Headed to Australia in Feb 2015...suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by clscholes, Nov 27, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I are traveling to Sydney Feb 2015...any tips, suggestions, places we MUST see? The flights are free (except taxes) from miles, so we are pretty pumped!

Sweet Willie likes this.
  2. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sydney harbor bridge walk - what a view from the top. And of course tour "The Rocks".

3. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    What are your likes? I enjoy Blue Mountain and there are a few vineyards in the area. The cheap guy that I am, I quite enjoy the ferry ride through the Harbour. It will also be pretty hot, so the beaches will be packed. The last time I was there, i stayed at the Park Hyatt. It was a real nice place to stay and they gave me a room overlooking the Sydney Opera house (I enjoyed the tour there, not sure which productions may be taking place when you visit, but its worth it!

4. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    We are definitely going to the Blue Mountains, and Tosca is at the opera house, so that is a must. What is the Rocks? I've been to Sydney and I don't remember that.

5. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Harry's Pies

[​IMG]

6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Rocks is the original part of Sydney around the time of the colony's formation. It was a slum area until recent gentrification and now a major tourist area. Some of the nicest hotels (like PH) are in the area. It is also accessible to the Ferry terminal.

I also forgot the Zoo, a fun place to visit.

7. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I enjoyed the Bridge Climb on my last visit. Sadly it rained during my stay so I couldn't do the coastal walk from Bondi (hopefully next trip). Definitely do Opera House tour (before attending event there) to learn about how the materials chosen affect the performances/sound/ etc. it made our show so much better.

I love the ferry to Manly for Harbour views and a nice lunch with water/beach views.

my dinner at the Park Hyatt (wasn't staying there) was fantastic! Obviously views of opera house were good as was food and service.

Haights chocolates were lovely local find

darling Harbour has fireworks at night (check schedule) which were nice with dinner despite rains

have fun - one of my favorite cities

Sweet Willie likes this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was in SYD last March and I pretty much agree with what has been suggested. Within and just around the city much can be seen/accessed by just walking, depending on where you are staying. I provide below a map of the area that I did on foot from Hilton Sydney where I stayed. Some of the places that have been mentioned are underscored in red on the map. I will "show & tell" below with some photos I took of those points of interest. The thick dark line is the path that I did comfortably on foot.

upload_2014-11-28_22-9-36.png

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. Hilton Sydney
    I stayed at Hilton Sydney, which is just off George Street, one of SYD's main streets that can connect you to most places and is lined up with bars, restaurants, shops, etc... You can do much by just going up and down George Street. As I said, I stayed at Hilton Sydney, where I had to wait for about 3 hours before being checked in because I got there early in the morning and was upgraded to a junior suite, which was still occupied by the previous guest. Fortunately, it seemed that I was in great company as the world famous "SQ Girls" also seemed to be in the same predicament. This is one of the busiest Hilton properties I have ever seen.

SYD-1.png

2. Circular Quay
    One of the recommended attractions is the ferry. Taking George St. on foot all the way down to Sydney Harbour leads straight to Circular Quay (pronounced "Key", although variants can be heard), where you can take "Captain Cook Cruises" to see a number of cool locations around the Harbour (Shark Island, Luna Park, go by the Opera House, etc...).

SYD-2.png

3. Darling Harbour
    You can also continue on foot among the Harbour and see quite a few things. In the photos below, you can see Park Hyatt Sydney on the left and how one sees the Opera House from there. Going around the bend and walking a bit one gets to Darling Harbour, which is a must for just relaxing with a drink (you'll be ready for after the walk), eating since it's got a large food court and many seafood restaurants, or just to take in the view.

SYD-3.png

4. China Town
    Taking George St in the opposite direction (i.e. up) one winds up in Sydney's China Town, recommended for affordable dining if one has budgetary concerns. Traditional Chinese restaurants, and other N and SE Asian delicacies can be found. I particularly enjoyed picking a live fish and having it steamed right there, Chinese style...

SYD-4.png

I hope my "Show & Tell", which was just an excuse for me to relive my own trip Down Under, is of some help!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  10. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you just going to Sydney or did you have something else in mind? I've probably done a good 20 trips to Australia now, dating back 20 years when I would go over and backpack a month at a time.

If you are locked into Sydney, I'd suggest a trip up to Katoomba and the Blue Mountains. You can easily walk from the train station at Katoomba through town, past the RSL (pop in for lunch and you'll be made welcome), and to the Three Sisters trailhead and visitors center. There is a cog railway along the trail where you can exit and walk back into town. If you didn't want to do this independently, there are plenty of organized bus tours from Sydney. It's the type of trip you really want to plan around the weather, as you would not want to do it in the rain.
    http://www.bluemts.com.au/info/thingstodo/threesisters/

11. josephrichie99

josephrichie99 New Member

Status Points:
    The top 5 things to check out while you are in sydney
    1.Sydney Harbour
    2.Bondi to Coogee Beach Coastal Walk
    3.The Opera House to the Botanic Gardens Walk
    4.Royal Botanic Gardens
    5.Sydney Harbour Bridge
    Enjoying the day....

12. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    This. Is. Amazing. Thanks! Keep the suggestions coming!

13. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed, Mrs Willie & I have always enjoyed this as well as lounging/swimming on beach there as well.
    just Sydney?

14. We are all psychic and know your budget and how much you want to spend on everything so we can give detailed advice

15. I know this might seem a little harsh but please put how much you are willing to spend. Its useless giving advice for Park Hyatt if you can only spend 75 dollars a night. Its useless suggesting Quay for dinner if you only have 20 dollars for dinner.

16. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry about that! That would be helpful to know budget, eh? We actually have a bed and breakfast reserved that is right in the area of the Harbor, so accommodations are not an issue. However, we are looking to average around 150-200 a day as far as expenses during the trip, so with breakfast covered, probably one nice meal a day, as well as some wiggle room for trips within Sydney. Does that help?

17. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    150-200 does not include lodging.

18. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to talk again, Willie! Yes, just Sydney this time.

19. How many days? Sorry if you explained this

20. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    We will be there 8 days.

21. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    that is a lot of time for just Sydney, very fun city & you'll have a blast, just a lot of time for one city. Highly suggest you consider @tom911 's suggestion about hiking/touring the Blue Mountains for a day.

clscholes and ella like this.
  22. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I loved Sydney, but agree 8 days sounds like a long time for one city. I did a day trip to the Blue Mountains and enjoyed that too, so also agree with that recommendation!

clscholes and Sweet Willie like this.
  23. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    We definitely plan on going to the Blue Mountains, and hopefully taking Tom's advice! We had thought of possibly flying to another city for a couple of days, but weren't sure of the good options. I have been to Brisbane, and wasn't particularly fond of it...but that just may have been because of the hooligans in the squares at night.