Having Status vs Non-Elite in J Class Award

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Tiki, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am just wondering if there is any difference in how we can expect to be treated. Our trip in April is SQ/OZ/US in J courtesy of Grand Slam and TIB US miles. Neither of us have status. We get lounge access with a J boarding pass and collecting of elite miles is not an issue as they are award tickets. So do we get equal treatment with our J boarding passes or are there some things elites would get that we don't get?

2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is all the same except possibly for prioritising meal orders and in the unlikely event of irrops.

3. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    You mean they feed elites in J first, then the nobodies? They don't go back to front or vv? And what happens in case of irrops?

4. trippin_the_rift
    Original Member

trippin_the_rift Silver Member

Status Points:
    Generally, once you're onboard - apart from a special welcome all pax in the same class cabin are treated equally.

5. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depends on the airline. I believe UA attempts to serve premium pax through a combination of fare and status - full fare being higher than top level elites. Or maybe I have that slightly mixed up. The point is the full fare or top level passenger gets first choice of meals before one choice runs out. Typically only a problem in full or nearly full F or J/C cabins.

For irrops, it's the same as if you're in Y. The elites will generally get better customer service for rebooking, seat protection, possible compensation even when it's not required (such as during weather-caused irrops).

But since you're on SQ and OZ, I'd not worry in the least. With US, you're treated the same as everyone else in the cabin 99% of the time.

Tiki and kiwi like this.
  6. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only time meal order prioritisation is an issue with SQ is on the flights to & from Japan when there are not enough Hanagoyomi (business class) or kyo kaiseki (first class).

Some airlines do it more than others. NZ is pretty good at getting meal orders from their gold elite passengers first (in business class & premium economy class).

7. alex0683de
    Original Member

alex0683de Silver Member

Status Points:
    Others have touched on meal orders, so I'll leave that where it is. Only other thing I can think of would be lounge access with some carriers (specifically LH Group airlines) where having status on top of the J ticket would get you into a (marginally) better lounge. On the carriers you plan to fly, this will not be an issue.

8. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    With SQ at SIN It is the opposite - status without flying business gets a worse lounge.

9. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another difference is the elite pax can bring a guest into the lounge. A non-elite business pax typically does not have lounge guest privileges.

10. alex0683de
    Original Member

alex0683de Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which is the way it should be, to be honest.

11. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd argue that. Consider the elite who buys only tickets that are full-fare Y. Compare this to the elite who buys the same number of tickets but only Z fare discounted business. The Y flier may never get upgrades but potentially provides more revenue to the company.

Granted the Y flier is given a privilege the Z flier is not - the ability to change or fully refund the ticket and that's what is being paid for. In the end though the higher revenue should have some value, hence the LH HON member perks.

12. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Back to the question on the floor, you will probably experience no difference in service.

RedM3Pilot likes this.
  13. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    The other thing elites are supposed to receive are op-ups in instances where the flight is oversold. However, don't hold your breath waiting for SQ to provide you with an op-up. Apparently, they would rather you fly the next day than give you a better seat, but that's all heresay. I don't fly them - but I used to be a PPS for 4+ years. I know EK are very generous to their elites when cabins are oversold.

14. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    The no op-up policy only applies to A380 suites. I've had more than my share of op-ups on SQ (of course all with high SQ status and none without that status).

15. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL, it never occurred to me to even think of an op-up, just to be in J is amazing enough for a leisure traveller! The only thing I would worry with irrops is if a volcano goes off messing up SIN flights or North Korea does something to mess up OZ flights. I did have a few nervous moments when NK took some pot shots at SK but that seems to have fizzled out.

Last year, we were on a Y class ticket (Gold status) using AA miles on CX BNE-HKG-MNL. The BNE-HKG was late causing us to miss the connection to MNL in 2 hours. They had rebooked us on the following day to MNL and would have put us up in a nice HKG hotel but in this case, we had early morning tickets to Palawan which were non-ref/non-change, not to mention the eco-tour guide was picking us up at the airport. The CX guy noticed a direct BNE-MNL flight, walked over to their counter and discovered they had room so he signed over the flights to PR and we actually arrived in MNL much earlier than if we had flown on CX. Now THAT was the most amazing customer service I ever had on irrops from an airline! In a similar situation with a late QR flight in 2009 (SIN-DOH-CPT)they rebooked us on EK, several hours later, made us miss connections and almost made us lose our prebooked tickets to Robben Island. We had to rush to a taxi, go straight to the Robben Island dock baggage and all, run up to the boat at the last minute, 5 minutes and it would have been gone.

There was a direct SQ flight SIN to JNB but they wouldn't even consider it, they made us go with about 20 others on EK SIN-DXB-JNB, then SA JNB-CPT..

16. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    No perceptible difference at all based on the past couple years or so, we'd be in CX J on AA miles (and the only status I had was on WN[​IMG]).

I think the most significant difference was already noted above: lounge guesting privilege.

17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're flying SQ in either biz or FC, there's an easy way to be sure that you get the meal you want: Book the Cook. First examine the menus on the singaporeair.com website for the originating airport of your flight. Then call SQ (IIRC, if the ticket was purchased from the SQ website, you can also do this on the website) and ask to order your Book the Cook meals. (Note: some flights enable you to make two choices, one for lunch/dinner and the other for the smaller meal before landing.)

You should reserve specific seats and get the PNR for your SQ flights during the same phone call.

Once you have the SQ PNR and know exactly how to enter your name (for SQ, IIRC no caps as lastname, firstnamemiddlfename with no spaces between your two given names), you can verify stuff yourself on the SQ website.

kiwi likes this.
  18. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    i have yet to notice even that SE/E's on my flight get to order first. perhaps no SE/E's on my flights...

19. ezraulo

ezraulo Active Member

Status Points:
    what does IIRC mean? I'm going on a trip in june in SQ and would love to try Book the Cook

20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    IIRC = If I recall correctly....

21. ezraulo

ezraulo Active Member

Status Points:
    great, thanks! is there a glossary thread that i can learn these all from? or maybe help compile

22. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the SQ portions, you will be sent to a different lounge at JFK (Oasis rather than Swiss, but Oasis is very nice) and in FRA (business class rather than Senator, although the business class lounge can be less crowded and doesn't seem much different). At LAX, NRT, and SIN, the lounge is the same. In fact, at SIN, the business class side of the SilverKris lounge is much better than the lounge SQ provides for *Gold coach passengers.

23. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You mean other than trying Mr. Google? :D

If it's heavily used and common abbreviations within the MP community, the Glossary located at the very top Help Menu should help. But as in the example of "IIRC", it is more a general common phrase on the net, Google may deliver the answers to you much promptly and more efficiently.

There's also Newbies Corner on MP, where you should get more step-by-step assistance.

24. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There have been stories of SQ and UA cancelling nonstatus business class seat assignments of nonelites and giving the best seats to their own top tier FFs who ask/demand or of FAs pressuring a seat swap to benefit elites. There are also rumors of certain seats, such as the first row on the upper deck of SQ 747s, being set aside for their own FFs so that they cannot be reserved or assigned to nonelites.

25. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    on BA - you need to be elite to make seat assignments. So the upper deck of the 747 typically goes to elites.