He didn't push his seat back for 10 years

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by guinnessxyz, Jun 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23002635

But the worst thing about air travel (I then determined) was what happens in row 21, when the seat belt signs are switched off and passengers are free to move around.
    Immediately, zonk! Back comes the seat as the person in front assumes relax mode as a default position.
    So, faced with the anonymous unpleasantness of the passenger in front of me, I made a public vow. Never again - I promised listeners - would I press that tempting shiny button on the right hand side of the armrest.

2. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with this guy on a bunch of stuff but the seats over the wings. That is the strongest part of the aircraft so I enjoy those seats in a somewhat false sense of security.
    I don't recline my seat either unless in a stretched row area, etc. but I think many of the "bad" recliners are the novice flyers that only think about themselves and not the other passengers.

3. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:

I don't think so. I think some folks just lack a general care of people around them, and I've seen some pretty arrogant full-of-themselves elites in my days (both as a lower-tier UA elite now, and a former DL gate agent).

I posted this long ago, but I had a *funny* occurrence on a 65 minute CRJ flight last year. This stuck up elite next to me thought the electronics policy didn't apply to him. Had to be told (politely) 3 times to turn his phone off, until the FA came along and stood there until he turned it off. Of course he had an iPhone and thought that blanking the screen turned it off. FA stood there and said, "ok, so now are you going to turn it off?" (her tone may have crossed the line, but it was obvious that the polite options had been exhausted). Eventually she actually walked him though how to turn it off; push there, swipe here. The best part of the story is that the second we rotated... maybe 10 feet off the deck, he's got his finger on the recline button and slamming his seat back; not a subtle recline but an immediate split-second push to full recline (like that 3" of recline is going to suddenly drastically improve your CRJ experience). When he was offered the drink service, he just grunted and frowned at the FA.

It was a flight of both shock, and carefully holding back the giggles as he did one stupid thing after another. It just goes to show that you don't have to be a first time flyer or casual annual flier to be a d*ck. Everyone has bad days, and if you work in travel/hospitality, or travel frequently, you're going to see people on their best and worst days, but this guy just gave off a sense of "I own this plane, and you're here to serve me and me alone".

ella and LETTERBOY like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

I don't know the difference between a bad recliner or a good recliner, but I do know that flying 150,000 miles or so per year does not make me a novice. On the rare occasion that I am not seated in first, I certainly feel no remorse about reclining my seat. I pay for the seat which includes the right to use all of it's features. If the person behind me does not like that, they have the choice of reclining their own seat or paying to fly up front and not having an issue. I certainly do not do this to be rude, but I am quite uncomfortable sitting in an upright position.

MX, Gargoyle and guinnessxyz like this.
  5. I agree. if you pay for a seat you should be able to use all its features. Next thing you know people will be complaining that their seat mate has ordered food they don't like and that it is impolite to do so.

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The difference is in execution. I recline my seatback slowly, and usually a bit at a time, and I try to glance back first to make sure there isn't an open laptop on the tray table. I also don't recline all the way, and certainly I wouldn't slam it back all the way in one fell swoop.

LETTERBOY, daninstl, 8MiHi and 3 others like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I reserve the right to recline my seat, but I often don't recline.

ella, 8MiHi, violist and 3 others like this.
  8. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You frequently decline to recline.

Kalboz, daninstl, 8MiHi and 5 others like this.
  9. Its more fun to slam it back in turbulence when the tray behind you is full of food.:D

10. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well, I guess that's one form of In-Flight Entertainment.

:p

marcwint55 and guinnessxyz like this.
  11. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    In coach I rarely recline more than one notch. On flights with meals I stay upright until trays are collected in the row behind me. I am not sure what I would do if flying international coach as I often want to skip the meal or eat fast and go to sleep. I have not done an international flight in coach recently. I may start though as the economy plus type seating seems a better value than business for most leisure trips. If so, I would recline when ready and assume that my 6" recline would not cause serious discomfort for the people behind me.

marcwint55, Gargoyle and guinnessxyz like this.
  12. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think so. if you pay for a seat you should be able to use all its features only at that time. :)

13. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    But what if you are in the seats in front of the ones that don't recline. We have been in the seats in front of the Exit Row that do not recline at all. and we had one flight where the passengers in front of us reclined fully and then sat sideways to play cards. Giving my wife a space of about 10 inches from the back of the seat in front to her nose. Very hard to even read that close. Asked the people kindly to not recline all the way and were ignored. Asked Flight Attendant for help. She was ignored. Fortunately it was only about a two hour flight. Wife eventually went to sleep.

So remember your row when you recline. the one behind may not recline.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Or you could be in the second row of exit row on a UA A320 with huge leg room and E- hell starts with the row behind you...

Mapsmith likes this.
  15. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably not gonna happen to me. UA only flies minis out of TUS so usually stuck on AA or DL when I fly somewhere.

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've been in that situation many times as those exit row seats are some of the most desirable ones. E+ "heaven" right next to E- hell. And during day time flights I don't recline. Red eye I usually do recline as I assume pretty much everyone will do assuming their seats allow it.

Mapsmith likes this.