Heads up on Systemwides (uhh...now, Global Premier Upgrades)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by trobb49, Sep 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Under the 'old' UA program, layovers when using an SWU had to be 12 hours or less. The current rule, according to the agent I spoke with last night, is "within 24 hours".

Also, be careful of the fare classes if you are booking online. For some flights (probably international ones) fare classes T,L,K,G & N don't count for Economy to Business upgrades. When making my reservation for KIX<>IAH the online program did a dirty on me, giving my "M" going but "L" coming back. It took 30 minutes on the phone with a discussion with the supervisor and then their fare class desk to decide that I could upgrade to a qualifying "W" fare for an additional $209.

hulagrrl210 and NYCUA1K like this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome! You are a new member!

What you just experienced is pretty much how things are...

Counsellor and Flyer1976 like this.
  3. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the advanced search there is an ability to specify fare classes, but I have found it somewhat awkward to use, and sometimes, even though a fare class shows availability (e.g. W9) it still won't book it (maybe there's no fare on the route). I don't think there's a box where you can say that you want to use a SWU/GPU and it is supposed to come up with the cheapest fare that is eligible.

I also find forcing connections to be difficult and the fare pricing to be hit or miss. E.g. it is only showing me flights to Europe via EWR, ORD and IAD, and I want to connect in SFO or IAH instead, so I do multi-city, but it doesn't price right even though the availability is there and the fare rules permit it.

I have a weird feeling that maybe UA has put some new restrictions in order to generate a premium from 787 flights.

4. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Concerning 'pricing right' I found that, when using the multiple destinations function, it shows the standard price for each specified set of segments as a one-way fare, but if you ignore the prices and follow through to the end, it comes up with a reasonable RT price -- although in my case the fare basis for the return legs was not what I wanted.

5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have found that that works internationally, but not always domestically. In some cases it seems to price the segments separately if they were searched for separately even though they are close enough in time to be deemed a connection (ie. under 4 hours domestically)

6. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I recall, the allowed layover was always 23h 59.

Also, for Zone 2 upgrades, W or higher was always the rule
    except during the Sweet Spot period.