Hawaii Award

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by neil, Jul 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. neil
    Original Member

neil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey, folks.

AA/oneworld rookie here. Like many others, I've been lucky enough to get some AA miles through CC sign-ups. I'm now looking to turn those into award tickets to Hawaii (also probably like many others :confused:.) Unfortunately, my dates are inflexible (Oct 22 - 29 flying out of RDU.) Using some of the strategies listed on this forum and looking through the FAQ, I haven't been able to find anything better than AA's standard 45K each way for coach. Couldn't find anything on Hawaiian or Alaska, either.

I think I've done my due diligence, but if anyone has suggestions or sees something better than that, would definitely appreciate the help.

Thanks. :)

2. SuzanneSLO
    Original Member

SuzanneSLO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not having any flexibility on dates makes It hard. If you could leave in the evening on Friday, Oct 21, you could connect with the morning flight out of LAX to HNL on Oct 22. You may be able to book this as a single flight by calling ( last flight in,last flight out) but you may need to book 2 awards for a total of 30K.

Return is tougher. You would need to return on Wednesday or Sunday. Both are red eyes. If you book and better dates open up, you could change at no cost. These are all on AA. Best of luck. - Suzanne

neil and viguera like this.
  3. tw116
    Original Member

tw116 Gold Member

Status Points:
    my trips to hawaii that i use awards, i book 330 days out, or as close to it as i can. this won't help this year but keep in mind for future travel there.

4. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hawaii is AA's most popular award destination. Almost everybody who travels there on awards wants to fly on Saturdays. Trying to book 3 months out is unrealistic - you might get lucky, but should expect what you got. There might be availability within two weeks of flight, but likely not before.