Hawaiian Airlines Meal Service and more!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by flynhwn, Mar 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just flew in on Hawaiian and I thought it was worth mentioning that along with their low prices they are also the only domestic carrier to give you a FREE meal.
    If you happen to be a Pualani Gold or above you also get the media package for FREE.
    Flight attendants are also very nice and courteous...Glad to see they still have the Aloha spirit!

Flyer1976, Max M, MissBurrill and 4 others like this.
  2. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Coach, right?

3. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, in coach!

Flyer1976, free101girl and gregm like this.
  4. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very nice. I only flew Hawaiian in-between HNL and LIH a few times, so definitely no meals on those short flights, but I was definitely impressed with their customer service.

Flyer1976, Newscience and free101girl like this.
  5. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    I took Hawaiian from the West coast in coach a couple of years back. It is commendable that they provide something, but I would not call it a meal service. A box with a little sandwich with almost nothing in it and perhaps a cookie will tide you over; that is about all. Still, I admire their Aloha Spirit. The downside to flying with them was that they fly into Honolulu, and you have to take a connecting flight to other islands, making the travel time much longer.

6. free101girl
    Original Member

free101girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, no, Hawaiian does not just fly to HNL. I flew OGG-SEA non-stop on Hawaiian a few days ago, and Hawaiian has many other non-stops to and from the various islands from LAX and other west coast airports. A full hot meal was served in Coach at no charge, on both of my recent flights. (I flew in First but I saw the Coach meals.)

Have to agree with the OP -- Hawaiian has a lot to offer, including helpful, friendly flight attendants.

7. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I stand corrected. Perhaps things have changed since I took Hawaiian for my annual pilgrimage.

That I don't doubt.

Newscience, gregm and free101girl like this.
  8. rduncan206

rduncan206 Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they serve meals in coach but the last 2 meals I had on Hawaiian were horrible. SEA-OGG was pasta with tomato sauce and mushrooms (no meat), and the return was some kind of chicken (teriyaki, I think) that was all dark meat and actually, more fat, skin and gristle than meat. Revolting.

9. Pablo England

Pablo England New Member

Status Points:
    I did not yet went in that place and i did not yet experience going in air plane with a free meal and for me this is really interesting.

Newscience likes this.
  10. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew OGG-HNL a month ago, and a passenger in F asked the FA if First Class got a meal. [time in the air for OGG-HNL is ~30 minutes]

11. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    The FA should have replied "yes, they get a meal; pretzels for dinner and peanuts for desert."

12. free101girl
    Original Member

free101girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I sat in F on the same route and the woman sitting next to me managed to get served TWO glasses of red wine in that time span -- pretty impressive considering most of the flight consists of take-off and landing... :D

Newscience, Flyer1976 and gregm like this.
  13. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be on HNL-OGG in F next month and plan on having two Champagne splits or Koloa Rums if possible. ;)

gregm and Newscience like this.
  14. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you get straight Koloa rum on the flight? I don't like being a naysayer, but to us, the Koloa rum punch tastes like bad medicine. We've seen people return bottles of Koloa rum punch to the stores in Hawaii after they taste it!

gregm likes this.
  15. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd probably be mixing it with Coca-Cola but if it's really that nasty I guess I won't drink anything. :oops:

gregm and Newscience like this.