Heads Up: SQ Awards Booked Through Reservations Starting 13DEC

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Insider, Dec 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

I wanted to give you an early heads up about an upcoming change to the Star partner award availability you see displayed online. Singapore Airlines and United have agreed to remove Singapore Airlines inventory from our award flight search results on united.com and on the United Mobile App. This will take effect starting tomorrow, December 13, You will still to be able to book and change award reservations involving Singapore Airlines by calling our reservations lines.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying questions, and I’ll do my best to answer them.

Aaron Goldberg
    Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
    United Airlines

LETTERBOY likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well this sucks.

I mean the inventory was already rather limited because SQ doesn't release much premium capacity to partners. But now not having any access at all is just crappy.

mht_flyer, UA191, IDGflygirl and 5 others like this.
  3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Singapore Airlines is just in Star Alliance by name with moves like this. :rolleyes:

viguera, mht_flyer, UA191 and 6 others like this.
  4. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Way to move backwards.

FriendlySkies and goalie like this.
  5. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another customer unfriendly move. I realize UA is probably being forced to do this by SQ, but it's kind of ridiculous. If SQ doesn't want to allow awards to be booked by its partner airlines' frequent flyers, then maybe it needs to just remove itself completely from the alliance.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why?

Thanks!

snod08 and mht_flyer like this.
  7. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd love to hear from SQ what benefits they receive from their participation in *A.

I hope UA is doing the same thing for KrisFlyer members.

8. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is SQ planing another system change? Maybe this is a prelude to SQ opening all award availability.

bk3day, viguera, LETTERBOY and 3 others like this.
  9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would love to haz SQ F somewhere and drink as much Dom as I could. :p

viguera likes this.
  10. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    So are the other *A carriers being told the same thing or just UA? Have others heard this from the AC or Lifmiles or LH reps?

11. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem is that LH and AC have a decent product. UA is just crap so we book on other carriers.

viguera, Nelumbo, goalie and 3 others like this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah...that LH C or Y is awesome compared to UA. :rolleyes:

IMRU, rggale, LETTERBOY and 7 others like this.
  13. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is SQ shutting out the other *A carriers from all awards on SQ though?

14. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apples and Oranges. If I was LH flyer (As I probably am if I am in miles and more) UA isn't really a viable option if I am looking to book the routes where SQ is with the exception of JFK and LH ain't that bad especially as I would get better access to LH and LX F. However as UA flyer, and as the new *A chart confirms, a lot of UA flyers are looking to book away from UA and book on LH or some other non-US carrier.

Also there is more to it than just the seat.

15. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    No we're not shut out from awards but from seeing availability. My point is that AC and LH flyers are probably not as interested in getting off of home metal as UA flyers are.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    MX likes this.
  16. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does the availability removal impact all cabins? I suppose I could see some rationale for limiting displays of premium cabin inventory, but blocking access to Economy?

17. COFreqFlyer
    Original Member

COFreqFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Massive dislike.

Between this and the previous announcement about increased award redemption rates, with 2MM miles to spend, your RTW desk is going to be hating me by the end of January. :mad:

Sent using tin cans and string on milepoint

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes.

19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not really IMO. Even if I accept the silly suggestion you've made that we only look at overlapping routes where the program carrier and SQ overlap it is hard to claim that LH or AC are offering a better product than SQ. AC in Y, perhaps.

True. The LH IFE rocks, too. Especially on the 744s and 340s.

20. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    No I don't think AC, LH, or UA offers a better product than SQ. If SQ is still visible through LH and AC then the assumption would be that SQ feels like they are getting a disparate amount of bookings from UA. This could be for numerous reasons. The first two that come to mind are that the UA product isn't that good. I do think on the whole AC and LH both offer better products than UA. I think that corresponds to less of a desire to book of those carriers and go looking for SQ space. Also, there might be more outstanding UA miles as compared to AC and LH. I know Aeroplan is its own business but I know LH doesn't print miles in the way UA does.

I think UA provides more of a reason to go looking for OAL space than AC or LH.

21. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why?

22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Do tell.

Is it the awesome 3-4-3 AAC has in the back of their 77Ws? Or the no-IFE, 30" pitch LH has in their 744s? Possibly the ancient, angled seat C on LH with pathetic IFE choices??

Each carrier has pros and cons. But to say that UA's overall offering is that far behind is, IMO, myopic.

rggale and LETTERBOY like this.
  23. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aaron, I am afraid this is very bad. Those of us who use redemption within Asia have booked SQ online before and for this kind of travel, their availability made these trips easier to plan than with OALs. That value encouraged us to invest in paid UA tix for other trips.

I am sure this is depressing to those on the CO side who built the CO OP online award booking tool into the best in the industry - transparent, quick, efficient, and showing a wide range of partner availability. This good functionality included SQ award booking - not that there was much TATL or TPAC inventory - and the online system delivered more than a marginal value to customers.

Now, I am sorry to say, there is only one way I can describe this development. Reducing well-proven and useful functionality in this way is not a move that used to characterize UA MP or CO OP. No indeed.

I had hoped not to use this description here, but with the way MP is headed downhill fast, with short-notice and almost no-notice Jeff-Robbo style devaluations, there's no alternative but to call this what it is.

I am afraid that you and Shannon - and everyone reading this - knows very well that it is:

[​IMG] MEJOR EN SU CLASE [​IMG]

Misplaced Texan, unavaca and Seacarl like this.
  24. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This SUCKS.

edcho likes this.
  25. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    But hey, Aaron said to let him know if we had any clarifying questions, and he'll do his best to answer them. :rolleyes:

Seems like I heard that before. Oh yeah! Back when they introduced PQDs. But that was only 6 months ago, and there are still far more questions unanswered than answered. Good thing we still have 2 1/2 weeks until that enhancement takes place.

Aaron... Please relay this message to Smisek. I don't want to write to him because I don't like him anymore. Although I'm not personally affected by this change, it just adds to the distrust I feel for UA. One can't help but wonder what will come next, and it seems that one doesn't have to wait long to find out. These negative changes have been pretty rapid-fire this year.

"Changes I think you're going to like" my @ss.

snod08 and FriendlySkies like this.