Hawaiian Air InterIsland Baggage Fee

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Airlines | HawaiianMiles' started by alohastephen, Mar 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    First bag$17

Second bag$17

Additional bags$25 each

Besides not bringing any, is there any way to get around Hawaiian Air's Interisland baggage fee?

I know that some airlines have waived fees for credit card holders. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like my Bank of America Hawn Air card has such a benefit.

I'm flying interisland between HNL and KOA. Mrs. alohastephen tends to come with baggage.;)

2. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I have the Delta credit card and Delta is code sharing a Hawaiian Operated flight, does this apply?
    First Checked Bag Free

Basic Cardmembers with a Gold, Platinum, or Reserve Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express may check their first bag for free on all Delta and Delta Connection® flights. The benefit applies to up to 9 people traveling in the eligible Cardmember’s reservation.
    :cool:

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excuse me, but why did you marry someone who comes with baggage?

4. sun
    Original Member

sun Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have status with Delta or an Amex Delta card AND if you were connecting from a Delta flight and get Delta to check your bag all the way to KOA, you wouldn't have to pay the baggage fee. Else, codeshare or not, you have to pay a fee.

Note that in the first case, HA will get to charge the baggage fee on the return trip KOA-HNL-???. There's no way to avoid that since they will be accepting your bags.

alohastephen likes this.
  5. sun
    Original Member

sun Silver Member

Status Points:
    It looks like things will get better. There are two rules: IATA resolution 302 and US DOT Order 2009-9-20 (05Oct09) which supersedes the previous one.

JL has the text of the IATA resolution and EVA has some examples and the relevant part of DOT order. LAN and CX have nice explanations as well.

According to the US DOT order, if you bought the ticket from Delta, then its fee rules should apply to the entire ticket. However, DOT has decided not to enforce this for a six-month period with respect to interline itineraries or with respect to code-share itineraries involving international flights, or domestic flights of different mainline carriers.

avflyer and alohastephen like this.
  6. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hindsight is 20/20 ;)

7. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Related to this baggage fee, a few weeks ago when we island hopped 3 times on HU, we checked via kiosk ad were only charged $10 per fir checked bag. I wasn't sure why as the only status I have is UA premier. I even dummy checked a 2nd bag and it wohl have been $17 for that. Wonder what was up with that...

alohastephen likes this.
  8. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kiosk prices not updated perhaps. Good to know.

9. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Weird because my parents island hopped (on another flight) and they were charged the standard $17 for the first check-in.

alohastephen likes this.
  10. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe it's just one particluar kiosk?

11. sun
    Original Member

sun Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to HA, the fee for the first bag is $10 for tickets issued before Aug 31, 2011.

avflyer and alohastephen like this.
  12. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, the way I am reading this, when I buy a ticket from United, and I fly a code-share on HA metal from KOA-HNL , starting June 7th HA is not allowed to charge me for bags considering UA does not charge me. In fact, if I do pay the fee betwen now and June 7th, I am entitled to a refund. Is this correct?

Can't wait to send a letter to HA customer service with a copy of this regulation asking for my $17 back.....

alohastephen likes this.
  13. sun
    Original Member

sun Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think so. Although the date for this to be done automatically might by July 24.

I am unclear on DOT's intention. Is it that the whole journey be considered to determine the MSC without taking into account any stopovers or is it the MSC for the journey to the first stopover point which counts for the entire ticket? The result can be quite different.

Suppose I were doing KOA-HA-HNL(stopover)-UA-XXX and the HA segment isn't a codeshare. HA's fee is $17 for inter-island flights and $25 for flights to the mainland. In the latter case, HA's baggage provisions apply and there would be a $25 fee. If its the former, its not clear if I need to pay a fee since MSC hasn't been defined for a domestic ticket.

alohastephen and avflyer like this.
  14. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    No matter what, it is a boondoggle. No one will be able to understand the rule unless it is properly programmed into the system. (Good luck on that one). IMHO, if you buy a codeshare ticket and you are flying on a UA flight number, no matter who's metal you should enjoy at least the baggage privileges of your UA status (I use UA as an example).

alohastephen and hulagrrl210 like this.
  15. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    8MiHi likes this.
  16. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This apparently isn't happening or I misunderstand the intent of the order. Momma flyer just went from KOA-HNL(HA)-IAH(UA). HOA chrged her for her bags even though she was booked on a UA code share flight number and she paid UA for the tickets.

Any thoughts out there?

8MiHi likes this.