Have routing credits changed? Stop vs plane change?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Jenny & Curt, Nov 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Checking LAX-BOS today on dot bomb, I was offered a nonstop, at 2611 PQMs (the same as Great Circle mapper shows), or some one-stops. One could connect through either IAH or ORD, which should be 2976 and 2611, respectively. However, UA lists the first batch of the itineraries as 2611 miles. The site says:
    1 Stop. Time on the ground in Chicago, IL (ORD - O'Hare) is 3 hours 4 minutes. Change Planes. Equipment changes in Chicago, IL (ORD - O'Hare) to a Boeing 737-900.

Then, there are several flights listed with the mileage I would expect (full GCMapper miles), and notes like this:
    Change Planes. Connect time in Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental) is 1 hour 19 minutes.

I do not understand what the rules are here. What's the difference between stopping and having your equipment change vs stopping and changing planes? Why would you not get credit for the miles flown?

2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's easy, if the flight number is one flight number it is being marketed as a direct flight (1 stop, vs non-stop). You get the miles from the origin to the destination in this case, not the individual miles segment-to-segment.

If you however connect from UA 123 LAX-IAH and UA 456 IAH-BOS you get the miles for the individual segments.

This hasn't changed, it's always been like this. If you want the additional miles the easiest option is to go for the individual flight numbers.

3. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this. Until recently, I never got close enough to status to worry about it, so I was trying to learn/unlearn/re-learn just as the merger was taking place, and really can't sometimes see the forest for the trees. It helps to have someone point out, for instance, that flight number is the driver here. Thank you. (I would have thought an equipment change would suffice.)

mht_flyer likes this.
  4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think it's always been like this. At least not on pmUA. Maybe it was on pmCO. But this policy has been in effect at least since the new MileagePlus program earlier this year.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The legacy CO systems were always like this. The legacy UA systems for at least 2 years prior to the systems integration on 3.3 would give proper credit for every flight.

And I've had decent success with the systems now splitting the trip into separate segments, even unprompted by me, to provide full credit for trips.

You also can call the reservations line and have them split the trip into individual segments. It makes getting seats and upgrades work better, too, in addition to the miles.

mht_flyer and Jenny & Curt like this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Upgrades for a multi-segment itinerary that is not split can be tough to confirm because the entire itinerary would have to have R-space available. Therefore, having the trip split increases the chances to confirm upgrades...

7. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Everyone else is correct. If you want to book the same flight number for say an LAX-ORD-BOS flight you should book them as a multi-city itinerary. This means the flights are already booked separately as LAX-ORD and then ORD-BOS. This helps with upgrades, although irrelevant to the OP because they don't have status, and also helps with getting the correct amount of PQM for each flight. It also charges the right amount of taxes from the get-go. If you book this as a through flight and then call UA and ask them to separate it out they may be reluctant to do so.

-Rob

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Per UA Insider they are supposed to do it upon request. My guess is most times the agent balks at it the reason is that they don't know how.

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Jenny & Curt likes this.
  10. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    A tiny point of order: I, the OP, do have status. My Premier Gold, though not a big deal to many here, took me a lot of effort to get, and I'm pleased with and proud of it. Keeping it is most of the reason I need to learn about things that will prevent me from getting full mileage credit.

11. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, your second post in this thread said, "Until recently, I never got close to status..." I took that to mean you have no status and you want extra miles to get to silver. You don't list UA Gold in your signature either.

-Rob

12. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was getting dizzy with all of the things in my signature, so I took some out, but I think airline status is probably something I should add back in, as it informs the reader of the poster's position when asking questions or giving advice. Do you agree?