Hawaii - which is the best Hyatt

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by saildave, Aug 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. saildave

saildave New Member

Status Points:
    I'm planning a trip for next year any reccomendations ?

Family friendly - pools, etc.

Thanks,

saildave

Kalboz likes this.
  2. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are four Hyatt properties in Hawaii (or so I think):
    • Hyatt Regency Waikiki (O'ahu)
    • Hyatt Place Waikiki (O'ahu)
    • Grand Hyatt Kauai (Kaua'i)
    • Hyatt Regency Maui (Maui)
    I've only been to HR Waikiki and GH Kauai, and they are both beautiful places. GH Kauai in particular, is what I consider "heaven on earth".

I heard that they are opening an Andaz soon, which I'm excited about!

3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a pretty big fan of the HR Maui. But the Andaz Maui will also be opening next year. A big part of your decision is which island you want to visit. I think Maui is a great place for families because it's not too crowded (like Waikiki) and there are lots of activities (less so on Kauai). HR Maui is definitely kid-friendly and has animals on the premises, some kiddie pools w/ slide, and a bit of a walk or short drive to excellent snorkeling on the other end of the beach.

4. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    The GH Kauai was, for me, up there with the PH Sydney in terms of my overall impressions, though they are very different hotels. That should tell you something.

Kalboz, IDGflygirl and Jubileesmom like this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    My sister stayed at the HR Waikiki earlier this year while we did some hotel hopping. The property is indeed nice, and the pool area being raised definitely helps make up for the location. That was my only complaint though... you have to cross the street to go to the beach and all the cafes and shops on the ground level plus all the pedestrians do detract from the experience, but it's a fine property otherwise.

Jubileesmom likes this.
  6. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maui and Kauai, both great Hyatt properties. I'm going to be at Maui's in September again. My last venture to Kauai was a wonderful experience with a corner suite upgrade too. Sooooo nice. :D I'm anxious to visit the club again in Sept too to visit the wonderful staff up there. Simply maavelous.

7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    you asked about Hyatts, I've been to three of the HI properties, I still will say that unless you've got Hyatt to burn, www.vrbo.com is a great place to get a condo for the family at a reasonable cost.

IDGflygirl and viguera like this.
  8. huskergreg

huskergreg Active Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I have stayed at both the HR Maui and the GH Kauai yearly for the last 7 years. We've not stayed at the Waikiki Hyatts. Which one is best for you depends somewhat on what you want to do. Some comparisons I'd make:

Beach - Kaanapali Beach in Maui is substantially better than the beach at GH Kauai, although the beach right in front of the HR Maui isn't great. Since all the beach is public, a short walk brings you to a great stretch of beach. One of the best places to snorkel in Maui is within walking distance of the HR Maui at Black Rock. The surf at GH Kauai always seems to be very rough which makes it not so great for swimming.

Rooms - GH Kauai's rooms are larger and nicer. GH Kauai is much more spread out, while HR Maui is in three taller towers. I find the rooms in Kauai to be quieter, but you'll do more walking to get around the resort.

Spas - Both have very nice spas, but GH Kauai has a number of outdoor treatment areas that are wonderful in our opinion, so we prefer that spa.

Food - We prefer the breakfast options at Kauai and also prefer the GH Kauai restaurants for dinner, but the restaurants at HR Maui are also good. There are a number of other very nice places we love within walking distance of the HR Maui.

Pools, etc. - Both have great pool areas. HR Kauai also has a large salt water lagoon. GH Kauai also has an adult pool as well as pools for the kids. We've never had a problem finding chairs by the pool in Kauai. That is often an issue in Maui.

Staff - Both hotels have generally good staff, but we find the staff in Kauai to be friendlier and more focussed on your happiness. (We especially notice the difference at the pools and the restaurants.)

Things to do within walking distance - HR Maui is the clear winner here. The Kaanapali Beach Walk is a great place to go for a walk for exercise or just to watch people and the ocean. There are a number of other hotels and the Whaler's Village Shopping area all accessible from the Beach Walk, offering many more choices for meals and shopping without having to drive. Kauai also has other nice restaurants within a short drive.

Sunsets/sunrises - Kaanapali Beach has gorgeous sunsets with the sun typically setting over either Lanai or Molokai (depending on the time of year). You are almost guaranteed to have some beautiful sunsets there and there are many places in Kaanapali or in Lahaina that have outdoor seating where you can watch the sun set as you dine. The GH Kauai can have some great sunrises, but I've never seen a great sunset from the resort. There are fare less choices for a sunset view at dinner.

Whale watching - Maui is the best place to see whales that visit Hawaii in the winter time. You can often see them very easily from the beach and there are a number of whale watching cruses you can take. We've seen whales from the beach at the GH Kauai, but not nearly as many as we've seen in Maui.

Things to do on the islands - Maui is more developed, Kauai is more rural. Kauai has Waimea Canyon and Maui has Haleakala and the Road to Hana and Lahaina.

Overall we think the Grand Hyatt Kauai is our favorite hotel we've ever stayed at (which includes the Four Seasons on Lanai and on the Big Island). We've always found it to be a very relaxing place and it never seemed too crowded regardless of how full the resort was.

Greg

suenam, Kalboz and AAL like this.
  9. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    GH Kauai, as others have said, is fantastic. Never stayed at any of the others, but I can't imagine enjoying a place more....although most of that is due to the island and the locale, not just the hotel. The hotel is pretty great though.

Kalboz likes this.
  10. katya1986

katya1986 Active Member

Status Points:
    I think the New Hyatt andaz is going to be opening this spring in Maui..looked very nice in the pictures

Kalboz likes this.
  11. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only been to the GH Kaua'i but must admit I also liked it very much. Staff is incredibly customer-oriented, if something bothers you, they will go out of their way to put it right. Interestingly, the GH is also the largest employer on the island.

Kalboz likes this.
  12. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Of all the Hyatts in Hawaii, I like the Grand Hyatt Kauai the best. The grounds and restaurants there are excellent. The beaches and pools are good as well. The Andaz is located in a great area on Maui: Wailea which has the best beach on Maui. I do not know what the hotel will be like, as it is not opened yet.

Kalboz likes this.
  13. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I drove by the Andaz location a few weeks back. Can't wait for it to be open.

Kalboz and viguera like this.