Have some questions about booking vacation.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by corz123, Nov 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys. I just decided the other day that I'm pretty burnt out recently and I'd like to book a vacation. Can someone explain to me how the free 1 way domestic ticket works after booking an international? I read something about this for UA and AA on one of the travel blog sites. Also, Would how do I set up a stop over? Like San Jose, CA --> San Jose, Costa Rica ---> Medellin Colombia?

Thanks in advance!
    I have a decent number of points with UA/AA/US AIrways/British :)

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    malikguy and BlueDog like this.
  3. BlueDog

BlueDog Active Member

Status Points:
    An example with AA would be JFK-CDG-JFK (stopover) JFK-HNL, so you have a free one-way JFK-HNL to use any time within one year of your departure JFK-CDG. The stopover is only valid in a oneworld North American gateway city, so it's helpful if you live in one of those cities (or can find a cheap positioning flight). Also, it's great that Hawaii counts as North America here, this results in the most value for your free one-way.

With UA, it's similar except your stopover does not have to be in the North America gateway city. However, Hawaii does not count as North America, so your free one-way must be in the cont. U.S. or Canada (although, you can add a one-way to Hawaii for not many more miles). Also, UA allows one stopover and two open jaws, so you could also have an open jaw at your destination (JFK-CDG, FRA-JFK). This is not possible with AA.

4. BlueDog

BlueDog Active Member

Status Points:
  5. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    We booked two one-way tickets to Bangkok through AA (Cathay Pacific First). Final ticket is Hong Kong to JFK. Realized after reading about this strategy that it could be used for our California vacation in May. So we fly HKG-JFK Cathay First the end of January and AA from EWR to LAX First in May! Great deal.

edekba likes this.
  6. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reading now...Just wanted to drop in to say thanks! :)

7. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    On behalf of everyone - you're welcome!:)

8. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys. I know it's been a few days but I'd like to revisit this issue :). So I looked a few articles and did a test booking using some arbitrary dates in December. I booked something like SJC --> SJO ---> MDE --> SJC (got the open jaw and stop over ideas from some members of the community :). Now, since it's apparently the heavy season it's going to be 80k united miles. I believe during this season it's 35k each way for a trip to that region from the U.S. so I'm guessing I'm being charged 10k extra for the stop.

Is this a good rate for a trip like this is there something I can do with United or a different airline to get a better rate? Does anyone also know if I can pay for the charges and taxes using a flight credit certificate that was issued to me for a delayed flight? Thanks again!!

9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm looking at United's award chart it should only be 40k for Economy for the Saver Award. If its the Stnd Award then yes its 80k. I don't think you're getting charged more for the stopover. Its just availability.

10. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try searching for the individual segments for saver awards as 1 segment in standard will trigger the standard (larger) amount of miles to be charged.

11. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys. Please help a new guy here. :) I searched earlier and saw some flights but now when I search (not sure if the parameters changed slightly) but now I'm getting an error that they can't find any flights...Maybe one of you vets could take a look for me?

I tried looking for a flight from SJC to SJO on 12/17. Then SJO to MDE on 12/22 and from CLO to SFO/SJC on about 1/12 and I was able to find flights totally to 75000 miles! Basically I want to spend 4 days or so in San Jose, CR and the rest of my time in Colombia.

Ahh.... What am I doing wrong here?

12. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Simple answer? Booking too late :)

I just looked right now and only Stnd F/J award tickets are avialable for those dates...

If you look at the award chart, and put in From/To you'll see a plethora of information. But the main points to focus on are
    1. First/Bus vs Economy (First/Bus more expensive than Eco)
    2. Saver vs Stnd Award (Saver is space controlled thus higher cost)
    When you search for flights/segments you want to select the blue box (saver) & under Economy if you want the cheapest rate.

I looked again if you're flexible in dates ... you should be able to get Saver but again under F/J thus it should be 70k. But also be aware that since its 21 days till departure UA will charge you a fee for booking an award ticket this close to departure unless you're an Elite. (At least I think so)

malikguy likes this.
  13. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    How do I get the calendar to show up? Ugh I just found the previous itinerary like 3-4 days ago. What dates did you see for saver and whatnot?

14. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is recent post that breaks down a lot of the intricacies of United's calendar.

http://milevalue.com/tricking-united-coms-award-calendar/

15. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Guys. I just booked my flight with a stopover and open jaw. Thanks a ton for all the help! :)

16. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually 1 more thing...is there a way to have this pesky $75 closed in booking fee waived?

17. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    if you're not an elite .. i don't think so

18. Yesterday I booked two one-way ticket to Thailand for me and my wife from AA. Final Ticket is from Thailand to New York (Home Town). I plan to spend 14 days in Thailand exclude Traveling time.