Have F award ticket, Y confirmed on one segment, can I upgrade to C?

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by Canadi>n, Sep 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    At the moment there is no C award inventory (okay technically I-class inventory) on a connecting flight to my F transAt, but LH still shows C for sale. If there is an empty C seat at check-in can I request the upgrade on a CO-issued award ticket?

Also, is there an Arrivals lounge at MUC? Can't find any reference to one, so assume it doesn't exist for those not flying onward (who can use showers in one of the Business, Senator or First lounges).

2. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    That would be one very nice check-in agent...

Btw, your signature is cool but makes me dizzy...

3. oliver2002
    Original Member

oliver2002 Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. NewbieRunner
    Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you arrive in MUC on LH in F, you can use the First Class Lounge on arrival.

5. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do check-in and gate agents have access to a passenger's entire PNR/itinerary?

It would be a tremendously nice gesture should they upgrade you even if they're all out of award seats.

6. oliver2002
    Original Member

oliver2002 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sure it would be a nice gesture, but the coupon of that segment is issued in X and LH wouldn't get the money from CO for the service they provided in C, so a loss, ie the gate agent gets chewed up when the upgrade gets audited. For the passenger to be rightly placed in C (I) the issuing carrier needs to reissue that ticket in I. We had that at the last SMD when a first (O) award was issued by US DM in Y for the return for lack of availability. We managed to convince LH to free an O seat but US had to reissue the award ticket for LH to check him in properly.

7. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry but LH (and other carriers involved) gets the full award discounted first class fare from every FF program when tickets are even partially issued in that fare class. That's why many carriers do permit an upgrading of cabin when the fare class of the award ticket is in the higher class cabin, but seat issued is in the lesser cabin (and a higher cabin seat is available at flight time). As it turned out, LH put me on a non-stop ex-MUC in F all the way. They were also prepared to put me onto the MUC-DUS-ORD routing in C and F but only another MegaDoer got the last remaining F seat between DUS-ORD.

8. oliver2002
    Original Member

oliver2002 Silver Member

Status Points:
    But you were in an Irrop (or irreg as LH calls it) situation so you got rebooked. In normal cases if an I/O seat becomes available on the day of departure, you have make sure LH didn't check you in and releases control of the coupon, you then call the issuing FFP and ask them to reissue the ticket and checkin with LH again.

9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    From a purely "customer facing perspective"- the issue that the internal billing of two suppliers is not able to support delivering to an end user what they paid for- does seem to be a fair concern. While we all know (as is posted here) that this flexibility isn't possible- given the potential end user impact it would seem there are three potential remedies:
    1. Don't allow a customer to buy a mixed itinerary- this is the lose/lose as the customer can't get even partially what they want and revenue is not being maximized (even if it is points derived revenue).
    2. Upgrade the IT system to accomodate transaction- while it sounds nice on an IBB probably extremely costly and complex for the number of accordances per year (this is the Win/Lose- customer wins, company loses)
    3. Recognize this is a restriction as a result of point 2 and allow the customer the "upgrade". A note in the PNR or a link to audit exemption could allow this to be as close as a Win/Win as possib le.

OK, now back to the real world:

"No, you won't get to fly in C even if there are 50 seats open".

10. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just to be clear, when redeeming miles mixed itineraries are charged to us at the higher fare level, unlike a revenue ticket which may be priced with both F, C and/or Y segment breakdowns. So even if there is a lower class of service in one or more segments, the FF program is paying the carrier the full higher fare value. There are carriers that will confirm the higher fare seat if even a revenue seat in that class is open upon departure since they are being reimbursed for that higher fare seat.