Have Upgrade Coupon from Mileage Plus to be used on Lufthansa

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by Aditya Vyas, Nov 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Aditya Vyas Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello All,

Not sure if this is appropriate forum. I have received Mileape Plus Systemwide Upgrade printed for use on Lufthansa( LH). I want to use this for my MIL who is travelling on Nov 17th From SFO-BOM via FRA.

She is travelling LH code share flown by UA from SFO-FRA and then on LH from FRA-BOM. She has U class. My question sis how do I use thsi upgrade? I called Lufthansa and they told me to call UA.

Any one had guidance. i apologize if i missed a thread for this. I would love to have my MIL upgrade for brownie points :):)

Regards

Jimgotkp likes this.
  2. unroadwarrior
    Original Member

unroadwarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aditya, you can only use the SWU on one of the two segments - SFO-FRA or FRA-BOM. The printing of the SWU is only required for LH metal flights. For the UA metal flight, you can sponsor it online using the SWU in your account. But you will require two separate SWUs. I do not know if the fare class is upgradable.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I remember correctly, codeshare flights are not able to be upgraded with the SWU. The U fare is upgradeable but since it is a LH codeshare on UA metal it makes it ineligible. I don't think the U fare on LH metal is upgradeable either. You would have to tell the GA for the FRA-BOM flight that you have the printed SWU and would like it applied then from there it would depend on space availability in C.

Space in SFO-FRA:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.7.0/Diamond - Sabre: Availability/FS/US]
    Code:
    SFO  San Francisco Intl CA US [KSFO]
    FRA  Frankfurt Metro / Intl DE = FRA HHN [EDDF]
    THU  17 Nov 2011

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
    ---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  --------------------------------------------------------------

UA/LH      8828    SFO   14:40     FRA   10:40     744      F0 A0 J0 C0 D0 Z0 Y4 B4 M4 U4 H4 Q4 V4 W4 S4 T0 K0 L0 G0 E0

Space in FRA-BOM:

Code:
    BOM  Mumbai Chhatrapati Shivaji IN [VABB]
    THU  17 Nov 2011

---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  --------------------------------------------------------------------
    LH         756     FRA   13:10     BOM   01:25     744      F3 A3 J9 C9 D9 Z9 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 G9 Q9 V9 W9 S8 T0 E0 L0 K0

Anyways, if you are able to change the flight to UA 900 then you would be able to post the SWU and have a good chance for an upgrade compared to the LH8828 flight.

Code:
    SFO  San Francisco Intl CA US [KSFO]
    THU  17 Nov 2011

---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  --------------------------------------------------------------
    UA         900     SFO   13:54     FRA   09:45     744      F6 A6 J9 C9 D9 Z8 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 K9 L9 G9 E7

4. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Aditya Vyas Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just wanted to post an update regarding the upgrade coupon. As most of you pointed out no luck on UA900 flying to FRA but LH flight from FRA-BOm my MIL was upgraded to business:).​

5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's good to know!