Have SPG been promotions been unfairly overlooked by the "Frequent Traveler Awards"?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by MilePointInformed, Mar 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MilePointInformed
    Original Member

MilePointInformed Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,
    Perhaps I am missing something here so my apologies if any in advance.
    Today I voted in the "Frequent Traveler Awards" and was very surprised to see the following not in the order they appear below.Some examples though
    • Hyatt Gold Passport "The Big Welcome Back"
    • Priority Club (Earn up to 5 free nights)
    • SPG Double and Triple point promotion
    Why not the the SPG Free Weekend Nights Promotion with every 3 stays in 2010?
    I ceratinly wanted to vote for it despite being a slightly weaker offfering than years past
    Any explanations as to why this promotion may have been overlooked?
    I find other concerns with new FT Awards however this and one other omission really caught my eye

As a passionate past Freddies voter for over ten years I want the voting public to have their fair say
    SPG should also be recognized for their accomplishments and contributions to its members
    Perhaps there is a simple explanation for this like the timing of the release of the promotion and when the voting takes place?
    Perhaps Gary can shed some light here
    Thanks In Advance

unclepants likes this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Sure, happy to.

For the promotion categories we consult with the programs themselves on the nominations. After all, while I have my own opinion on what's best, they have the data on how their members responded. So when in doubt, we'll defer to the promotion that a program wants to highlight.

In this case, Starwood Preferred Guest chose More Nights = More Rewards over their Free Weekends promo. So nothing strange going on here, other than they felt it would make a better nomination, and that seemed reasonable enough to me.

3. MilePointInformed
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the helpful feedback/reply!
    It doesn't get any fairer then that :)
    I am not convinced SPG made the best choice as I feel there are a number of SPG supporters that prefer this program and group of hotels that might have otherwise voted.
    Marriott Rewards voters both in the past and more presently in my own observation seem to vote for anything Marriott sometimes regardless of the core value.

Had I been involved in SPGs decison making I would have still gone with Free Weekends.
    On the other hand perhaps the good folks from SPG felt they couldn't go up against Gold Passport or PC who allowed 7 day a week redemption for far less stays during the promotional period..........
    Their choice is certainly respected none the less
    Will be interesting!
    Cheers

travelingmore likes this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    exactly, while I still went ahead and qualified for a couple free SPG nights, it was only because I knew I would use them at an 'expensive' redemption/revenue property. Otherwise GP was my program of choice.

Thanks for the reminder to vote by the way, even though most who vote really don't know the ins/outs of all the programs.

5. MilePointInformed
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Appreciate you bringing that up Sweet Willie.
    Please all get out there and vote!
    http://vote.ftawards.com

Although I admire the new Frequent Travel Awards
    I still don't believe that the true cross section voice of the voting public has fully been heard.
    IMO it will take some time where they are better known as the Freddie’s was.
    I think they are well on their way..............The first event in Houston was very well run I might add.

Personally I don't measure a promotion on just how many free nights I earn or if it took two stays or three to earn them. I take a number of factors in perspective. The ease of redemption during the promotional period, the quality of hotels to choose from and the recognition of my elite status and overall experience during that award stay as well as how I was treated throughout the year.Its the relationship combined with actual promotion that make the difference.

In that regard SPG still would have received a higher placement than it did in my own personal voting..........
    Marriott received significant first place recognition in the past for a variety of awards which proved to me you don't have to be in the category killer promotion offering the most value to win..

I didn't vote for a single category Marriott was entered in to win yet regardless they won a wide variety of awards.
    Somebody out there is a big Marriott Rewards fan. Its good thing they don't depend on my vote :eek: