Have all domestic airlines removed bulkheads between first and economy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by PrentProps, Feb 24, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. PrentProps

PrentProps New Member

Status Points:
    When did the trend start to remove the bulkheads between first and economy? I haven't taken but one domestic flight in the last two years that the bulkhead hadn't suddenly become a curtain. I can't believe that the weight savings is that significant. And, there's now a downside for eccentrics like me who always chose the last row in first to avoid someone kicking the back of our seat. There are 3 seats in economy so you have 3 potential 'kickers' behind you instead of just 2 as in any other first class row. I know this sounds snobby, but it's a real thing for me (and I'm not rich - I carefully choose my trips and don't go if I can't afford it). Are there any domestic airlines left that haven't made this switch? I fear I might start having to make cross-country car trips.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    A long time ago in Europe. Less recently (or pervasively) in the US.

Yes, it does.

Most people don't kick the seat in front of them. If you're really that concerned, however, the UA narrow body aircraft all have a solid divider between Y and F. Pretty sure there are others, too.

3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Honestly, I can't say that I've noticed kicking on even 1% of my flights. One time I had an ill-mannered kid behind me I guess.

And I'm on planes with bulkheads (much of AA's fleet) pretty much weekly. They tend to restrict recline, which is a bit annoying. If you need to know, look on seatguru or similar.

In general, I find bulkheads to be significantly more prevalent than seat kickers.