Have questions about flying to/from Hawaii

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Miss Staunton, Aug 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Miss Staunton

Miss Staunton Silver Member

Status Points:
    We just had a timeshare in Oahu fall into our lap for the end of Sept. Apparently a friend of ours isn't using it and offered it to us. I have never been to Oahu. We are currently flying out of DTW or any airport that is relatively nearby PLN, CIU, TVC. I would like to go Business or First class. We would return from either KOA or LIH - it doesn't matter as we can switch our plans for hotels based on airline airline availability. At this point, it looks like it will be Delta that we fly but also looking at UAL. We have no elite status.

My question is....are there any international flights from the US that make a stop in HNL. Secondly, would you choose UAL or DL for this flight? Thirdly, I have about 57000 DL points but a lot of AmEx membership reward points that I can transfer over. My thought is to get one award seat (for me) and then purchase my husband's seat with his AmEx Delta card. Delta's Business class is about 2K whereas UAL is about 3K. I'm concerned about burning too many points as we are trying to book a trip to SA and then a stopover in Scotland within a few weeks. I have 131,500 UAL, 260,000 UR and 245,000 AmEx. What are your thoughts?

TravelBear likes this.
  2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I were you I would start by looking to see what sort of availability UA and DL have on the dates you want and at what # of miles. You may find that bit of research will answer your questions outright (i.e. one has availability for far fewer miles, one has better connections, etc.)

TravelBear likes this.
  3. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    United will fly you thru Guam on miles. Guam would be your gateway city and not Hawaii. If you have
    American Miles then you can fly American to Hawaii and Japan Airlines to Asia. Hawaii will then be your free stop.

TravelBear likes this.
  4. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey MissStaunton! How's it going?? Anywho, I would echo miles and smiles and check DL availability before moving points. Also, I recently had issues when attempting booking availability I KNEW was there on DL.dumb so be ready for a headache and lots of clicking. I believe you can still put Awards on hold with DL , though this is supposed to change in the near future. PM me some specific dates and preferred flight times and I will see what I can sort out as I have had too much experience with their engine lately :).

Hope all is well with you!

jwsky and miles and smiles like this.
  5. Miss Staunton

Status Points:

6. Miss Staunton

Status Points:
    Hi TravelBear, hope you received my PM.

miles and smiles likes this.
  7. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    While TVC is a great airport, you may save a significant amount of money by coming down I75 and using FNT.

DTWBOB

8. Miss Staunton

Status Points:
    Thanks for your suggestion. We are going to go down to DTW and leave from there. We were able to transfer points from AmEx to Kris Flyer and book through them on UAL. Their award chart was more generous and we saved ourselves 40,000 miles by booking 2 Business Class tickets through them.

We'll leave our car at the airport and have my brother-in-law pick it up and store it for us the two weeks we are gone. They live about 30 minutes away.

jwsky, 8MiHi and miles and smiles like this.
  9. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    Island hopping with miles is a good deal, as the flights can be expensive. I was able to use some of my Delta miles last trip.