Hawaiian Airline inter island flights How dependable are they?

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Airlines | HawaiianMiles' started by jwsky, Jul 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will need to catch my HNL-SAN flight on Alaska Air after a hop on the Hawaian flight from Kauai. How much time should I leave myself in HNL? Do these short flights leave mostly on time? Ever get cancelled?
    I don't want a big layover in HNL, but will do it to be safe. If I miss the Alaska flight, i will be SOL.

2. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    My experience with Hawaiian Airlines interisland sticking to their schedule is very good. They don't seem to cancel much, since weather is rarely a factor and Hawaiian's interisland fleet is relatively young.

Once you get off your interisland flight, be careful to stay within security. (I am assuming you'll check your bags straight through to Alaska Air so you won't have to pick them up in HNL-- which can sometimes be a source of delay.)

You will have to pass through USDA agricultural inspection on your way to your Alaska Air gates, although there is little or no delay at this inspection station.

Since Alaska Air uses gates 21-24 at HNL you won't have too far to walk....15-20 minutes for a leisurely stroll. The Interisland Terminal is the blank box in the lower right hand corner of this schematic of HNL.

[​IMG]

3. Downunder girl
    Original Member

Downunder girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have used HA inter-island flights before and doing so again soon. We departed and arrived on time from OGG-HNL, no problems at all. Planes are the 717s and they are relatively new, AFAIK. The other good news is, they seem to have a lot of flights going back and forth, so if you have an issue on one flight, there will be another very shortly after :D

4. jhflau11
    Original Member

jhflau11 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree with Downunder girl. They have lots of flights. Was flying back OGG-HNL to catch a flight back home and our flight was delayed enough that we would miss our connection. They got us on an earlier flight and even got our checked luggage on to that earlier flight.

5. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone for the comments. we have returned from this trip and had no timing problems.

I do have one complaint about Hawaian air. We had no broading pass so we checked in at the airport. They insisted on wieghing our carry on bags and said it was too heavy. I managed to stuff enough things in my pockets, but my wife had to check her bag for a $17 fee. These bags were standard size and not full of bricks. Had we been able to print our own boarding passes at our condo, no one would have know the difference. $17 is not that much, but it rubbed me the wrong way to be singled out this way.

avflyer likes this.
  6. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    When did this happen? I thought they stopped that B.S.

7. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good answer!!!! Thank you!!

HiIslands likes this.
  8. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    We were in Kauai in December last year.

avflyer likes this.
  9. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Crap! These guys just keep getting scummier all of the time.