Heathrow predicts massive gridlock in UK strike (Nov 30)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tom911, Nov 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...aSkEWA?docId=fd2b29fcb5de48faa4e3e12056f73a4a

Anyone flying AA into the UK this date? Sounds like it's going to be a mess and AA may need to divert or cancel flights. I'll miss it myself as I fly into Germany two days later.

2. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've flown into LHR twice when Border Agency personnel are taking industrial action. I have to say, I can't really tell the difference between when they are on strike/on a slow-down and when they are running normal operations.

zpaul likes this.
  3. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I actually had no problems moving through quickly when I was flying through there last Sunday. Granted, I was on the 10:30am arrival, so I missed most of the arrivals.

4. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not planning to be anywhere but in the U.S. next week, but am on various mailing lists and Facebook groups. So I have received notices from AA and SQ tonight urging folks to reconsider their plans, offering to waive change fees, etc. While those two are the only airlines I heard from, I am sure others are doing the same thing. . . .

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Every time I've flown through LHR I've been through in less than 15 minutes. Perhaps I'm a "let it roll off your back" kind of traveler, but I've never had issues at LHR like so many others, even when changing between T3 and T5.

6. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    The other side of this is the British government requesting that airlines cut their loads on 30 Nov. to 50%, to reduce the number of people who have to clear customs on entry.

There has been considerable discussion on MP of late about the financial plight of the airlines -- particularly AA -- right now. If I were an executive, I think I would be a tad furious about the position this put my airline in. Either comply with their "request" by cutting loads, avoiding high-dollar (or pound) last-minute sales, waiving change fees, or, I suppose, maybe even refunding tickets on cancellations (don't know for sure they will do that last one), or NOT granting the government's request and risking its ire.

It's like a hurricane or a nor'easter, but this time rather than an Act of God its an act of unions/management in a far-away land. Ugh.

7. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I depart LAX for Basel, Switzerland (through LHR) on the 28th, arriving LHR on the 29th...looks like I may miss this mess by one day!!

8. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Connecting pax (unless they have to pick up/recheck baggage) will not have an issue...just follow the purple signs for flight connections.

:)

garyst16 likes this.
  9. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, Robin, I fear they WOULD have an issue, because one news report I read said that to avoid congested corridors and arrival halls, arriving passengers might be kept on planes for hours, until conditions in the halls allowed, before being let off (and therefore even being able to follow the purple signs).

10. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right - but the poster is not flying in on Wednesday, they're flying in tomorrow. ;) You do make a good point for anyone coming in on Wednesday though!

:)