Headphones: Beats versus Bose

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by foofiter, Jul 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. foofiter

foofiter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Guys,

Looking for some input.

I travel fairly often domestically for work. Considering some noise canceling headphones.

Any opinions? I am looking at Beats by Dr. Dre and Bose Q15.

They are the same price essentially.

Thoughts?

Foo

IDGflygirl and marcwint55 like this.
  2. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you want noise canceling ones I'm not sure the beats ones are. I have the QC15's and they work well for me. They seem to drown out much of the background noise and engine sounds. About the only negative I have is the hard case is a little bulky. If you are traveling light with only a stuffed carry on you might be a little short on space.

IDGflygirl and marcwint55 like this.
  3. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    You might want to also consider custom molded ear phones such as Ultimate Ears.
    Some are a lot more expensive then the Bose or Beats but there are a few in the price range.
    I made my own custom molded ear phones out of some Skull Candy ear phones and they work well and take up no space. Got the idea from Indestructibles.

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    IDGflygirl, marcwint55 and viguera like this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have the Bose and also a Sennheiser. I much prefer the Sennheiser for sound and durability.

6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even non-custom IEMs cut the noise noticably better than noise cancelling phones, if they have a decent fit. Audio quality is also better. Unless you must have a "high tech" option or are uncomfortable with things stuffed in your ears, IEMs are a very good choice that are not nearly as popular as they should be. They pack down to near nothing, cut noise noticeably better than anything else I've tried (including irregular, short duration stuff that active cancelling doesn't so so well with), provide better sound quality than active-cancelling phones, and can be surprisingly comfortable.

The downsides are that not everyone loves having things crammed in their ears, fit is very individual, and you can't exactly go to the store and try a bunch of them on. It takes a slight leap of faith to commit. Also, going custom isn't super cheap unless you want to try the DIY road.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  7. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me it's Bose for noise cancelling, Westone for in-ear and custom molded, and Bang & Olufsen for all other.

Really recommend QC15s, definitely above Beats. I've owned both, as well as the old QC2 and the QC15s are really a step above. They also feel lighter on your head over a long period of time compared to Beats by Dre.

8. foofiter

foofiter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys!

Seems you echo what I see while flying: Bose QC15.

I need to hit a Bose store so I can try them out for comfort but it sounds like I will not have an issue there.

I appreciate all the input. Very helpful!

Foo

9. dale.uark

dale.uark Active Member

Status Points:
    I use Able Planet headphones - they are a firm in the Denver/Boulder area that started in the business with hearing loss technology. Their top model came with an ipod touch, too, which I admit was a major temptation -- but we had the opportunity to go one-on-one, back-and forth in long real sessions against the Bose 15 on a biz class flite from Bejing where the Bose were handed out, and the AblePlanet unit had less of a back pressure feel, and better (clearer) audio to my ears. The Bose may have had a barely discernable edge in the noise cancelling as I recall, but the sense of pressure on the ears wasn't worth the gain. Worth a look - Brookstones caried them (kinda cheezy display) but you can also call/order from the company and they do have a website.

Switch2 likes this.
  10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use blackbox M16. I found them to be both better in noise cancellation and sound quality than the bose. I think they are around $300 in the USA so competitively priced with Bose as well. I bought them after reading a review in the Financial Times magazine about a year and a half ago- so far very satisified with the performance.

11. foofiter

foofiter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quick update:

I went with the Bose QC15. I tested them at Best Buy. They are great!

I had a $10 best buy gift card, a $25 Amex gift card, and $20 off $200+ purchase from amex sync. That made my out of pocket $265.99 for the headphones. The gift cards cost me $0 to obtain. Win!

I also like how they include an Apple/IPhone/iPad cable too. Nice touch.

Looking forward to trying them out next flight on Sept 3

Foo

IDGflygirl and storyteller like this.
  12. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have the Bose QC15s. A guy who was on a flight I was on had the Sennheiser PXC 450s, and he thought the Bose were better. We did a side-by-side and we both agreed: the Bose were better at canceling out 747 noise while still allowing you to hear conversation and music.

On-the-ground performance is different than in-the-air performance, and the Bose are the best I've had at the latter. Granted, I haven't tried everything, but I'm quite happy with my choice.

storyteller likes this.
  13. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got a pair of Beats as a Christmas gift and they work well but I would rather own Bose! The quality of Bose is much better and they have better customer service then Monster the maker of Beats. Just saving my pennies and waiting for the right miles promo to order a the QC15 ;)

storyteller likes this.
  14. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I bought a new pair of QC15's a couple years ago, got a free upgrade and my EWR-IAH flight home. Put the headphones on their nice case for landing and put the black case into the seat pocket out of the way. (some can probably guess where this is going). Got off the plane, got into my car and about half way home didn't remember putting headphones back into carry on bag. Pulled over searched bag and of course not there. Called Continental when I got home and lost and found the next morning. Of course nobody turned then in. Somebody on the flight to Rio (where the plane was going next) got themselves a week old pair of Bose QC15 headphones. :(

Me, I spent another $300 a week later for a new pair. (the guy at the bose store even remembered me).

2 weeks+2 pair of headphones+$600= one ticked off me.

guberif and healinginfluence like this.
  15. healinginfluence

healinginfluence Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you want noise canceling headphones I think Bose are the ones to buy. Personally I use Shure IEMs. They fit in my pocket and insulate the noise wonderfully. But not everyone wants to or feels comfortable sticking something in his or her ear. If I were you I would try Shure IEMs. If you buy them at the Apple Store or Best Buy you can return them within a limited period if they are not for you.

BTW I don't think the Beats are noise canceling and they are way overprices for what you get. Beats sells style not substance. Many people say that about Bose too but the noise canceling headphones work as advertised.

mattsteg likes this.
  16. Princess Fiona
    Original Member

Princess Fiona Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have Bose QC 15's and they are the best travel headphones I've ever owned. I do a bit of Long Haul travel and probably the only downside is that they are uncomfortable if you fall asleep wearing them.
    I don't think you will regret purchasing them, they even come with their own business cards in the carry-case :)

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

storyteller likes this.
  17. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed on all counts, although beats does have a noise cancelling model. IEMs are great, with better isolation, better sound quality, and a more convenient package vs noise cancellers. No battery dependence either. They are very much underrepresented, likely due to the sticking stuff in your ears issue as well trying them out in-store being a bit impractical.

healinginfluence likes this.