Headed to PRG for a long weekend. Want to take a day/two day trip. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by GreekDeno, Nov 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    We arrive mid day Friday, depart mid morning Tuesday. We're thinking Friday afternoon and Saturday in PRG and then take an overnight train to someplace. Spend Sunday in that someplace then take either an overnight or shorter train in the afternoon/evening to someplace else Sunday evening. Spend Monday in that someplace else then take a train back to Praha Monday evening to stay there and depart Tuesday.

So the question is what would you all suggest for that someplace and that someplace else? Or would you recommend just going to one other place given our short trip? I'm leaning towards one other destination.

My initial thoughts were:
    Prague-Budapest-Vienna-Prague
    Prague-Vienna-Bratislava-Prague
    Prague-Munich-Prague
    Prague-Vienna-Prague
    And while Tom911 recently did a Prague-Berlin trip and had an excellent write up, I don't think I want to go there this trip. http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/tom911-goes-to-berlin-and-prague.21287/#post-903028

TIA mp'ers.

2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldnt suggest PRG-MUC, thats a lot of train. Dresden is worth seeing and is much much closer.

BTS is nice, I go there all the time, but VIE would get my nod over BTS. to make it worth it, you may only want to do one city. If it were me, I would do PRG VIE PRG, especially if you haven't been to VIE. Plus the Christmas Markets are in full swing in VIE.

3. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I forgot to clarify that I'm going in Jan so no Christmas markets for me. I will definitely look at Dresden for a day trip.

Also, as a further clarification, I have not been to any of these places before.

4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Karlovy Vary is another nice one day excursion (bus from prague), and if your into skeletons, you can go to Kutna Hora and visit the Church of the Bones......http://www.outsideprague.com/kutna_hora/bone_church.html

5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Vienna will give you the most "bang for the buck". So many great sites to see, you can easily spend a day or 2 and not see everything. BTS is nice because its compact and the Old Town is very convenient. But VIE just has the sheer quantity!

RichardInSF likes this.