Hawaii Tourists Getting Swept Up in Honolulu Homeless Crackdown

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by uggboy, Jun 2, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hawaii Tourists Getting Swept Up in Honolulu Homeless Crackdown

These new "rules" help actually no-one, beside letting local politicians look busy for nothing, causing more trouble for people who don't need it nor want it. :eek:

canucklehead and Newscience like this.
  2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is likely to drive away more tourists than encourage to visit Waikiki. Wonder what properties like Westin and RH will have to say if their guests decide to enter via the beach and get caught by the police.

uggboy likes this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well said, but overall I'm not so sure whom they want to please with such rules in place, IMHO it will hinder people and doesn't help no-one.

canucklehead likes this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:

That's not quite true, uggboy. You may want to read this article; Hawaii has epidemic homelessness, and had been struggling to deal with the problem for some time:

http://www.economist.com/news/unite...urists-comes-hefty-price-locals-paradise-lost

It's likely quite difficult to find a balance between how to humanely deal with a massive homelessness problem and protect the tourism industry, to say nothing of public health concerns. If there was an easy solution, someone would have implemented it a while ago.

anileze, HiIslands and uggboy like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, they know about the "problems" for a longer time now, and yes, the "problems" have grown until someone came up with new rules and "laws" to make it even more difficult to find solutions to "existing problems", while I understand that interests must be protected, I equally understand that people who need the most urgent protection/help aren't getting it, despite the "problems" are growing for a longer time now. Thanks for the link @Newscience.

So, how about "speeding up" affordable apartment developments? Another area politicians and developers aren't interested in or what? That's a specific problem when the politicians are "kept alive" in their positions by the developers. Wouldn't be the first time this happens, and Hawaii wouldn't be alone, we're here in Ireland know all about such "croniysm" were everyone knows a solution or two, but no-one has the support/guts/will to eradicte problems at the root, instead problems are ignored and eventually "problems grow and grow and the weakest in society hardest" and the responsible parties letting "the needy" down, while protecting their own interests and the minority of people who actually have/enjoy too much [wealth] and live, more often than not, behind gates.

=====

In comparison:

It might be not Hawaii, but British tourists feel/felt a bit awkward to "meet/see people" who fled recently from "life or death war zones"....of course tourists couldn't understand, the EU wouldn't understand...and the rest didn't care either...which left Greece which is near bankrupt in the lurge on Kos and other islands people enjoy for their holidays.

Here's the link:
    British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-making-holidays-awkward-in-kos-10281398.html

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    anileze and Newscience like this.
  6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow! Did you also know that people are coming to Hawaii to be homeless? See:

http://khon2.com/2015/01/18/ihs-mainland-people-looking-to-be-homeless-in-hawaii/

“[The Institute for Human Services] receives probably, about on average, 100, 150 phone calls or email inquiries every year from people who are actually looking to be homeless here in Hawaii."

7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've read/heard about it some time ago, but to "be homeless" is contrary to the American Dream, were everyone wants to own a house, feel happy, wealthy and be healthy, but I guess in regards to Hawaii and people want to be homeless, it might be the high temps which "tempts" them there in the first place, but seeing the rules there, which makes life actually even harder / more difficult for the most needy. Overall in all honesty, I would go the route of affordable housing for the people who work, but can't afford to rent a proper apartment, this would be a good beginning, while looking that people who are most needy getting re-integrated into society through real help / and homes instead of getting "shoved away" from the beach.

8. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sadly, I've traveled to countries in the world where the average person would do anything to have it as good as a homeless person in the US.

anileze and HiIslands like this.
  9. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    From this article:
    "The comments sparked outrage on Twitter, where people said they were "speechless" that comparatively wealthy holidaymakers could seemingly feel so little empathy for people risking their lives to flee warzones."

anileze and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  10. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to sound to Republican but. If Hawaii had the same weather as let's say Helsinki it would have the same level of homelessness.

11. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that you may have the cities reversed! :p

anileze and HiIslands like this.
  12. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm with NewScience on this issue all the way.

This is an extremely complex issue, in part exacerbated by the rights of free entry granted by the U.S. government for Pacific Islanders whose islands were victimized by nuclear weapons testing many years ago. They have every right to be here in Hawaii, but there have been few resources given to Hawaii for their care. Add to that extremely cheap one way airfares from the mainland U.S. and a problem "of epidemic proportions" (NewScience) is created.

The people of Hawaii have been struggling with this issue-- and I don't use that word lightly, for a number of years now. The most recent sweeps are yet one more attempt to get people into homeless shelters and out of the parks and beaches. Affordable housing IS an issue in Hawaii, but that's not the solution to this problem. Please don't be so quick to judge-- many "solutions" have been tried and none have worked thus far.

13. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    ...I did read this too, but "oddly, I wasn't surprised at all".....:(

14. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't that the problem then, with local politicians doing same same, isn't it time to try a different path instead of saying "having done this, let's forget about it, our problems will somehow go away"....I guess, no-one has tried yet to find "real solutions" and "real answers" to an existing problem which is "here to stay" especially when always "same same" is advocated and eventually "odd regulations are brought in, just like the "shoving people of beaches incl. tourists"...because no-one seems to be interested to "serve the community and bring in solutions" which could help the most needy in the longer term of instead from short term to short term, sadly that's mostly the case now, it's like people's attention spans these days, seeing it this ways, it's now unlikely that solutions will be found, why? There isn't the will to look forward, it's simply not enough to say, "we have tried it, look back" and let it go, sadly this one helps no-one and this incl. tourists, the homeless and local people who might would want the problem to be soluted, especially the people who work, but can't find an affordable apartment to rent, because of policies which seems to hinder the investment into affordable housing, that's sad indeed and doesn't really help anyone.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  15. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's easy for others to become judgmental about someplace else, especially if don't live there. To mention an extreme example, I can criticize the heck out of the Saudis for all the things that they ban (most of which are nonsensical to me) - and here's a top 10 list:
    http://listverse.com/2012/11/12/top-10-everyday-things-banned-in-saudi-arabia/
    but it hardly matters to the Saudis what I think about their society!

As you state, the situation in Hawaii regarding homelessness is extremely complex, and many resources have been thrown at the problem for a very long time, with an imperfect solution, so far. And certainly not for lack of many, many people trying to end the problem. There were homeless folks (i.e., "hippie communes") on most of the islands in the '60's and for a long time afterwards. In some instances, people today illegally homestead in remote areas and in Hawaiian parks.

Homelessness in a larger problem in Oahu than anywhere in the US, and perhaps also in much of the world. People will travel there to "live off the beach", whether from other Pacific islands, or from the (U.S.) mainland. And expect to be taken care of by the government. For some time, the state government would offer an airplane ticket back to the mainland to folks who found themselves indigent after moving to Hawaii - and it makes sense for those in need to be near their family and friends. I don't know if this still goes on. But I do know that this is a problem that has existed for decades, is growing worse all the time, and defies simple solutions. And criticism without a viable solution helps no one. BTW, I wonder what the Saudis would do about this problem?

HiIslands likes this.
  16. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about "let's not criminalize being poor and homeless", and we can improve our criticism and solutions from there?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2014/05/23/the-criminalization-of-poverty/

http://www.ips-dc.org/the-poor-get-prison-the-alarming-spread-of-the-criminalization-of-poverty/

http://talkpoverty.org/2014/10/07/punished-for-being-poor/

http://www.nlchp.org/documents/No_Safe_Place

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my non-expert opinion you have to be somewhat nuts (technical term) to be voluntarily homeless, even in Hawaii. The threat of a citation is unlikely to work.

HiIslands and Newscience like this.