Hawaiian Air Drops Taipei

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Airlines | HawaiianMiles' started by HiIslands, Mar 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hawaiian Airlines announced it will drop service from HNL to TPE in about a month.

Hawaiian Air President Mark Dunkerly stated:

"The increase in travelers we have come to expect, when the U.S. visa waiver was extended to additional countries, has not materialized in Taiwan, and it became evident very quickly that there is insufficient awareness of Hawai‘i among residents of Taiwan for non-stop service to be successful. At the same time, demand in peak travel days in South Korea has encouraged us to deploy our larger A330 aircraft on that route."

I was surprised that Hawaiian even attempted this route given that EVA and China Airlines have been sporadically in and out of it, unable to make it work, even with (probably) lower cost structures. As for "insufficient awareness of Hawai'i among residents of Taiwan" I find this statement ridiculous and somewhat condescending.

Dunkerly quote source: Hawaii News Now

Newscience likes this.
  2. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Taiwan doesn't have biz connex with HI. Unfortunate the service can't be sustained...TPE is an awesome city and Taiwan itself is, as even the Lonely Planet admits, a hidden gem.

HiIslands likes this.
  3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure I'd call it ridiculous/condescending. To make the route work requires demand, and demand means that a large number of people either want to or need to go to Hawaii. I just read "awareness" as people who want to visit Hawaii actively seeking to travel the route - basically leisure demand. Basically giving voice to the positioning of Hawaiian as a leisure airline generally built to bring people from elsewhere to Hawaii. Apparently the Taiwanese people just aren't as anxious to pour into Hawaii as they thought.

I wonder how the "awareness of Taiwan" is among Hawaiian residents?

4. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is a large Taiwanese community in Hawaii, an active office that handles consular affairs, and a popular shopping center owned by the Taiwanese government that sponsors a lot of Chinese/Taiwanese events. People are aware of the Taiwanese presence in Hawaii but I don't think I would define "awareness" as people who want to visit Taiwan actively seeking to travel the route. That strikes me as an active one-step beyond awareness.

5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you were an airline structured around serving/promoting tourism to Taiwan, you might have a slightly different perspective.

I really do think this is mostly semantics, with Hawaiian seeing Hawaii primarily as a tourist destination, and in this case overestimating its attractiveness. I read aware as "on the mind of and I would like to go" rather than "knows they exist" in his statement.

6. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that it is semantics.

Although I was delighted that Hawaiian chose to fly to Taipei, I was surprised given other carriers inability to make the route successful. I believe the etiology of the route's failure is far more complex than "awareness" however the word is defined.