Have expiring VDB vouchers. Could I buy refundable tickets and exchange for new tickets later?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by chemist562, Aug 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    I have a set of VDB vouchers ($400) expiring later this week. (forgot that I had them). Can I use them for 2 refundable one way tickets and later use each of the new tickets for another ticket.

I was thinking of using them for LAX-SFO & SFO-LAX H fares for June 2012 travel ($203 each way--$3 on CC and $200 voucher). Would I be able to exchange later each ticket for another fare that is more expensive (say $220ai and pay the $17 difference for each ticket?

I really want to extend my vouchers and would the above work?

2. travel.flier
    Original Member

travel.flier Active Member

Status Points:
    I don't think so. The value you'd get back is likely only what you paid in cash and the vouchers will disappear. I'm not sure this was always the case, but last I tried, I was not successful in retaing the value.

3. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reusing a voucher or transferring any amount of said voucher towards another itinerary after the first purchase is verbotten.

Use it or lose it, and once you use it towards any booking it's stuck to that itinerary!

I learned the hard way!!

Sorry!

mht_flyer and jmrich1432 like this.
  4. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    I put tickets on hold for my wife & I. SNA-DEN-AUS in mid Feb 2012. Cost $220pp. Net cost $20.80 per ticket after vouchers. I used to live in Austin in the early/mid 80's and love visiting Austin. I was cutting it close as the voucher expires one year after 8/19/10.

Thanks for the replies. Went to LAX and exchanged $400 in vouchers plus $41.60 for the above 2 tickets. I usually fly AA but I'm not going to let $400 go to waste. :)

goalie likes this.
  5. AA_EXP09

AA_EXP09 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or you could try and trade them on the other website's coupon connection for miles/eVIP.
    (For AC though on RFD I have had people pay $30/eUG!)