Hawaiian Airlines New (9/1/11) Actual Mileage Policy - No 500 minimum unless Elite/Hawaiian Visa

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Airlines | HawaiianMiles' started by Kaanapali, May 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hawaiian Airlines (for tickets purchased on/after 9/1/11) will only award actual mileage flown instead of the current 500 mile minimum. Elites and Hawaiian Airlines Visa Cardholders will continue to get at least a 500 mile minimum.

From the email :
    "Effective September 1, 2011, members will earn HawaiianMiles equal to the actual distance flown on all Hawaiian Airlines flights.
    Pualani Platinum, Pualani Gold, Premier Club, and Hawaiian Airlines Visa Cardholders are exempt from this change.
    The new policy will go into effect for travel on or after September 1, 2011. Tickets purchased prior to September 1, 2011 will earn the current mileage."

Chimpy and avflyer like this.
  2. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Isn't also true that they don't aggregate on non-stop routes? So, if you fly KOA-HNL-OGG, then you still get 84 miles?

Kaanapali likes this.
  3. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the HNL-OGG segment...according to the HA website...you would get 101 miles....I think 84 miles is the KOA-OGG....so if the plane did not stop and had the same route number...you might be right...will verify this...

Here is a chart that may assist in calculation of miles
    tickets purchse on or after September 1, 2011:

New Mileage Earning Chart*
    Route ---- Elite/HV Card ---- Non-Elite

Honolulu - Hilo ------500 ------------216
    Honolulu - Kona ----500 ------------163
    Honolulu - Lihue ----500------------ 102
    Honolulu - Kahului --500------------ 101
    Lihue - Kahului ------500------------ 201
    Hilo - Kahului --------500------------ 120
    Kona - Kahului -----500 --------------84

*Per segment

I apologize for the chart - the 5 image limit rule prevented copying/pasting the chart in full

avflyer and Chimpy like this.
  4. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    *sigh. Probably means that I'll want to get the HA Horrible Visa now(25% off a companion's tix?And people wonder why I like my AS Visa so much) :rolleyes:

Chimpy and Kaanapali like this.
  5. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    The email and the web site both have 35k bonus offer links for the Bank of Hawaii HA visa.

And you may be able to double dip and also get the B of A one also, if it's still offered.

-David

6. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    The BoA's offered for sure and the Bank of Hawaii one doesn't mind my SAN address...Now I won't get the nasty stares at Zippys when I pay with my AS visa:D(SPG causes less stares)...
    Now for the bigger question:will HA take away my miles if I cancel the BoA or the Bank of Hawaii card(I'll probably keep the Bank of Hawaii one in a pathetic attempt to look like a local..but going to miss online billpay integrated into BoA)?

Chimpy likes this.
  7. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haha, the thing is they really don't care what credit card you use as long as they get paid. AS is running a lot of flights here these days. :)

The typical way to handle credit card churning is to cancel when it comes up for renewal. You either have to pay for one year anyway, or the first years fee is waived. There's really no reason to cancel earlier than that, and you avoid any issues that way.

-David

bakedpatato likes this.
  8. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    I should know, AS is taking a large chunk of my paycheck with SAN-OGG :oops::D
    First time churner, good to know! Thanks LIH Prem!

Chimpy likes this.
  9. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Hawaiian Miles T&C link on the HA website is non-functioning (tried two different browsers). So I cannot be definite on this especially with he new program. However, the last time I flew KOA-OGG, I went through HNL and only got credit for 500 miles despite a flight number and plane change. That is why I believe, that starting in Spetember, KOA-HNL-OGG will be 84 miles (as an example). The same would fly to flights between all neighbor islands with connections. At least, that's the way it looks to me.