Hawaii town tells travel agency to stop sending tourists

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MSYgirl, Nov 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    [article]

KAILUA, Hawaii — People from across the world are drawn to the coastal town of Kailua. Its white sand beaches are among the nation's best. Some recommend the Honolulu suburb for its laid-back vibe. And President Barack Obama vacations there with his family each Christmas.

But now, the neighborhood board is asking a state tourism agency to stop encouraging visitors to stay overnight in their town.

It's the latest salvo in a long-running battle over how much tourism Kailua wants and should allow — a dispute that's popping up around the state as more of the increasing numbers of visitors who arrive want to experience island life like a local rather than a tourist.

The board is upset about a thriving industry of bed-and-breakfast and vacation rentals that are leased out short-term without permits. The board says these places deplete Kailua's already limited supply of housing, inflating costs and putting homes out of reach of those born and raised in town.

adrianors, anileze and Flyer1976 like this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can totally understand why the locals in Kailua would want to keep their town tourist-free as possible as I rented there for a while. I have several friends that live in Kailua and the access to the white sandy beaches is perfect as it's a few blocks walk to the beach.

anileze likes this.
  3. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Being from Maine, I can sympathize with this. There was a time about 10 years ago where some friends and I were planning a business selling "Fight Tourism Not Terrorism" tshirts.

I can only assume its much worse in places where people want to be on the ocean year round, our coasts seem to be pretty quiet Mid September to Mid May.

anileze likes this.
  4. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    The neighborhood board has a good point about the Bed and Breakfast. However their actions to restrict access to the beaches is just plain selfish. WE live in Hawaii for its beauty, let's share it. The beaches belong to everyone!

Flyer1976 and anileze like this.
  5. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah the NIMBY syndrome. There is always push and pull between development and status quo.

6. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    They should do one thing that I saw people doing in Brazil, in Fernando de Noronha, limit the number of tourists that can enter and charge a daily fee as an environmental fee.. Good way to keep tourists and not have a crowd of people..