Have you noticed that Gogo In-flight Internet Is Slower?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by JSpira, Jun 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since the start of the year, I've noticed a precipitous decline in Gogo in-flight Internet speeds.

I'd be interested in hearing your experiences but mine are that speeds have gone from 1.5 Mbps as recently as 7 or 8 months ago to speeds that would make a 1990 dial-up modem look fast.

Because each aircraft is a shared resource (5 Mbps allocated to the aircraft in ideal conditions), Gogo's increased popularity is causing the slowdown for the most part.

Aircell confirmed this in an article I wrote about the slowdown.

So what are your experiences with Gogo?

[​IMG]

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    No experience with GoGo other than one short VX flight a few years back... but where the heck did you get 540 kbps dial-up modems from back in 1990? ;-)

I also don't know if GoGo is becoming more popular or not, but if it is, then clearly -- given the fixed capacity of the up/downlink the logical consequence is that the users each get less bandwidth. If it's 5 mbps per aircraft and 10 users use it with applications that actually consume significant bandwidth (e.g., the example in your article -- watching a movie), then clearly not everyone can count on getting 1.5 mbps. I always wondered when we'd get to that point. Apparently before I ever got to really play with GoGo :-( Maybe the smart thing to do is downloading the movie to your laptop/iPad and preserve the bandwidth for things that can't be done offline?

KENNECTED and Gargoyle like this.
  3. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unless MP member "GogoInFlight" is a sock puppet, you might want to bring your concerns to him.

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting you say this...I flew JFK-LAX (767) this last Friday on AA and thought it was quite a bit slower than previous flights. I usually fly BUR-DFW-BWI on MD80s every month and the service there is much faster.

5. Gogo

Gogo Z Representative

Status Points:
    Not a sock puppet or a bot :)

I'll actually post the same reply as I did on FT (since the OP posted this thread there too):

There are a lot of factors that determine speeds you'll see -- one is of course the number of people on your plane, the other is what kind of applications you (or your fellow passengers) are running. In the linked review from the OP, it mentions Slingbox -- which could be a key to some of the results being seen. We don't support streaming video services that pull more bandwidth than the occasional YouTube clip.

Needless to say, we monitor usage per plane very closely, and take action when necessary. Also, don't forget that all those speed tests need to get their data somewhere -- large numbers of speed tests mean lots of wasted bandwidth which could be used for more important things.

The photo in the OP shows pretty decent speeds, and .5mbit should be sufficient for almost any web/email based activity. Also, keep in mind that any apps you are running in the background (like Windows Update, IM clients, streaming audio services) take away from your available bandwidth, so disable them when possible.

If you find yourself on a flight with less than average speeds, drop into our live chat and talk to us; http://www.bit.ly/gogochat Our staff are there 24/7 and have tools to help you out.

Edit: also noticed that the speedtest app defaulted to a server in Mexico, which could definitely make the results unreliable.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Offered as sincere feedback:

As someone who is likely going to be on flights that have this service, I would kindly ask that Gogo look into getting the speeds to enable the video streaming speeds.

Personally, I would like to get onto a plane and watch shows that I otherwise wouldn't have the time for at home or in hotel rooms, and being able to stream those on planes would be a huge plus.

7. Gogo

Gogo Z Representative

Status Points:
    Feedback always appreciated -- while our technology does have a roadmap to improve speeds in the future, offering streaming video speeds to an entire planeload of people is incredibly challenging. This is why we are working on introducing our own inflight video service that delivers content that is locally stored on the plane.The service is being tested on two planes at the moment, and will expand by the end of the year.

8. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    The location does't make the results unreliable. You need to understand how Speedtest works (it pings multiple servers and then uses the one with the fastest ping for the test). In addition, to point out the potential of unreliable data when 1.) you write the speed was "pretty decent" and 2.) multiple tests were conducted at various times during multiple flights and the image with the speed closest to average was used as artwork sounds as if you are trying to cast doubt on the tests.

9. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've had this experience before. When I sign on instantly, so as soon as possible if I have a trade in place or have to continue a conversation (chat) with an employee or colleague, I get pretty fast speeds. 1+MB, but as the time goes by, the speed does go down. I always figured it was just more people coming on the hotspot and utilizing the ONE pipe to the NIC. I haven't tried in a couple months, but will try next week when we fly PS to JFK

10. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Horrid speeds tonight and "failure to respond" errors on a couple of servers. I was seeing speeds of 146 down, and 256 up. That's on an AA transcon, new plane. Took 30 seconds to bring up the MP main forums page. I'm thinking it's not worth my $12.95 tonight.... and I'm certainly glad I didn't spend the extra money to buy the multi-flight pass ('ll be on a couple of MD-80's next week, and a couple more transcons this month).

11. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    It got so bad last night with "failure to load" and similar errors when I tried to bring up web sites, that I gave up and considered it unusable. I got use for no more than 1/2 the flight out of it. Waste of money, and it really will have me thinking twice before I buy again.