Having academic regalia made

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by IndyDavid, May 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. IndyDavid
    Original Member

IndyDavid Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi everybody. I wonder if this experienced group knows a reliable place to have academic regalia made, preferably at lower cost than here in the U.S. Looking for the full set: doctoral robe with velvet chevrons, Ph.D. hood, and golden-tasseled tam. Samples below:
    [​IMG]
    Thanks in advance,
    David

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually one is offered the opportunity to purchase for graduation. This ensures that the colors and other details are exactly right. However, most PhD students either do not march in graduation (since the frequently finish their dissertations after starting a job and don't identify with a particular class/cohort as undergraduates do) or rent their cap and gown. Unless one is going to Oxbridge or a few other foreign universities, there's no need.

3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, but some people like to march. And if you've spent 5-7 years in grad school, even if I don't march I'd enjoy having the robes just to prove it. I'm as interested as the OP in knowing if anyone has some deals available.

IndyDavid likes this.
  4. Erasmus
    Original Member

Erasmus Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I'm sure you know, there are a variety of details to get right: the hood color varies based upon your degree, the gown varies upon your alma mater, etc, etc. In general, it is by far the easiest to order through your alma mater.

Presumably you're an academic now, too---unless you're planning to wear it just to cocktail parties---in which case your current institution can also probably order it for you, since there are only a few companies that have a monopoly on this industry.

Why worry about cost, though? Just reimburse it with discretionary funds! You are, of course, only wearing this during official functions your employer requires you to attend, correct?

5. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, just checked the cost of a couple schools that I have been affiliated with and the cost can be quite varied. One was $600 (Canada) all complete, whereas the other one was $830 (US). Oxford's ensemble is in between those two (£450 - just thought I would check considering MSPeconomist mentioned Oxbridge.)

6. IndyDavid
    Original Member

IndyDavid Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it's quite expensive to order through one's alma mater; hence my inquiry here. Many of us have several occasions throughout the year when wearing academic dress is expected. Luckily, I know how to get the details right.

It seems crazy to me that there are 100 places to have an ill-fitting men's suit made in Bangkok, Hong Kong, etc., but no place to get a cap & gown?

7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If you become a professor you will march at graduations for the school where you are teaching. I believe for those processions you were the colors of your alma mater, not the colors of the current institution; those profs use their gown every year.

8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Professors who don't have their own regalia from their alma mater often borrow them from the current institution. I've seen racks of them in ante rooms when attending my own and others' commencements.

Gargoyle likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least in major universities, the current institution orders and pays the rental fees for faculty who don't have their own cap and gown.

10. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    At first glance I thought this thread was about making regaglie. Darn.

There's a reason I didn't stay in academia.

Traveller, Gargoyle and MSPeconomist like this.
  11. sparxe
    Original Member

sparxe Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's not bad when it costs ~$100 just to rent it for the ceremony!

12. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, it is a market with oligopoly in the US. You would almost always end up paying ~900 for a doctoral regalia. The common standard colors are either your alma mater or black. My VP who recently graduated was shocked by the prices. He did a search and did find some places in China that would do that and also do delivery... eventually, I just convinced him to get one from his school as a contribution. You can write it off for taxes, at least.