Have you been on a flight when a passenger died?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by milchap, Apr 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had four or five medical emergencies and one diversion due to health concerns but luckily all sick pax survived.

2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to amend my initial post because I just remembered that I was on Hercules Military Evac flight where the soldier died before we got to the hospital.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had one medical diversion to a third country. In this case the issues were interesting because it was a student travelling alone who lacked the required visa for the third country. Not only was there the visa issue, but it was unclear if she was old enough to make medical decisions or who could make them for her. From my seat in the first row of BE, I could watch all of the action and hear all of the discussions among crew and between the purser and captain and the ground officials. I suggested contacting the school, especially the international students office, for insurance and contact information. After the stop, they moved the doctor--who sounded extremely well qualified--who had been helping up to the empty seat next to me as a gesture of appreciation. It was interesting talking with him about the decision procedures that resulted in our diversion.

To complicate the situation further, the airport where we landed was one where DL didn't normally fly, so that getting refueled and cleared to leave was also interesting as was watching the flight path on the screen. The stop took much longer than anyone had predicted and we arrived very late at night (with most connections missed).

Nevertheless, it felt good that DL did the right thing in diverting the aircraft.

milchap likes this.
  4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never.....

5. rkt10
    Original Member

rkt10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some kid fainted once. Does that count?

6. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    rkt10 likes this.
  7. smokescreen
    Original Member

smokescreen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thankfully no but saw a passenger get somewhat examined and given what looked like oxygen while in the air.. then
    rushed off the plane as soon as we reached the gate.. I hope they were ok..

savydog likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The closest was having a passenger collapse in the aisle next to my seat shortly after takeoff on a hot summer day. This was a delayed NW TATL flight from AMS and the woman didn't seem to speak English, so I was trying to ehlp by translating some basic health questions into German. They found a doctor on board and after some oxygen, cool air, and I think smelling salts, the person seemed to perk up. We did not divert and AFAIK she walked off the plane at our destination, although I think some airline personnel walked her through immigration and customs.

9. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought I once heard that planes like 747s and A380s have (or can be outfitted with) a special place where they put the body of persons who die on the plane. Something like a refrigerated compartment. The article said that it wasn't an issue on short flights, but happened occasionally on intercontinental flights. Did I dream it? Has anyone else ever heard of this?

10. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    SQ has space for deceased on A340-500.
    I recently read this: "With close to 2 billion pasengers a year, on average, on any given week one or
    two people die on board scheduled commercial flights somewhere in the world."

11. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have I? Fortunately not....at least that I'm aware of.

I do know someone who had a seatmate die on a TPAC flight about five years ago. Not going to mention specifics, but what they did was cover the individual up (discovered with about 45 minutes left in the flight, but they think the individual passed several hours before) and nobody really said much upon disembarking.

12. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. We continued on to LHR (from SFO). I remember seeing them board, and I thought to myself, "he's going home to die." He was a very old frail man with his 60-something year old daughter. He actually did die on the flight. The daughter did the wise thing. Diverting to Iceland, Greenland, or going back to someplace in Canada would have involved her having what could have turned into a multi-day very expensive nightmare.

13. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of my landings at SYD have had me pretty close :)

Concerto, BurBunny and Rlpro like this.
  14. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you been on a flight when a passenger died?

Yes. One that I remembered was on SQ17 from YVR to ICN.
    I had been on some flights that had to make a detour due to pax illness. One of them was on LH FRA-YVR.

15. prometheusg
    Original Member

prometheusg Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, not that I'm aware of. I worked on a cruise ship in Hawaii for a while. We'd have roughly one passenger die about every other cruise (10 day cruises). One poor guy collapsed about 10 minutes after coming aboard and died before they got him to an ambulance. I remember hearing that the cruise was his retirement gift, but that could have just been BS.

While stationed to an aircraft carrier, a co-pilot died when the pilot landed poorly and crashed. Another 6 died in a helicopter crash later that same year. Another pilot got disoriented while making a target practice bombing run at night and hit a guard shack instead of the target. Killed a couple of guards.

16. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

TimeZoneCST Silver Member

Status Points:
    On a cruise once where they had to airlift (from the ship) a guy back to Houston from the middle of the Gulf. Did not hear if he survived. But seriously, have you seen the way people eat on these floating Smorgasbord's!?! Really, I am not surprised this doesn't happen several times on a cruise.

17. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    A friend of mine was on a flight where the person in the seat next to her (a stranger) died during the flight. A day or two later, the same friend was at a business dinner, a banquet-style setup where she was seated at a table next to a stranger who died during the meal. My friend's boss' wife commented to my friend that she (my friend) was really having a bad week.

18. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not as bad a week as her seatmates!:eek:
    Love your avatar!:cool:

Freddie Listo and milchap like this.
  19. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    My thoughts also.

Freddie Listo likes this.
  20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Link to a story about an AA flight where a man died in route to MIA from JFK.

21. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Literally for me when unbeknownst to me until I deplaned in SYD I'd developed bilateral pulmonary emboli on the flight down. Was taken straight from the luggage hall to the hospital ER by ambulance (exiting through the back halls of customs in Sydney - some interesting spaces back there let me tell you). The first article I read about PE after I was admitted and could get online began "congratulations if you're reading this, as most PEs are diagnosed in the morgue." :eek:

22. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Buy a lottery ticket asap. :D

23. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL - no way! I don't want to use up my luck on something as minor as a lottery win. Seems I need it for more important things ;) (Though I have been blessed with an incredible amount of luck my entire luck... maybe I *should* go get that lotto ticket...)

milchap likes this.