Heads Up! - First Annual Oneworld MegaDO Planning Thread in the Community Center

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Jul 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just wanted to give a heads up to any AA forum participants who do not regularly frequent other forums on MP.....

One of the co-founders of MP, Tommy777, is working on the beginnings of what may be the first annual oneworld alliance MegaDO. Based on his post, this seems to have strong support from Maya Leibman and the AA team. If you don't have any idea what a MegaDO is, I'd suggest taking a look at this LINK for the agenda of the 3rd annual Star Alliance MegaDO.

Tommy777 is looking for interested individuals to provide feedback and suggestions on what they'd like to see and do during this event. Clearly there is a link between anyone who is interested in the AA forum and this potential DO, so please click through to the thread I've linked to below and provide any feedback you can think of!

LINK.

2. skit53
    Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking forward to this. Thanks for the heads up!

3. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is so cool. I just moaned in early July that I wished there was a OW mega-DO and now, look, here one is. :D

Now I am going to wish that it is not held between Jan 12-20 as I have plans to be on a spec of dirt out in the middle of the Pacific during that time so wouldn't be able to attend if it was.

perryplatypus and Travelsavant like this.
  4. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds great.

5. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope they organize it in a date I can make myself present! It would be a tremendous opportunity, specially me who loves AA!!! Randy Peterson could come to Brazil sometime, for a GIG DO, or GRU DO!!! I would be in!!

Travelsavant likes this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For those who are interested, the information for the MegaDO launch party and registration is up:

LINK.

Travelsavant likes this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So I believe I've reserved a spot at the OW MegaDO launch party. Anyone else in the AA forum planning on attending? I really hope we can build interest and buzz about this event, so we can continue having them like the Star MegaDOs!

8. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also believe I have a spot for the launch and I am looking forward to attending, spreading the buzz and doing anything I can to help make the first OW DO in January a success. See you in LA?

Travelsavant and DCtrAAveler like this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I believe so! I wish I knew how much the DO itself would cost so I could be prepared to pay for my ticket on site.

I know how popular the *A events are, and want to make sure the OW event has a good turn out to encourage AA and OW to stay involved with the FFer community.

Travelsavant and DCtrAAveler like this.
  10. travlr

travlr Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be there!

11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be at the launch!

Travelsavant likes this.
  12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Has everyone already booked travel? A little early to book hotel if you want to get on the room block I suppose.

Travelsavant likes this.
  13. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I couldn't pass up the double starpoints at the sheraton agoura hills...

We're inbound on Saturday morning, leaving Monday afternoon.

Travelsavant likes this.
  14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You'll have a lot of extra time on the ground. I'm thinking I'm landing around 4:30 and heading right out.

I recently joined Hyatt and am looking to accumulate on their program, but I'm starting to realize that there is only one Hyatt property near the airport at LAX, and it has no shuttle and is their low tier property. How can a major chain like Hyatt have no airport presence at LAX?!?

Travelsavant likes this.
  15. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    We're making a weekend out of it since the kiddo is out of school on Monday and away that weekend. Planning on visiting the Ronald Reagan Presidential library, Malibu coast, etc. OWMD is icing on the cake!

16. travlr

travlr Silver Member

Status Points:
    I need to stay at a SPG hotel to go towards SPG Plat, but I'd also need to rent a car then I think. I'll probably just stay at the Andaz since renting a car would suck being under 25 and all. We'll see!

Travelsavant likes this.
  17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I still remember the headache our travel coordinator had when I took my first business trip and she realized I was 21. I'm happy to have those days behind me. :)

On the bright side, I believe they said the Andaz would have a special rate, no?

Travelsavant likes this.
  18. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would rent a car anyways its LA, if you're worried about the underage fee link below gives you free #1 Gold and waives the underage fee with the CDP and you can stack it with Promotional Coupons.

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/m-4254165/complimentary-gold-membership-for-your-kids-special-offer

Travelsavant and travlr like this.
  19. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I intend to do... need more information though on how to attend it!!!

Travelsavant likes this.
  20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well the DO itself will be announced at the launch party. Are you going to the launch party?

Travelsavant likes this.
  21. travlr

travlr Silver Member

Status Points:
    I could potentially get #1 Gold through AMEX Plat or AAA.. I found a pc# code for the underage driver stuff. I'm assuming that pc# code is the promotional code?

edit: doh, code is for before Sept 30th.

Travelsavant and roadwarrior365 like this.
  22. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No... Too much work in september here in Brazil!!! Sorry!!! I hope we can have the chance to meet over the DO!!!

Travelsavant likes this.
  23. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let me try to explain you get #1 Gold membership free doesn't really matter where you get it for free but joining through the link automatically puts the CDP (Corperate Code) in your profile. I think its called #1 Discount Program that (the CDP) takes off the underage fee always. Then you can use a PC code with the CDP to get additional savings or a upgrade.

Travelsavant and travlr like this.
  24. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    OW MegaDO icon now available in the Community Forum thread for the launch party. Get them while they're hot!

25. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be there. Flying out Saturday morning and heading to Santa Anita for the races (maybe Sunday, too, pre-party). Waiting on details for a room block at the Andaz, but may ony stay there the Sunday night.

Really looking forward to both the launch and the DO. Seems like such a fun event from everything I've read about the *A ones.

Travelsavant likes this.