Heathrow hits back as hundreds of flights cancelled amid 'refugee' conditions

Discussion in 'LHR/LGW/LCY/LTN/STN | London Area Airports' started by rwoman, Jan 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    ES: We're coping well: Heathrow hits back as hundreds of flights cancelled amid 'refugee' conditions

I think of the craziness at LHR a couple of years ago and it seems the snow we've had this week is being somewhat less disruptive. Of course, in the past it's been around Christmas and there were far more people flying.

It definitely looks like LHR learned some lessons after the madness in 2010!!

Flying tomorrow...so I'll definitely be watching the weather!

:)

jbcarioca, uggboy and sobore like this.
  2. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hated the 2010 madness (ended up taking Eurostar to Paris for hundreds of Euros). LHR learned some lessons, but not the lesson of "buying snowplows".

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC they did not want to make that expense when snow was so rare. I am sooooo happy I'm not there this time. I have so many memories including ones from when I lived in Hampstead...

thesterlingtraveler and sobore like this.
  4. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, snow is rare in London. But when it does snow, it causes so much havoc. IIRC, BA was losing over $1M a day in 2010. I wouldn't think a snow plow costs more than $100,000. I may not be a business person, but that doesn't seem like a tough decision. From my experience in 2010, they were so ill-prepared. After standing in line for 3 hours waiting to be rebooked, BA gave up and handed everyone letters telling people to go try to rebook by calling in. Even in 2010, when I arrived on Dec 16 (I think), there was only 2-3 inches of snow on the ground and all flights out were cancelled. How much snow does it take at JFK/LGA,/MSP/DEN etc for all flights to be cancelled?