In Progress Having to Sign-In Over and Over

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by Mountain Trader, Oct 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Mountain Trader
    Original Member

Mountain Trader Silver Member

Status Points:
    One reason I don't read Milepoint as often as I might is that I have to sign-in again after a week or two, even though I have checked the box to keep me signed in.

Is this part of the design or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the help?

2. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    Hi Mountain Trader,

I'll give you something to try while I look for anything on my end that could be causing the log-out: Try clearing all your cookies from Milepoint.com. If you're storing in a place that is getting full (which is possible if you don't clear them as I assume you use the "Keep me signed in" functions on other websites) it could mess up session caching.

This could be unlikely due to it only signing out once every week or two, but it's worth a shot. You can also make sure that your browser isn't set to clear cookies every so often.

As I said though, I'm going to investigate it some and respond again for you in the near future. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Mark

3. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use Firefox, and have to sign in about 5 times a day. I have no idea what causes it.

4. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    Is it more like this problem? http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/auto-log-off.41266/

Have you tried any other browsers? We had hoped that the having to sign in multiple times a day problem was gone, so I'll have to get some more info from you.

5. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Generally, if I close the open tab of MP and then try and open a new tab of MP a few hours later, i'll be signed out again. It doesn't matter if I check the "Stay signed in" box or not.

6. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I try to post I get a message that I must be logged on to post. I check the top of the page and sure enough it says I am logged on. But to humor the software, I log out and then log in again. I then go to the posting area and try to post. Same error message.

This frequently happens. I access the internet via satellite and there is a small delay in transmissions. There is some parameter in your system that is used to determine if the user is still there. That parameter is set too low as it quite regularly thinks I am no longer there when in fact I actually am. Can you adjust that please?

7. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Problem continues. It wold be nice if you at least acknowledged an error report. :(

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  8. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have nothing to do with running this forum but sounds like a cookie issue to me. Do you have any settings to block cookies or software like Ghostery installed?

9. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a cookie issue at all. Totally related to the latency when using satellite to access the web. Setup accessing via net in SFO is fine. Same setup/computer/etc accessing in northern California via satellite experiences the logout problem.
    Still would be nice if this error was at least acknowledged. What is the sense of "talk to me" if there isn't any answer?!?!? :(

10. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree latency can do weird things, but that would seem very odd. I often use a satellite connection in my rural area (thankfully, at home there is DSL service) yet haven't experienced that issue but I don't think I've ever used milepoint via satellite. I will try it next week and let you know the results.

Until then, sure, perhaps you're correct, after all, you have more experience with this than I do. But please allow me to describe what happens to me in case it helps:

If I check the "Stay logged in" box I can even close down my browser completely and then come back in after a restart without logging in again. That's because milepoint.com sets an "xf_user" cookie which expires one week after login. As long as that cookie is there I don't have to log in again. If I delete the cookie, then I'm asked to log in once again when I restart my browser.

So, that being said, is there any way you can check if the cookie is being set and/or if the satellite provider does something strange with cookies beyond just having latency? It's certainly related to cookies in at least one respect anyhow.

11. Mikel
    Original Member

Mikel Gold Member

Status Points:
    bonnerbl, as the point of differentiation appears to be connecting via satellite vs. cable that does make it seem likely that the satellite connection is somehow disrupting the cookies. Having said that, more investigation is needed. We will continue to track related cases here, and please do let us know if you uncover any additional information that might be helpful.

Thanks as always for the feedback.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    One way to test that theory would perhaps be to use a VPN connection over satellite. The internet provider then can't mess with anything in the actual data stream.

bigx0 likes this.
  13. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had this issue on some computers. I usually find checking "remember me" does the trick.