Have a Wheeled Carry On You Love? Please Help Me Find One

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by anng3, Mar 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am sick of having to wonder whether my carry on will get rejected on European flights.
    I have an old Tumi. I used to love it for U.S. domestic travel but it's heavy and often
    seems to be an inch too wide or tall. I'd like to get a durable, lightweight bag. Do you
    have a wheeled carry on you love and would recommend?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. Morgan
    Original Member

Morgan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I share your concerns. My old TravelPro rollaboard was wonderful from a quality standpoint, but would never fit in the carry-on sizers at the airport even though it was supposedly compliant.

I replaced it with a slightly smaller no-brand rollaboard from Costco which fits the sizers fine but is of much lower quality. I'm interested to hear what others have to say on this.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Samsonite Sprinner, 4 wheels, soft side, have had one for many years, they are costly, but well worth the price. It's the only piece of luggage I take with me, fits in the overhead bins perfectly. Also with the four wheels you can move up and down the aisles with it sideways, this keeps you from bumping into seats, I also use it sideways most the time easier than pulling it behind you.

jbcarioca and anng3 like this.
  4. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's interesting. I've had a plastic large Samsonite Spinner that has a built in TSA lock that's been a great suitcase. I never thought about looking for a carry on. I'm gonna try and see it online. Have you taken it on the Ryan Air's of the world?

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just looked at them. They weigh 9-10 lbs. A bit heavy. There is a plastic that is only 6lbs but not sure how the hard plastic will stick in a overhead bin?

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the 20 inch expandable wide transcend by briggs & riley. I love the bag, and have carried it on several BA and LH inter-european flights with no problem.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have (and love) the 19" Tumi rollaboard. It's the black with the red piping, hard sided. While it, so far, has not been an issue weight wise, I'm concerned about flights to Europe where weight seems to be critical. It was my only luggage for a 16 day trip thru Asia (!) and I had no problem with any of the airlines, although in premium cabins they don't seem to care so much what you bring aboard!:D

gleff likes this.
  8. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    flacey8, East_Yorker and jbcarioca like this.
  9. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Regarding the hard size carry on's, I had a bad experience with a Heyes which was given to me. Was on a RJ and it would not fit so had to gate check it. When I recieved it after the flight, there was a huge dent in it. The airline had it repaired, but it looked awful. I would NEVER buy a hard case after this mishap, carry-on or otherwise personally I think they are bad buys, at least a soft side will have some give and take to it. I have had to gate check my Samsonite spinner a few times do to the aircraft being RJ's and never had any damage to it.

10. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I bought a Heyes at Costco and the zipper broke on my first trip. I returned it. It turned me off to Heyes. Those Rinowa's are expensive. Still looking. Ideally thinking maybe a duffle type that stands up in a light weight material.

11. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    So . . . an RJ is . . . ?

12. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe a Ryan Air Jet?

13. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe so. Thank you for responding to me. I'm about to bow out of this conversation because I just can't keep up with the abbreviations and there are no explanations. I'm interested in the bag conversation as I will be buying one soon. I just don't have a clue what an RJ is. This site has a lot of that going on, and I've found that not many people are really interested in newcomers or explaining what the heck they're talking about. It's frustrating, and not terribly welcoming.

14. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Slow down, friend. I know the frustration - I've been at it about 5 years and remember vividly what you are feeling. So let me say that first of all, don't even think of going near FlyerTalk - they can be brutal! Second of all, seasoned people in every field use abbreviations and before you now it, you will too. I'd venture that RJ means a small jet with smaller overhead compartments, but that really doesn't affect your question all that much.

What I can assure you is that if you care about making the most of your travels, with good fares, great upgrades and enough frequent flyer mile savvy to really be able to live it up, you will be doing yourself a major disservice if you bail out of all of these conversations. I cannot put a dollar value (or experiential one) on what I have received from sites like this and FlyerTalk. Trust me, it's worth it. Hang in there!

intueri and Bonnie like this.
  15. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    On MP (and I believe even more so at TOTB...the other talk board) a lot of people speak in initials. The majority of people posting here are very seasoned flyers who are used to talking in 'airline speak'. That means using a lot of initials that refer to airport codes, aircraft, class of service, airlines, etc., etc.

I (and I'm sure many) can appreciate your frustration. When I first started lurking on travel sites, I felt like I entered a foreign country. I was at a loss as to what was being said. I found the conversations fascinating, however, and so I just kept reading. The more I read, the more I began to develope a bit of fluency in this crazy language. There still is much that goes way over my head, but that's OK. Even if I don't know what RJ means, I get the gist of the thread. And as for posting......believe me, the first few times I posted, I was more nervous than when turning in a college term paper!

I think you'll find that if your efforts are sincere and you are patient you'll receive a lot of support and great information. The glossary here can also be a big help. This really is an incredibly informative and fun place to hang out. So.....as they say on SNL (Saturday Night Live)....."stick around, we have a great show for you":cool:

16. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Miloki, what bag's are you looking at? I want to go from a bag that had to hold work clothes to one that I can roll things in. I prefer more space without inserts that let you hang items. Don't give up on Mile Point. It's a cool site. Just keep asking questions and you'll get some answers. I'm invisioning some type of nylon strong material that has some support to stand up but other than that light and basic. I looked at the Rick Steves but a lot of people are not happy with theirs.

17. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    last wheelie broke went to target got a cheap Swiss Army roller board -- been absolutely fine 85k on it, and no complaints.

18. samonyc
    Original Member

samonyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I treated myself to the Tumi Alpha Super Leger International Carry On last month and have used it for two trips so far. It fits easily in the overhead bin of a B752, A319/A320, and E175 by my own experience.

19. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    RJ=Regional Jet, usually less than 70 passengers

HumanBeing91 likes this.
  20. IndyDavid
    Original Member

IndyDavid Gold Member

Status Points:
    I second the Briggs & Riley suggestion. We bought a matching pair of Explore 22's after reading Lucky's review. It's super-lightweight, sturdy, easy to pack, and has a lifetime unlimited guarantee. That still doesn't necessarily mean you'll get it past the luggage dragons at Gatwick, but since 99% of my flying is domestic, it works great for me.

21. Titan X2 - the best luggage money can buy unlike overpriced Tumi and Samsonite. Don't be fooled though, Titan is not cheap...