Hawaii trip

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by knvinvest, Apr 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. knvinvest

knvinvest Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, I know my question does not DIRECTLY deal with points/miles, but I think indirectly, it does.

I'm vacationing in Hawaii in early June and there is 21 people in our party (age ranges from 5 years old to 68 years old). I have the hotel and airfare all taken care of. My question is do we need to rent a car for the 7 days we're staying there or take the bus system?

We're staying in Waikiki Honolulu area and would imagine doing everything from Pearl Harbor to beach to Diamond Head to waterpark and everything in between.

Any suggestions and tips (and encouragement with such a big group!!) would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
    knvinvest

perryplatypus likes this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should be able to arrange for a tour that will take you to Pearl and other popular attractions, but I'd start looking right now considering the size of your party.

Driving would require booking a few cars and will probably be pretty expensive, not only rental wise but also with valet/parking fees at the hotels.

With a group that large it would be difficult to offer suggestions unless everyone is into the same things, but you can probably find ideas from trip reports or recent threads here in the different sections. Obviously a luau would offer you some good entertainment, as well as (maybe) taking a trip over to the Polynesian Cultural Center, but you can expect that this will cost a rather substantial amount of money for a party that large, plus you'd have to figure out if everybody is interested in that.

When I was there the waiter at the Marriott told me to save my money and not to buy any t-shirts or trinkets from the souvenir shops and instead to hit the swap meet / marketplace at Aloha Stadium (Wed / Sat / Sun) to get the same stuff for cheaper -- and he was absolutely right. But that type of thing requires you to drive, so it might not work out for your whole group.

http://www.alohastadiumswapmeet.net/

As far as Waikiki goes, it's really "not that big" so you should be able to get around using the trolley, even though (again) with a large group that might require some coordination.

[​IMG]

The zoo is also relatively close to the end of the beach and near the aquarium, so those are possible attractions that you can go into and spend some time in. But it all depends on which side of Waikiki you're staying on.

sobore and knvinvest like this.
  3. knvinvest

knvinvest Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent feedback, thanks for the information.

4. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Arizona memorial is about 24 miles from Waikiki. It is best seen via the US Park Services tour and NOT on that would be arranged at your hotel or where ever. You will pay a fee for that, and if I were betting, would be a boat tour only, and you would not be able to step onto the memorial. I have read, recently, that you can sign up for that tour, on line, in advance to 'reserve' a time that you would go out to the memorial, via a Parks operated boat. Otherwise, get there early, before the Arizona memorial opens, and get your number ticket for your time to go out to the memorial. On a slow day, you will have about a 1.5 to 2+ hour wait. You will not be allowed to take a purse, bag, backpack, fanny pack nor a camera case out to the memorial. There is a place to check that, and leave it on shore, so I would suggest, travel light, or leave someone in the museum area, while the main group goes out to the memorial. You won't regret that visit, it is a very moving experience. Also leave time to go over to the USS Missouri and also the submarine, USS Bowfin, all right there at Pearl Harbor, and all free. But not if you take the hotel / harbor boat tour.
    Enjoy, and take lots of photos.

sobore likes this.