Heads Up: CR7 Configuration and Seatmap Changes

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Insider, Sep 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

As some of you may have heard, over the next few months we’re reconfiguring the cabins of our entire United Express CRJ-700 fleet. United First will continue to have six seats (yes, with similar pitch and recline), Economy Plus will move from 32 to 16 seats, and United Economy will increase from 32 to 48 seats, such that total capacity will increase to 70, from the current 66. This is the same configuration as our Embraer 170s, and the same in Economy Plus/Economy as our forthcoming Embraer 175s.

As part of this process, we’re renumbering (and in some cases “re-lettering”) the rows across all of these aircraft, not only to accommodate the change in capacity, but also to standardize the seat map configurations across operating carriers (SkyWest, GoJet and Mesa).

If you’re booked on a CRJ-700 operating on or after September 25, here’s what you need to know:
    • Starting this weekend, united.com will display a new seat map for all SkyWest and GoJet CRJ-700 flights. To minimize the impact of last-minute aircraft changes, it will display Rows 4 – 7 of Economy Plus as “blocked”. In other words, we’ll show the same number of Economy Plus seats available, whether or not the flight is eventually operated by a new configuration aircraft. Changes to Mesa CRJ-700 seat maps will happen at a later date.
      • Already booked in rows 4-7 on one of these flights? We’ll do our best to automatically re-accommodate you into a similar seat in Economy Plus.
    • The seat map will be updated closer to the day of departure, when we assign a specific aircraft to the flight. If the aircraft hasn’t been reconfigured, Economy Plus rows 4-7 will open up for selection.
    The seat map updates are rolling out as we speak, so please pardon any dust you see over the next day or two :). Over the next few days, we’ll also send emails to customers advising them to check seat assignments before departure. However I wanted you to have consolidated information here, as well.

Aaron Goldberg
    Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
    United Airlines

2. FortFun
    Original Member

FortFun Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks as always for the timely updates.

ETA: friendly reminder to change the 32 to 28 in the existing Economy count. ;)

Wandering Aramean and Flyer1976 like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed...that math was messing with me pretty good. :oops:

ETA: New map should look something like this, I think:
    [​IMG]

FortFun likes this.
  4. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless they make the exit row 20 or 21 as on mainline aircraft

The generous number of Y+ were one of the nicest features of this aircraft. So the single lavatory queue will be even longer...

5. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flew a cr7 this morning. I wonder if any space will come from since the f seats. In 1a I couldn't even touch the wall with my feet, good 4 inches away

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You think the 4 extra passengers is going to make a significant difference there??

rggale likes this.
  7. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No but it is something more people can complain about!

Misplaced Texan, rggale and ssullivan like this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Switching 4 rows from ~34" to ~31" doesn't get nearly close to providing enough room for an extra row to be added. I wonder what else is changing to make this work.

desamo and MX like this.
  9. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the key is in Aaron's post: "F will remain six seats with similar pitch and recline". I think that means row 1 and 2 get moved up a little.

rggale, ssullivan, Flyer1976 and 4 others like this.
  10. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    The galley will move back and combined with the bathroom for an enhanced experience. ;)

downhillcrasher likes this.
  11. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good job with the announcement.

The CR7 is surprisingly spacious considering its role. There is no greater leap in comfort between sequential fleet a/c types anywhere in the world, not that I've seen, than between the UA-config CR2 and the CR7. The CR2 is absolutely the worst of all but for sectors like TUS-LAX I can tolerate the CR7. Even IAH isn't diabolic.

On balance I don't think this makes a lot of difference to Elites anyway. I often see the hindmost section of E+ unfilled when I fly on the CR7 and surely those with Plat or above will easily be able to select one of the remaining E+ seats. So... I cannot say that this is * mejor en su clase *

But.... please don't do this with the 320 or the 738.

12. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have two itineraries in Jan affected by this. I'm in row 3 on all . What does his mean, I'll loose my e+ on these flights or they will remap it to the correct rows?

In other words what seats should I be picking so I don't lose e+???

13. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is just not good news... and I dont see significant point why UA is doing this... will this increase their income in any significant way, will they even cover the costs of retrofit?

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The latter. Do nothing and your row 3 will remap to row 7 on a reconfigured plane.
    It will almost certainly increase revenue to a point of covering the costs, at least based on their data models. Otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

genemk2, FortFun, ssullivan and 2 others like this.
  15. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    But this move will also greatly diminish available seats in E+ for either paying customers or UA elites... Oh, yes, UA worrying about customers or elites... wake me up when this happens... :D

16. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As for paying customers all I can say is supply versus demand. They will be paying for it if they want E+. As for UA Elites they are trying to reduce the free op-ups to E+ for non-elite passengers to preserve the integrity of the EconomyPlus product.

mirohacek likes this.
  17. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    E+ is not much of the "product" per se... its just a bit more legroom... :D
    Not exactly comparable with some other Premium Y out there... but dont get me wrong... I like it because I am 6 and half feet tall, but still... it lacks other upgraded services...

18. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! That's exactly what I will do :)

19. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Am I the only one who thinks that E+ on the current configuration of CR7s is horrible? I hope that they will increase the legroom of E+ when they reconfigure. Those DFW-SFO flights in E+ are downright miserable, and I'm sure that others have similar examples.

As for the E70s/E75s, I have only flown in F on UAX's E70s. I can't put my finger on it, but it just doesn't have the same comfort that I find on AV and CM Embraers. I flew AV last night SAL-MDE in Clase Ejecutiva, and it felt like a mainline aircraft in terms of space and comfort. In fact, I think their Embraers are my favorite of all their aircraft. Even in E, it is quite comfortable. Perhaps the seats have more padding. I don't know what it is, but I definitely like it better than UAs product.

For the record, this was a pmTA aircraft. I've not flown on the pmAV versions, so my opinion is subject to change after so doing. I find pmAV mainline metal to be far less comfortable than their pmTA counterparts. Also, AV has killed the food quality on all pmTA flights. Those were once the best I've had.

20. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    E+ on the CR7s isn't all that great to begin with. Hopefully this doesn't make it worse.

Oh, and am I the only one who finds the title on this thread a bit funny? I mean, I've never been able to turn my head up when in the aisle of a CR7 without banging it on the ceiling.

21. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will do anything possible to avoid needing to use the lavatory on any CRJ model. Those are planes where it's best to just go before boarding, and not drink so much while on board that a visit to the toilet becomes necessary.

Seacarl, mirohacek and KenInEscazu like this.
  22. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    HA! So true. Bring on the E75s! Dump the CRs... 200s AND 700s. (Although I do give the CR7s high marks for F cabin sound insulation. That is one quiet cabin.)

Flyer1976 and rggale like this.
  23. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think with it alligned to the new 175s it will make subbing allot easier of a process.

Well the weekend is almost over and nothing loaded yet. My flights to/fro FTU in TPA are both on CR7s where I have 3B secured. The interesting thing is on both pretty much all E+ row 3-7 is full, while i trust my ability to get upgraded is super high, still interested in how this all will roll down.

24. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with dumping all of the CRJs, of all sizes. Did I mention someone once slammed my head in the door of a CR7 overhead bin when he felt the need to slam it shut during boarding while I was waiting behind him? Yeah, that was fun.

mht_flyer likes this.
  25. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't see how UA can easily sub an E70/E75 for a CR7. For schedule changes down the road, it makes sense. But for situations where a CR7 goes mechanical and there's a spare E70 sitting around, it's more complicated. Not only are they not the same type, meaning the crew would have to be different, but currently, no single UAEX operator has both CR7s and E70s. The E70s currently are all operated by Shuttle America, and the CR7s are a mix of SkyWest, GoJet, and :gag: Mesa. Swapping an E70 for a broken CR7 would be kind of like UA calling up DL and asking them to operate a UA flight with a DL bird because the UA plane is broken. It just isn't going to happen.