Hawaii Food and Wine Festival - Aug 27 - Sep 7, 2014

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by Newscience, Jul 30, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hawaii Food and Wine Festival - August 29 - September 7, 2014

The 4th annual Hawaii Food and Wine Festival will be held at various locations on Oahu, Big Island (Hawaii) and Maui from August 29 - September 7, 2014, see:

http://hawaiifoodandwinefestival.com/

The Festival features over 80 world-renowned chefs, master sommeliers, artisan winemakers and mixologists. Participating celebrity chefs include Cat Cora, Nobu Matsuhisu, Nancy Silverton, Tetsuya Wakuda and Roy Yamaguchi.

Some of the scheduled events include:

- Aloha Aina, Aloha Kai. August 29. Waikoloa Beach Resort and Spa
    - Under a Maui Moon. August 31. Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
    - A Lucky Modern Buddha Belly. September 4. The Modern Honolulu
    - Chefs Who Cook to Compete. September 5. Halekulani*
    - Corks and Forks. September 6. Hawaii Convention Center
    - Battle of the Brunch Showdown. September 7. Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa*
    - It's a Food World. September 7. Ko Olina Resort

*Hosted by Alan Richman ("Man v. Food", "Best Sandwich in America", "Amazing Eats", etc.)

2. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you been to any of these events before? I want o go to Hawaii next year so maybe do it in conjuntion with these events.

Newscience likes this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been to the Hawaii Wine and Food Festival, but I wish that I were going! This looks great! I think that it would be worthwhile heading to HNL and attending some of the Festival events on Oahu - that would be pretty easy to do.

FWIW, I happened to learn about this Festival by noticing a dog-eared card describing it in our bill's folder from dining at Roy's restaurant on Waikiki recently. I thought that it wouldn't hurt to let Milepointers know about this event.

One thing that I've noticed is that, in general, events on Hawaii aren't especially well advertised outside of the 50th state or on many websites much in advance of their start date. If I were to schedule a trip to attend the Festival in 2015, I'd check on the Festival website early, and also try to talk with a point of contact who could confirm the 2015 dates in advance. Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  4. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Newscience likes this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and there are other Hawaii websites that can be checked for festivals, including Hawaii state, city (Honolulu) and county websites.

I've found that many of these websites are updated infrequently, or miss important information. For example, while we were recently on Kauai, a Portuguese festival was held at the Kauai museum, that we only learned about by watching local television, as it wasn't otherwise advertised elsewhere. Fortunately, the large annual Koloa Plantation Days Festival on Kauai is well advertised: http://www.koloaplantationdays.com/

Just don't expect websites to contain accurate information about events if you're booking flights to Hawaii 6 months out or so.

6. afakhori

afakhori Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sooo...I had no idea this was going on, so thanks for posting! I'll probably be able to make most of the dates, so it should be a lot of fun!

Newscience likes this.
  7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Darn... I'll be in Hawaii but won't be able to match these events to my schedule at all. :(

Newscience likes this.
  8. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Enjoy! And please report back to let us know about the Festival! I am jealous! ;)

FWIW, Adam Richman really loves Hawaii (and who doesn't)! :) When we had lunch at Helena's Hawaiian Food, his picture was all over the place!

Flyer1976 and afakhori like this.
  9. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Schedule change!!! ;)

Change.jpg

Flyer1976 likes this.
  10. afakhori

afakhori Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will do! Just gotta figure out when me and the wife can ditch the kid.:D

Newscience likes this.
  11. janetadams

janetadams New Member

Status Points:
    I am basically a food lover, but will never eat junk foods. I would like to participate in this food festival... hope I will get the opportunity...

Flyer1976 and Newscience like this.
  12. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The man WILL eat anything...

Newscience likes this.
  13. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely! I can't imagine someone becoming a "star" by eating anything at all ("world's hottest pepper dish", "60 lb. sandwich", etc.), but Adam Richman certainly has done that! ;)

Richman.jpg

Flyer1976 likes this.
  14. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    I happened to be staying at the Marriott Waikoloa on the day that they were hosting the Hawaii Food and Wine Festival. Although I did not attend that event, I did learn that the event rate they were offering was at a significant discount. So if you are planning to attend next year, be sure to inquire when booking...

danielwood, Newscience and Flyer1976 like this.
  15. DanielCosta

DanielCosta Member

Status Points:
    I was planning on going but I didn't actually get the chance to. Hopefully I'll have more time to this year and I'll be able to just enjoy myself.

konoyaro and Newscience like this.