Have you ever gotten an award ticket for free?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by paulmerc, Mar 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Well, not sure if I am going to really get any responses here, but I'll try.

I was talking with a new colleague the other day, he was telling me about a trip they did early last year on BA using their miles. Booked CW tickets to LHR from JFK gateway. Anyway, he was saying they had to pay fuel surcharges and like and complaining, I was understanding of this.

but here as the kicker. he said they paid the money for the taxes and fuel surcharges, got the tickets, did the travel, but as far as he knows the miles were never deducted - or at least he shows the same amount of mileage in the account.

Has this ever been known to happen? What should he do? Just roll with it?

2. Ant
    Original Member

Ant Silver Member

Status Points:
    This can happen, especially if your friend had a chat with someone on the phone and they tinkered with the booking or made some mistake. I've had strange things happen such as a double refund of cash for a cancelled ticket and had miles taken out of a household account, but refunded back into mine!

If I noticed this before a flight then alarm bells would ring with me if payment hadn't been taken — I'd first check to see if e-tickets had been issued. Obviously your friend was quite lucky!

paulmerc likes this.
  3. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Wow, that is interesting

4. yes, he said he had checked his tickets, had confirmation numbers, did a couple calls to confirm seats, etc. Thought they would pull just prior to flight time, or certainly thereafter, but that was over ten months ago.

5. Chic Silber
    Original Member

Chic Silber Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many years back OnePass & Marriott had random joint promotions

that offered "free" travel & accomodation that were awarded without

the deduction of any points from your accounts (& no cash at all)

I was very fortunate to receive 2 R/T EWR CDG "up front" along with

a fully complimentary week at the Prince De Galle in Paris

Them wuz the dayz

6. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I remember some days when UA would sometimes give MILEAGE for AWARD tickets, so basically one got paid to fly on an award ticket.

7. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes it seems to happen with offline bookings where human intervention has cocked it up along the way. Never happened to me as all my bookings are done online.
    Not sure how much time would have to pass before one can definitely be sure that the miles wouldn't be taken though.

8. Ant
    Original Member

Ant Silver Member

Status Points:
    It certainly makes up for that offline booking fee! [​IMG]

9. Petrus
    Original Member

Petrus Silver Member

Status Points:
    It has happened ;)

10. dream7
    Original Member

dream7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did the same exact thing. The Prince De Galle was a Marriott property back then, and I have to say it remains the finest Marriott I have ever stayed at.

Chic Silber likes this.
  11. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    yes, just happened to me... i booked us->mum for 2 in f, then when the return opened up called ba to get the return booked. they charged me $520 in fees (twice by accident), but did not deduct the additional 135K miles. i am still mulling calling to see if i should call and say they charged my credit card twice by accident, but maybe that would be pushing it... :)

12. @sfopeter, it would seem that one could ALWAYS call about being charged twice, certainly down the road and would get re-compensated for it. Currently, if the 135K miles is worth more than the 520$ second charge, I say roll with it. :)

13. Dan Dare

Dan Dare Active Member

Status Points:
    A few years back I booked LHR-ORD-ATL-JFK-LHR with UA (when they flew JFK-LHR) booked with another Star Alliance FFS. It was two tickets and my friend ended up not travelling and I bought a cheap return from ATL to get back early. I therefore only used the LHR-ORD-ATL (in F) but asked if I could get back the miles and taxes for the unused sectors for me and the complete lot for my friend.

I didn't expect anything but I got the lot back including the sectors flown and all taxes - I randg up to query and the agent said it was easier to let me keep the miles etc than try and reissue an award that had already been flown.

kaka likes this.
  14. ukgooner
    Original Member

ukgooner Silver Member

Status Points:
    As its such a long time ago, i feel safe to mention it... I redeemed for one of the last concorde flights. As you can imagine there was much juggling of dates to make the trip work. I was never charged.

kaka likes this.
  15. I talked with my buddy over the weekend, he said he still hasn't seen any debit of mileage OR his companion cert. Wow! now he's about to book some new travel for the fall. He's wondering what might happen if/when he books and then after the fact BA somehow retroactively debits mileage? How would that work? I wonder how one would have to either pay up or compensate? He's thinking just fein ignorance. :)

viguera likes this.
  16. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that's the biggest caveat of keeping quiet about a potential mistake when you intend to deal with them in the future. It's different than a fat finger fare or anything of the sort. I doubt they would dip into his account and pull the miles though...

17. PointHoarder
    Original Member

PointHoarder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow!!
    Out of curiosity, what would it have cost you otherwise in terms of miles/fees?

18. ukgooner
    Original Member

ukgooner Silver Member

Status Points:
    It used to be 4 x economy - so the trip should have been 50k miles CW one way and 100k Concorde one way. Fees were minimal back then - no fuel charges, no security levvy and no govt tax either.

PointHoarder likes this.
  19. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had on a few occasions not having my upgrade certificate be taken for the flight I took, so I would fly C with a free upgrade, but never a free ticket.
    Closest I got was somewhere around $30 in taxes/fees on a 1 way USA-Europe in F

20. Primula
    Original Member

Primula Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've heard of it happening, but sadly, never to me (I'd only get caught anyway).

Usually - for obvious reasons - it's only discussed in person and not on boards!

21. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe 8 years ago, I used Membership Rewards points to stay at the Ritz-Carlton on Maui (which you can't seem to redeem for anymore).

Anyway, I think we were planning to use something like 220,000 points for a week over Thanksgiving, which was a great deal. But they made it even better by never deducting the points from the account.