Have you ever had to evacuate a hotel you were in because of an alarm?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by kansaskeith, Oct 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

Have you ever had to evacuate a hotel you were in because of a fire/emergency alarm?

1. No

14.6%
  2. No - alarm went off but was cancelled before evacuation

12.2%
  3. No true fire or emergency, but only found that out after evacuation for alarm

39.0%
  4. Yes - and at least one time there was in fact a fire/emergency (comments welcome!)

34.1%
  1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    8MiHi and ConsultingChris like this.
  2. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had a couple false alarms cancelled before we could get out of the room, but one actual fire and evacuation. Was staying on the 37th floor of the Hyatt Regency Waikiki for a "milestone" birthday. About 3 a.m. on July 4, 2010, the alarms went nuts, with flashing lights, piercing sirens, and recorded messages in both Japanese and English telling guests we needed to evacuate immediately, and not use the elevators/lifts (though some people did anyway). So, climbed down 36 flights of stairs with everyone quite orderly (there was a faint odor of smoke on the lower parts of the stairwell, so at that point we were pretty sure this was no drill). We stood outside among all sorts of fire vehicles and emergency personnel for about 40 minutes while a grease fire in a second or third-floor restaurant was handled. One tower (the other one, of course) was cleared to re-enter first. Then our building, the Diamond Head Tower, was approved for re-entry, but with 1,200 guests in the hotel the lines for the elevators (which can be frustrating at that property even without a fire) were going to be awful. So. . . accepted the birthday-fitness challenge and climbed back up to floor 37. Frankly it amazed me it wasn't a lot tougher than it was. However, I did wolf down more salmon and bagels than usual at the Regency Club breakfast a few hours later!

More than once when telling this story, people have asked me if evacuating hotel guests at 3 a.m. in summer in the Tropics aren't quite "briefly" attired. The answer, frankly, is -- compared to how folks were on the beaches the next afternoon -- the evacuees were probably even overdressed!

8MiHi and ConsultingChris like this.
  3. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    On a few occasions, I have had the alarm go off but was cancelled moments later.

4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had many alarms go off, but so far I have never had to leave. One time there was a malfunction and the alarm kept sounding every few minutes for well over an hour at 2am. It was not pleasant at that time in the morning.

5. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Several years ago, I was at Harrah's in Las Vegas and about 2 am the alarms went off. Security was evacuating everyone because the water main on the roof had broken and was flooding the hotel from the roof down. Was out of room for several hours.

6. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was any of your stuff damaged by water when you returned to the room?

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ouch! I've done the trek down (and later back up) a dozen flights of stairs from my office at least ten times for fire drills. But 36 in the middle of the night would seriously annoy me.

viguera and 8MiHi like this.
  8. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I ran into a security guard in hallway and he told me what was going on so I went back and put everything up on table. It was mainly the area by elevators that had a lot of water.

SC Flier and kansaskeith like this.
  9. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that I might climb to around 12 and then wait at the elevator for folks who are getting off to free up some space to continue to the top.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  10. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, half-way considered something like that (remember, by that point it was like 4 a.m. and thoughts were kind of bleary, so no plans were all that etched in stone). But went up like 12, took a 30-60 second break, said "that wasn't that bad, another 12 should be in the cards." Did the same thing, took another break, still felt okay, and before long, it was over :)

SC Flier likes this.
  11. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    It shouldn't be any harder than climbing Diamond Head (peak elevation 762 feet).

8MiHi and kansaskeith like this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just a heck of a lot more boring. I did Diamond Head a couple weekends ago (2nd time, after nearly two decades), and it was quite scenic.

8MiHi, SC Flier and kansaskeith like this.
  13. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Similar to kansaskeith's fire alarm experience, it's also something done commonly in the early morning hours. Coming from the eastern U.S., it's easier to wake up early to hike up for sunrise.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I did at high noon. An hour after touchdown at HNL. Was nice and toasty. :)

8MiHi and SC Flier like this.
  15. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've posted this before, but when I was in Ocean City, MD with my family as a teen, we had to evacuate our hotel because of a hurricane. We were sent to a shelter that had been set up in a local school. I tried, mostly unsuccessfully, to sleep on the hard gymnasium/lunchroom floor. At one point, they announced that the hurricane had changed directions and headed back out to sea and we could all go back to our hotels. We got back to our hotel, where I promptly crashed into bed. Shortly after that, some damned jackass piece of crap kid pulled the fire alarm. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:. Everyone in the hotel had to evacuate while the fire department came and did their thing. They determined it was a false alarm, and we were let back in. It's been 15 or 16 years, but I'd still like to kill that damn kid. And it would be VERY slow and VERY painful.

16. ConsultingChris

ConsultingChris Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was staying at a Fairfield near Memphis, TN when the fire alarm went off. I heard water, so I looked out the window and saw that the sprinkler nozzle over the front awning was dumping water on the ground. It seems that something caused it to go off which set off the fire alarm for the whole hotel. Everyone went to the lobby and the fire department came in to check things out before allowing us back into our rooms.

They had no idea what caused it.

I was nice and cranky the next morning.

17. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I Love the Diamond Head hike. It is a good workout without being too difficult for non-hikers and the view is wonderful. The two most memorable alarms were both at Doubletree Hotels with both at 3AM- once in Santa Monica and once in Vail. There was smoke condition in Vail that was contained and Santa Monica had many people lining the streets in sheets. Neither was a particularly difficult walk down.

SC Flier likes this.
  18. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at an Embassy Suites in Cincinnati when I was in undergrad for my fraternity's formal. Not sure if someone pulled a fire alarm or what but there definitely wasn't a fire.
    It was actually kind of funny for us since one of my buddies brought out a 24 pack of natural light :D and there was a big group of us drinking beers out in the parking lot at 3AM having a good time until the firemen gave the okay to head back in. Also got to figure out who was "hanging out" with who's date etc.

8MiHi likes this.
  19. jpmorgan

jpmorgan Member

Status Points:
    I've never experienced it, but several of my co-workers have during a stay at the Hilton in Wilmington, NC. I've learned to always keep some decent clothes prepped and ready just in case because of the stories. Seeing your boss at 3am in boxers and t-shirt makes the next staff meeting awkward.

20. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done 18 flights down a couple of times as part of the evacuation drills at work, mostly because I wanted to do it at least once so that -- if it does come to it -- at least I'd know what to expect.

As far as hotels go, I've been in a couple where the alarms went off, but only once where an evacuation was actually called. We were at the Crowne Plaza in FLL last year resting after a drive from the keys. Checked in, went up and decided to hit the restaurant, and while we were eating the whole place went nuts.

At least we weren't upstairs to walk down 10 flights, I suppose. It was all called off maybe 5-10 minutes later so we probably would have just hit the lobby to find out it was all for naught, so it would have been annoying.

21. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wasn't a major fire, but one time there was a small room fire (trash can).

Been in more than one evac from a faulty alarm system, too.

22. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I sort of had the opposite situation. I wear hearing aids and when they are out am blissfully unaware of anything. The alarms went off early in the morning and the entire place evacuated. About 30 mins later I awoke and went to look out my window and wondered why are all those people outside looking at the building? and the fire truck?? Yikes!! Everything turned out ok but since then I make a point to ask the registration clerk to notate that I am not a hearing person. Most hotels will then come and knock on your door until you answer in case of an emergency.

23. bearcat74

bearcat74 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was staying at a Hampton Inn in Michigan near the Palace at Auburn Hills for a concert about 6 years ago. Alarm went off about 3 am.....thought was probably just a false and would go off, but 10 min later it is still going off and my friend and I can hear people moving in the hallway so decide it is probably a good idea to get up and see what is going on. The hotel had sort of a "T" shape to the layout and after exiting our room we see a bunch of people down toward the other end, but no smoke or fire anywhere. Turns out somehow a car and run INTO the building right at the door at that end - and had to have some good speed and the car was 3/4 into the building. The baffling part was I'm not sure how the car go there as the driveway was at the other end and there was no parking at the end it was crashed into.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  24. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was staying at a HI in Cleveland Oh, for a business conference, back 1998. After a late night of drinking and partying with fellow employees, I crashed in bed. The next morning at breakfast everyone was like, Hey where did you go last night? did you leave with that girl? etc. I was like why? I was in bed sleeping. And they go on to tell me the hotel was evacuated for a fire alarm and I slept thru the whole thing. Good thing there wasn't a real fire since they were so concerned to come look for me....

LETTERBOY likes this.
  25. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was working at a hotel in YYZ and we had a kitchen fire...had to evacuate the hotel. Not pretty.