Have you ever felt a earthquake was it a Roll or a Jolt?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by FirstClassQueen, Apr 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. FirstClassQueen
    Original Member

FirstClassQueen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have felt both in San Francisco but the Jolt was the worst not fun.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 1989 Loma Prieta quake (which I experienced at Candlestick Park) was, to me, a combination of roll & jolt. Candlestick is built on bedrock - I can imagine that someone who was on landfill (such as in The Marina) had a very different experience.

A friend of mine had an interesting reaction: he had just paid his toll on the westbound Richmond - San Rafael Bridge and had just reached the overwater part of the bridge when the quake struck - he said it felt as if all four tires had simultaneously gone flat on his car.

jbcarioca and lazy_flyer like this.
  3. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have felt both here in San Diego. Last years quake around Easter was a roll for sure. It felt like we were on a boat not a small one story wood framed house.

4. santafefran
    Original Member

santafefran Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nothing here in New Mexico but growing up in Missouri and at Purdue in Indiana felt many small quakes that shook the house neither roll nor jolt, just shaking. Was in LA when they had a 5.something several years ago and it felt more like a roll. Scariest part was watching the chandeliers swaying in the big hotel's dining room.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, some minor ones in California, probably magnitude 3-4. They made me check to see whether I was imagining something happening. Severe enough for a quick mention in the news, but no serious damage.

I was also in California for at least several earthquake days.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Living in Redondo Beach in 1992, the Landers quake was like a sustained rolling, kind of like riding over gentle waves. The Northridge quake in 1994 was more of a bouncing up and down feeling, not unlike moderate turbulence, followed by a rolling motion. Aftershocks of that one were also more rolling than jolting or bouncing. I didn't even know about today's little quake until I got a text a few minutes after from a friend asking if I had felt it.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've experienced about 10 of them so far, in the US, Asia (Japan and Philippines), and Europe (Germany), and each has just been a shaking. None were over a 5, though, so I don't know how a big one would feel.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Slightly off-topic, but given the current obsession with earthquakes here (CHC), I have recently discovered that earthquakes that one person might feel as a roll, others may feel as a jolt and vice-versa. The type of building that you are in as well as the make-up of the ground that you are on both apparently affect the way it feels. Also being just 10km or so from the epicentre can make a massive difference to the severity of the shaking.

While not a geologist, in the last few months, I have learned more than I ever wanted to know...

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. Tor Viking
    Original Member

Tor Viking Silver Member

Status Points:
    I experienced one when I lived on Vancouver Island in Canada in 1989.
    It was a massive bang and that's it. I thought it was my dad that had fallen down the stairs....haha!
    (though the freaky thing about it was that I told my mum the day before it happened that we would have an earthquake at 7:30pm...... It came 15 minutes early)!
    Can I foresee things in the future.....sometimes yes, but when I see airplane crashes and then then they happen, that freaks me out!

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was in Jamaica in 2003 when a 3.8 hit the other side of the island during an outdoor dinner. I didn't notice it, but I'd already had a couple rum punches.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Been through a few quakes- the strongest one was back in 1965, the last one a couple years ago was a long roller type. It is amazing to see parking lot light standards sway +/- 3' and watch the ground ripple as if someone had tossed a rock into a still water pool.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was in one of the hardest-hit part of Kobe when the 1995 earthquake happened (M7.2)
    It was in the early morning hours so I remember waking up due to what I can only describe as the ground roaring, followed by a big jolt up and down, and then lots of random side-to-side shaking. It lasted only 20 seconds but it sure seemed to go on forever.
    I'm sure sendaiben can tell a lot of interesting tales from his experience last march (M9.0 earthquake off Sendai!)

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was also in the Loma Prieta, in the bar at a hotel just south of SFO, watching the game on TV. It was a huge rolling feeling but I managed to catch my beer bottle about 2 feet from the table, which used to be under it.

But more interesting was being underwater, scuba diving, in Papua New Guinea during an earthquake. No sensation at all of movement but there was a huge, loud but muffled crackling noise for almost half a minute. Weird.

14. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just a few shakes here and there for me, and that's fine with me. :eek:

Good save! :D

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. dedehans
    Original Member

dedehans Silver Member

Status Points:
    In a parking garage down near Union Sq in SF a few years ago......a shaky, wavy feeling.
    It wasn't an earthquake....just a tremor according to my SF friend. Gave me a shaky, wavy feeling though.....

jbcarioca and N965VJ like this.
  16. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. It's strange how 3 seconds of an otherwise semi-random life are remembered forever. I can still picture the entire room and the exact events.

We all ran outside but returned inside after a few minutes. I was first to the pay phones which were still working! Called my wife in Philadelphia to tell her about the shock and as soon as she answered she asked "are you ok?" I was shocked that she knew about it then remembered of course she would be watching the game.

There was a line so I kept the call to under two minutes. The guy behind me could not get a dial tone.

Other interesting thing was three or four days later I was able to get a flight out to LAX and thence onward somehow. Just as I entered the concourse at SFO they were unpacking a box of special earthquake T-shirts. Their first box of them. I got the first one.

17. rkt10
    Original Member

rkt10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was in one in Mexico in 1968 and it was more like a rattling. Everything in the house was rattling. Of course it was in the middle of the night, so the effect was clouded with sleep.

18. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Felt many over the years in SFO (shake), New Guinea (loud bang and heavy shaking), Wellington NZ (roll), Sydney (small wobble), Tokyo (many small shakes and rolls with alarms triggered)

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. There have, at the time of posting, been 6499 earthquakes in the Christchurch area since September 4, 2010. I couldn't tell you how many I have felt, generally anything bigger than a 3, depending on location. There have been over 2000 larger than 3, 724 larger than 3.5, 257 larger than 4, 77 larger than 4.5 and 20 larger than 5.

Here is an interesting graphical display of the activity http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/all

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel minor ones in Tennessee rather often. There's only been one "jolt" (epicenter was Indiana and this was right around 5 a.m. one morning) and the rollers tended to happen when I was in California in a previous job. Otherwise, it tends to feel like a minor vibration.

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    I live here in San Diego, I have felt both, the last major one (last Easter) was more of a rolling one.

sdcarver

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The recent Burma quake... in my room on a high floor of the Hyatt. Mild rolling.

(oh, and occasional California ones, since I live there)

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    years ago in dc. My office rolled a bit, and the glass windows rattled. We figured it was blasting for Metro construction (i said it was years ago...) but later learned it really was a temblor.

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Southern California over the years I've felt many. The really small ones tend to be just brief rolls, while the larger ones tend to be a sudden jolt followed by a period of rolling.

jbcarioca likes this.
  25. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good description of the larger Southern CA Quakes.

sdcarver

anabolism and jbcarioca like this.