Hawaii for Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by mdtravel, Aug 22, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    My guess is that this is a tough ticket: Hawaii over Thanksgiving.

I'm starting to look for flights for a possible trip for my wife, 7 year old, and myself. I could leave late on the Friday before Thanksgiving and return the Saturday after, or reasonable +/- 1 days.

It's been years since I've flown from CLT to anywhere in Hawaii, but it seems like AA has fewer options than when I used to fly UA out of CLT.

I want to spent time on both the Big Island and Maui; 2-3 nights in one, and 3-2 nights in the other.

I'm not opposed to stopping over in DFW, PHX, SFO or LAX on the way over, or possibly both directions.

I'd like to book award or paid travel in first, would love to get some fully flats.

In the couple of hours I've been looking, I'm having a hard time figuring out what the best routing would be from CLT. I'd love to book on AA and possibly book paid coach or even paid first (via AA vacations). At the same time, I've got a ton of AMEX and UR points. If I need go go that route to get a good travel experience for the 10+ hours plus connection time I will.

So, is there a question in there? I guess I'm trying to figure out AA routes and, the more I look, thinking I should use some of my flexible points and book CLT - west coast, and then west coast - Hawaii on Hawaiian or something like that.

Any comments or suggestions for CLT - Hawaii travel?

2. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want lie-flat, you may want to work backward to see what AC are flying from hubs to OGG, HNL, etc. For example (with UA) you primarily get 737 service from LAX & SFO, but widebody service from DEN, ORD and EWR. I suspect that AA may be the same or similar in west-coast routes and last I knew from PHX.

I've done OGG after Thanksgiving and it was a blast. There is a lull window between the week after Thanksgiving and the week before Christmas that has attractive hotel rates... and it is fun to see Santa on a surfboard!

mdtravel likes this.
  3. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you considered SXM and/or SBH from where you are? :)

Good luck getting anything to/from Hawaii on the cheap and/or points over Thanksgiving week. West coast - KOA is running close to 1000 for Y round-trip. It's likely not to be much cheaper from anywhere else as flights from anywhere outside the Pacific time zone are going to be much more limited.

You might want to try something with AS, F is pretty good over the ocean even though they don't have lie-flat. HA is rolling out their lie-flats but it's still hit and miss right now. AS means there are other cities in play like SJC, SAN, PDX and SEA that might have some sliver of award availability. The only other option is to watch it like a hawk really close in and be ready to jump on it with a couple of days' notice.

The other, sneakier option is through Canada - book to something like YYC or YVR, and then do AC or WS via HNL. YYZ-HNL is possible on AC Rouge, but that's not lie-flat and probably a mediocre time even in J. The problem is that it might also get pretty expensive to do that as well; instead of Americans trying to get somewhere warm you may be battling Canadians who are wanting a week somewhere warm.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best of luck. Hope to see you on the beach! We've been going to Hawaii during Thanksgiving for many years. But, I do book our first class seats with miles on AA, by at least 9 months out. If you find something, don't wait any longer to book.

Sent from my SM-G935V using InsideFlyer mobile app