Hawaiian - Denver

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Airlines | HawaiianMiles' started by dennisb, Dec 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Will somebody at Hawaiian pleeeease consider a Honolulu - Denver flight. We who must travel this route are held captive by United's increasingly inept service and schedule. It should be a goldmine! - the 1x/wk nonstop is always filled and what a terrific recipient from feeds throughout the midwest! please, think about it. I will switch mileage programs in a heartbeat! On a connecting flight I just tried to make they wanted to take me from Denver to Sfo I think it was and then to Maui and then on a teeny tiny Island Air plane (!!!) to Kona. Really!!??

2. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well they did start service to NY so maybe there will be more expansion in the future? I'd love to see ORD service, too since that's do-able from my location.

Lyssa likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    alohastephen likes this.
  4. free101girl
    Original Member

free101girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree, that would be fantastic. Right now we fly to LA, spend the night and then take Hawaiian. It's that much better than United.

YULtide and alohastephen like this.
  5. kziel

kziel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hawaiian has absolutely no network in DEN, and DEN has a reach of far fewer people than any other destination Hawaiian serves. UA has dozens of flights that feed their daily service, and it can't be that much of a gold mine because United cut most of their DEN-Hawaii flights.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

6. AbFabSkyLife

AbFabSkyLife Member

Status Points:
    I agree. The points on Hawaiian's route map have to support O&D traffic. They've done so well with West Coast traffic because Hawai'i is like the Florida for Left Coasters - long weekends and multiple trips a year aren't out of the question. Although I would venture an estimate that the Colorado Corridor catchment area would be large enough to support additional service to Hawai'i - assuming it can be wrenched away from United, which has had success with offering seasonal service to Neighbor Islands nonstop from DEN.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1!
    I believe that United/Continental is the only direct route from Denver to Honolulu. Hawaiian would be a welcome alternative. ;)

8. kziel

kziel Silver Member

Status Points:
    The route is a CO 764, which according to seat guru has power and personal IFE at every seat and international BF seats.

alohastephen likes this.
  9. free101girl
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Um, no. There is ONE non-stop per day from DEN-HNL on CO. Non-stop service is on a 767-400 with standard (domestic) BF recliner seats. One-stop service through LAX uses a variety of equipment for the LAX-HNL route (777, 767-300, A320), none of it with BF Intl seats.

Fare ranges from $750-$1000 in coach, $4100-$5200 in BF. If you take the one-stop through LAX, coach fare is slightly lower: starts at $530 in coach and $3100 in BF.

The non-stop HNL-DEN is a redeye departing at 11 pm. Personally I hate those. You need to pay for an extra night at your hotel in order to have access to pool/shower, etc. (even if you score a 4 pm check-out, you still have hours to kill before you head to the airport). Then you have to sleep on the plane, in regular recliners. No thanks.

By contrast, later this month we are flying UA COS-LAX on a CRJ (bit over 2 hours) for $422, then HA LAX-HNL for $1800 in F. Service on HA is friendly unlike the surly service on CO or UA. All daytime flights, and the two flights can be done in one day, though we don't -- we prefer to overnight at a hotel in LA to make the trip more relaxing.

YULtide likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I like the red-eyes from HNL (to SFO in my case) as they let me maximize the time (usually a long weekend). On the last day, I usually rent a car in Waikiki to explore the island after checking out of the hotel, have a leisurely dinner somewhere, and then return the car at the airport in time for checkin. And then I am back in the Bay Area at the crack of dawn, "ready" to go to work after a quick shower at home.

But yeah, sleeping in those standard F seats isn't that great :)

deant likes this.
  11. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which flight uses an A320? And IMHO, HA staff is just as rude and insensitive to customer needs as any airline I have ever seen.

12. free101girl
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Can't remember. I had the info in front of me at the time I posted two weeks ago. Check ITA or United.com.

YULtide likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I do not believe I have ever seen a UA flight from CA to Hawaii operated by an A320.

14. free101girl
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I know there are A320 flights LAX-DEN. It's possible I looked at the wrong segment (LAX-DEN segment instead of LAX-HNL segment) on one of the listed flights.

YULtide likes this.
  15. kziel

kziel Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only issue with that is that there are only two models of the 764 that CO operates, both have the same seats, it's just a matter of how many. The old CO Micronesia planes and the mainline ones that do the flights to Europe have the recliner seats with 55 inches of pitch and 156 degrees of recline.

I guess we have a difference of opinion here, I like the night flights because I can spend all day in Hawaii instead of flying home all day.

United doesn't use A320s between Hawaii and the US.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  16. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Impossible to operate an A320 from the mainland to Hawaii. They do not have the proper ETOPS certifications nor will they ever have them, sharklets or not. (Thank God). The A320 / 321 NEO may be able to operate that mission, so look to UAL to purchase some for at least that market. :(

17. kziel

kziel Silver Member

Status Points:
    ETOPS aside, they could easily make the run. A320s routinely fly SFO-BOS, which is 2,704 miles, longer than any of UAs CA-Hawaii routes, but they won't bother, they have 738s that do the run.

18. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tough to put ETOPS aside, it's all about engine reliability and ability to fly the specified number of minutes with a full load on one engine without stressing the crew. The A320 is only rated to ETOPS 120 and (as an example) LAX-HNL requires an ETOPS 180 rating. I agree that the aircraft has plenty of range, so there must be something in the frame / engine combination that prevents it from carrying a full load 180 minutes on one engine.

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure?

http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/225331-airbus-faa-approved-180min-etops-a320-series.html

Or does this approval only apply to aircraft built after approval (which UA's certainly aren't).

avflyer likes this.
  20. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    HMMM...must be something to do with the date of manufacture....this whole ETOPS thing is very confusing. I'm sure this is another case where UAL just isn't doing the certification paperwork / testing. It is interesting however, that NO ONE operates these missions with the Airbus single aisles.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  21. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it would be awesome to have service from Chicago. Right now we are planning a trip next year to Hawaii. I want to fly to Hilo first, but don't want to fly AA to HNL and then get a different connecting flight to Hilo on Hawaiian in case there are any delays, etc. I think we are going to fly to Las Vegas the night before, hit a show, and then fly on Hawaiian to Hilo with the stop in HNL. Coming home we will most likely take a direct flight from HNL to ORD on AA.

22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I may be misunderstanding you, but either way you're going to have a connection in HNL, whether between AA and Hawaiian or connecting from one Hawaiian flight to the inter-island one. And delays could happen on either one of the inbound, and since you can book the intra-island one as an AA code share on Hawaiian, you'd effectively have the same protection. Of course, if you book the intra-island one separately, you might be in trouble if you arrive too late.

23. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    CO runs LAX-ITO non stop. Not sure about the frequency.

YULtide likes this.
  24. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would go to Hilo first just for a couple of days, then go to Oahu for a timeshare week. So that flight from Hilo back to Oahu would just be on it's own, then a week later I would get a nonstop flight on AA from HNL to ORD. I guess that probably wasn't very clear.