs, but I don't particularly like the AUS-DEN flight times for making connections. At least DL gives me options through SLC. Getting home nights from the west coast just sucks. Advice?

10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I forgot about the FL merger. But they're all going WN-style, right? 717's are disappearing?

11. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right, WN has confirmed that the 717 are not part of the fleets future.

12. aamilesslave
    Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, I missed that. How things change in a few short months...

Mike Reed and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  13. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    there was an article that I referenced in a post in WN's thread. it came from airportbusiness.com.

14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    A current advantage of DL is the new miles don't expire policy, but check the rules carefully if you have old miles.

15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be sure to read the fine print about whether your miles have expired or will expire. If they have expired (within about the last year), you can buy them back for a not unreasonable price.

16. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've actually switched from AA being our primary US domestic to making it the secondary and elevating Alaska to primary.

Reason for that is with the continued cutbacks on flights out of SFO and SJC it makes little or no sense for me to fly with AA when they make it so hard for me to use them.

harvson3 likes this.
  17. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    AS is my secondary (to AA.) If AS adopted an "all-partners" approach (i.e. one could use more than one partner on award itineraries) and/or instituted one-way awards with partners, then I'd probably swap.

18. IPBrian

IPBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    DL is my secondary, though not much by choice.

19. Falcon View
    Original Member

Falcon View Silver Member

Status Points:
    U S Airways. I have a U S Airways Mastercard and find earning miles for * Alliance redemption pretty easy.

20. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't have a secondary. It has been 10 years since I flew a carrier that wouldn't allow me to credit the miles to AA. I find it better to have all my miles in one program. I also find that if you can't fly there and get AA miles, I don't really need to go there.

21. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've flown on exactly one AA flight in my life...I was trying to see how crafty I could be, so I purchased a flight as a codeshare on AS, but flown on AA metal...but since I purchased through AS, I was able to enter my DL # on the reservation. So basically, I wanted to see if I could work the system to get DL miles by flying on AA metal (which would be really screwed up in my opinion!).

Long story short, I checked-in online, and lo and behold, my DL # actually was printed on my AA BP...but then I had to check a bag at the airport, and the ticketing agent happened to reprint my BP, and when that BP came out, my number was gone! I was in a hurry, so I didn't try to get it back on there, so I never got to find out if it would've actually worked!

I have to believe it would not have, but a little part of me wants to try it again, just to be sure!

22. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really haven't thought the options out now that I'm walking away from UA as a 1MM flyer there. I'll probably do some Southwest flights when they make sense but can't see that I'll get any value from that program as an occasional flyer. Virgin America is also on the table as they do SFO-LAS, but again I would not anticipate enough flights to hold any elite status there.

23. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't say I have a secondary. I always try to choose the most convenient non stop (non RJ) schedule. My current two choices are AA and UA/CO. I earn 1K status the first 3 months in odd years and EXP status the first 3 months in even years. My top elite status is active for 2 years in each program. During my second year of 1K/EXP status I may only fly 50,000 miles. I earned 1K status the first three months of this year 2011. However, since UA will be changing their Feb 28 elite status expiration to Jan 31, I may switch to Delta. Ive purchased several FC/J fares on Delta when they've offered a nonstop or jet versus regional jet and/or connection on AA/UA/CO, eg., LAX/ATL, JFK/ATL, ATL/DXB. I was status matched to Medallion Gold however that expires next year. I prefer the international alliance carriers more than domestic, especially the EWR/SIN nonstop on SQ.

miles and smiles likes this.
  24. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This only partially pertains to the topic, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread for this question:

Does anyone know how long it typically takes miles to post to your AAdvantage account after you've flown a B6 flight where you credited miles to AA? I did this about a week and a half ago, but nothing has posted yet. I'm sure they'll eventually show up, but still was curious. Thanks!

Mike Reed likes this.