Hawaiian Air Adjusts Intl Service Destinations

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Airlines | HawaiianMiles' started by HiIslands, Feb 26, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hawaiian Airlines announced it will discontinue service to Fukuoka, Japan effective June 29, 2014. This is the second Asian destination Hawaiian has dropped in the past year, the other being Manila.

Hawaiian's international ramp-up began in November 2010, when Hawaiian started flying between Honolulu and Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Hawaiian followed up with new service to Seoul, Korea; in 2011, Brisbane, Australia in 2012; Auckland, New Zealand and Taipei in 2013; and the Japanese destinations of Oaska (2011), Fukuoka and Sapporo (2012). Service to Beijing is schedule to begin in April 16, 2014.

Sources:
    http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/
    http://www.hawaiianairlines.com/beijing

socalgecko and gregm like this.
  2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't imagine a lot of premium traffic on the HA routes, given the opulent splendor :oops: of the front cabin.

3. socalgecko

socalgecko Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm flying them to FUK in three weeks. Now I'll be sure to check how full the plane is.

4. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    As the Wandering Aramean often says "load does not equal yield" or something like that. Anyway, the plane could be packed to the gills, but if the fares collected aren't paying for the route, then, BUH BYE.

I think Dunkerly finally has realized he has overreached a bit. IMHO, he should stick with his core audience, i.e. mainland - Hawaii routes with further flying to the Far East / Oceania on a select basis. If he wants to go hog wild, he should try YEG-HNL or YVR-HNL. These routes seem to be working for West Jet..not so much Air Canada, but that is a different can of worms. Anyway, I expect that is what the 320 NEOs are for.... and buy a couple more 717s! Their interisland loads and fares are getting ridiculous, not to mention the crappy level of service.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
    Wandering Aramean likes this.