Hawaiian Now Not Charging Bag Fees When Connecting to UA Mainland Flights For UA Premiers

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by avflyer, Oct 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ever since HA instituted bag fees, they charged said fee eve when connecting to a UA flight back to the mainland. This despite the fact that the flight was code shared and I was ticketed on a UA flight number.

At any rate, the least two times I did a web check in on the HA site for my KOA-HNL/OGG segment, the bag screen allowed me (once as a 1P and ones as a 1K) two free 50 lb bags. This was also good for my wife who is an Air Canada Super Elite.

To make things even curiouser, the counter agent at KOA tried to charge me for the fee, requiring me to prove that I was eligible for the free bags by accessing the kiosk. Weird that HA personell aren't even aware of this rule change.

At any rate, does anyone know when this changed? Is it permanent? Was there no anouncement?

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well... we paid for one checked bag at the end of August for LIH-HNL connecting to a UA flight. 1P and 1K. Online checkin didn't even work for us.

hulagrrl210 and avflyer like this.
  3. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just spoke to the 1K desk and they had no idea what I was talking about.

This is what the HAL website sez and it makes no sense to me with reference to the current conversation:

"For codeshare flights, fees for operating carriers apply. Check-in luggage on flights connecting to another carrier airlines are subject to the other airline's luggage charges and restrictions in addition to Hawaiian Airlines' check-in luggage charges. For baggage rules, restrictions, fees, and other information for codeshare / partner / other airline flights, please see the links below:"

IMHO, what this says is that you pay HAL fees in ADDITION to your other carriers fees. It also says that in terms of code-share "fees for operating carriers apply". Since they (HAL) are the operating carrier on an intersiland code share, then their fees apply.

I'm beginning to think this is a glitch in the HAL website especially in view of the fact that no one at the repsective airlines has any knowledge of this.

4. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you use the HAL website to check in for your HAL flight? That's where I found it.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I tried. It gave me some sort of useless error (even though I had the Hawaiian record locator) and told me to check in with an agent.

avflyer likes this.
  6. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know how long you have been traveling to the islands, but they have really sucked all the fun out of it. You sort of expect that on mainland / legacy carrier flights, but I remember when Hawaii used to be a whole different thing.

You would step on that big old UA 742, and the FAs were all wearing Aloha clothing, Don Ho was playing on the PA system. Every announcement was followed by a gentle "Mahalo". You were already there.

Yesterday, they anounced that they forgot to board Mai Tais. I can't even get a FREAKIN MAI TAI in Hawaii!!!

The world has gone to hell in a hand-basket I tell you.

unavaca and Flyer1976 like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My experience has been the opposite. First trip was with Continental back in 1995. A few subsequent trips were with Pleasant Hawaiian/Suntrips/ATA on terrible charter aircraft with 17" seat pitch. But the last five or so years -- after discovering FT -- I have been flying first class on United while paying for coach. And I am also no longer staying in those fleabag "Aston" hotels anymore :) So I am really not complaining, even if First Class to Hawaii today is maybe not quite the experience it was 20 years ago.

Scottrick and avflyer like this.
  8. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I started out in the 70s when Continental had THE PUB. I think fleas would have take umbrage at you comparing their bags to Aston hotels. Unfortunately Hawaii is still full of uncaring operators.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  9. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember plenty of those Aston hotels and charter aircraft when I was younger. Also thanks to MP and FT, I'm going to OGG in UA F and have an oceanfront room at Hyatt in February. My dad is amazed ...and yet he still thinks this whole mentality is crazy. Good thing I already gave up on seeking his approval. :rolleyes:

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have given up explaining the details (and effort) involved in getting great details. Makes me look like a genius instead of a crazy guy who needs his head examined :)

avflyer likes this.
  11. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you remember TROPICAL RENT A CAR??? My Travel Agent used to love them because their rates were so good. One time we actually had to buy roach bombs and fumigate one of the mini-vans they rented to us.

12. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    No wonder they have gone out of business. Haha nowadays you can get Alamo economy cars for ~$100/week!

avflyer likes this.
  13. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was on one of those planes to Hawaii a number of years ago and was standing at the bar when we hit a sudden air pocket. We were on the ceiling, the floor, partway back to the ceiling, and then, like a crazed version of musical chairs, we all started scrambling to grab onto table legs or strap ourselves into one of the pub seats. Fortunately, no one was injured in any way. As close to being on NASA’s vomit comet as I’ve gotten to date!

14. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    United actually completely got rid of the mai tai's for a couple years, so things are actually looking up in this crazy world of ours.

I also got hit with those bulls*** interisland bags fees flying OGG-HNL-SFO recently as a 1P on a ticket I booked with United, OGG-HNL even had a UA flight number. I complained to both airlines (HA and UA) and tried to get a refund, but unfortunately "operating" carrier rules prevail, Hawaiian couldn't care less about with status with United (turns out United doesn't even really care about my status with United) and I'm still out the $27. So much for the Aloha spirit!

15. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try flying over the West Maui mountains in an Island Air Dash-8. Passengers were crying and the pilots were still laughing when we finally landed.

16. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    A helicopter ride in Maui, followed by another one in Kauai a few days later almost put me off flying altogether.:confused::eek:

hulagrrl210 likes this.