Have a delicious home meal lately? Please post

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by Sweet Willie, Oct 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please post to this thread a description of the delicious home meal you had recently (& recipe if possible).

To start:

Mrs Willie had watched an episode of Barefoot Contessa where the host made mussels w/a saffron mayo, Mrs Willie recorded show for me to watch.
    I hadn't prepared mussels in awhile & they were only 2lbs for $5 at my local fish monger, so we made them Ina's way last night for dinner.
    DELICIOUS !
    recipe here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/mussels-with-saffron-mayonnaise-recipe/index.html#!
    -

2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I cook, I'm mostly about easy with sharp/powerful flavors.

A very easy appetizer I've been making (& that I now get requests for when invited over) is a homemade smoked fish dip.

While I have smoked my own fish before, it is generally the same price to go and pick up some fish that has already been smoked, so I skip home smoking.

I mostly use smoked Lake Trout (from the Great Lakes) or if not available I'll use smoked whitefish (also from the Great Lakes). On a side note, Lake Trout is an often overlooked fish. Fresh Lake Trout grilled is as good as many of the pacific salmon varieties. (IMO). Lake Trout is also sold at a very reasonable price, smoked or fresh.

So take about 1/2lb of smoked fish, remove skin & pull bones from fish. Flake fish into a bowl, I aim for 1/3" pieces but am not overly precise.

Then add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of mayo, couple table spoons of Dijon (or brown mustard), some fresh ground black pepper and 1/2 cup of finely chopped pickles (or pickle relish).
    For pickles I chop up some Tony Packo's Sweet/Hot pickles but have utilized pickle relish in past & sometimes omitted the pickles all together.

Mix all ingredients. One can then serve immediately if needed. I prefer to put mixture in fridge to let flavors marry for a few hours before serving.

Enjoy!

Newscience, uggboy and anileze like this.
  3. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife is known for making a chicken & wild rice soup that is just killer (or to die for, whichever suits your fancy...;))...I will get that recipe and post it...one of my favorites.

4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    And a photograph or two if possible :)

Newscience, uggboy and Sweet Willie like this.
  5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    Newscience and uggboy like this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shrimp and Oyster Perloo - a delicious recipe courtesy of www.saveur.com

Another one pot meal (well I guess two pots as I made some quick shrimp stock from the shrimp shells). I also did not use 25 oysters, I used 9. I also did not use the oyster liquor as I purchased my oysters already shucked, so I used shrimp stock. Not only was this a wonderful dinner but with a poached egg on top it made for a delicious breakfast this morning.

2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
    1⁄2 lb. country ham, finely chopped
    1⁄2 lb. kielbasa, cut on the diagonal
    into 1⁄4"-thick slices
    2 medium onions, chopped
    1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded,
    and chopped
    1 jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
    3 tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
    1 tsp. dried thyme
    1⁄2 tsp. cayenne pepper
    Kosher salt and freshly ground
    black pepper, to taste
    3 medium tomatoes, peeled,
    seeded, and chopped
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 cup long-grain rice
    3⁄4 cup chicken broth
    25 medium oysters, shucked (about 9 oz.),
    1⁄2 cup of their liquor reserved
    35 large shrimp (about 1 1⁄2 lbs.), peeled
    5 scallions, chopped, to garnish

1. In a 6-qt. pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add ham and kielbasa and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add onions, peppers, jalapeños, parsley, thyme, and cayenne and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid from the tomatoes thickens, about 10 minutes. Stir in rice, chicken broth, and oyster liquor. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, until rice is almost cooked through, about 20 minutes.

2. Stir in shrimp and oysters. Cover and continue to cook on medium-low heat until the shrimp are bright pink and the edges of the oysters have curled, about 10 minutes. Season with salt. Serve perloo sprinkled with the chopped scallions.

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  7. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well there was nothing much to prepare. The ingredients came from Zabars (Salmon) sauce made from Paris Duty Free (creme garlic mustard) local honey and white pepper. I substrituted fenugreek instead of dill.

salmon.jpg

Newscience, Sweet Willie and uggboy like this.
  8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to use honey more & more when a recipe calls for sweetness. I'll actually use honey in my stir fries along with chili oil, creates a delicious sweet/hot (w/depth) flavor, especially good with fish, shrimp, eggplant, or chicken.

9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    About every 3 weeks I create what I call breakfast goop tacos, I know goop is not exactly a great word to use when describing most things but I'm not a food writer.

In one pot, I'll sauté some chorizo, vegetarian chorizo (keeps the recipe healthy(er)), chilies (Serrano or Jalapeno, as well as poblano), diced onion, sliced mushrooms, 1 can of refried beans (I really like black beans (lowfat, tons of flavor) but will use fat free pinto as well), 1 cup of shredded cheese. The whole concoction becomes goop which is DELICIOUS on a tortilla.

The goop becomes firm when put in fridge, so I scoop a bit out the following mornings, place on a tortilla, nuke the tortilla & mixture, and there you go, a tasty breakfast taco in less than 1 minute for my weekday breakfasts. The beans and chorizo have the satisfying protein that I crave in the mornings.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    Newscience, anileze and uggboy like this.
  10. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for starting this string, Willie! I suspect that it will have a long life on Milepoint! Now I just need to think of a contribution-worthy recipe!

Sweet Willie likes this.
  11. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    another home creation: Shrimp in tomato goat cheese.

It was one of those evenings where I didn't know what to cook for dinner. Seeing some sort of possibility with what I had on hand I made the following:

Sautéed chopped scallion in olive oil until just going soft.

Added 1/2 to 3/4 jar of leftover pasta sauce, 1/4 cup of water & then heat the mixture

Add 1lb wild gulf of Mexico shrimp (in Chicago I find wild caught Gulf of Mexico shrimp have far more taste than any farm raised I've had)
    I did not take the shells off of the shrimp as it adds an amazing amount of flavor to the sauce. Cook the shrimp until just done (do NOT overcook seafood!!).

Let mixture cool.

While mixture above is cooling, slice a good Italian loaf of bread into 1/2" slices and lightly toast/fry in a pan with some mojo de ajo (roasted garlic olive oil).

Take the shrimp for the cooled sauce & peel the shrimp - yes this is a messy PITA move but cooking the shrimp in the shells does add so much flavor.

Once bread is done & shrimp have been removed from their shells, reheat the tomato sauce/scallion mixture without the shrimp.

Slowly add some goat cheese to the warmed mixture, make the sauce have a slightly cheesy accent or go to town, your choice. Once the desired amount of cheese is added to the mixture, add the shrimp only to heat them, you are not re-cooking the shrimp.

Then top garlic toast w/the shrimp/sauce and a bit of chopped parsley to garnish.

I've made this for friends & family and always there is NOTHING left to eat, in fact people have come into the kitchen, made some more garlic toast & wiped the pot clean:D

anileze and Newscience like this.
  12. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing this great recipe, Sweet Willie! I often find that the best meals are made from simple-to-make recipes!

The last time that we were in Aruba, we were fortunate to stay in a private residence with kitchen facilities. And so we bought fresh super-jumbo shrimp from Ling and Sons supermarket, either broiled them or steamed them in beer, and then dipped them in butter, to be enjoyed with a fresh Amstel!
    Newscience

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    uggboy, anileze and Sweet Willie like this.
  13. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been very pleased with this Balinese Roasted Chicken recipe from the cooking show Movable Feast.

The recipe states that you can substitute bay leaves in place of the kaffir lime leaves but I don't think you'll have the intended flavor profile if you do.

Ingredients:
    • One 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
    • 3/4 cup coarsely chopped shallots
    • 10 medium cloves garlic, peeled and halved
    • 3 small red Thai chiles or serranos, coarsely chopped
    • 2 tsp. ground turmeric
    • 2 Tbs. coconut oil
    • 6 chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 lb.)
    • 6 chicken drumsticks (about 1-1/2 lb.)
    • 4 medium limes, quartered
    • 6 fresh wild lime leaves
    • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • Fresh parsley leaves for garnish

Combine the garlic, ginger, shallots, chiles, and turmeric in a food processor and pulse until the mixture is finely chopped.

Melt the coconut oil in a 10- to 12-inch heavy frying pan over medium heat. Add the chile mixture and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant and softened, about 2 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and let cool completely.

Place the chicken pieces in a 3-quart baking dish. Squeeze the limes over the chicken and toss to coat. Add the cooked chile mixture, the whole lime leaves, 2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper, and using your hands, rub the mixture into the chicken until well coated. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight. (tip, If you don't want your hands yellowed from the turmeric, wear some gloves)

Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Arrange a rack in the top third of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F. Bake the chicken, uncovered, until tender and an instant read thermometer inserted into the center of a thigh (without touching the bone) registers 180°F. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove the lime leaves and garnish with parsley leaves before serving.

Betty Boop likes this.
  14. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    A simple vegetarian meal: Potato curry, black lentil in garlic+cream, paneer+green pepper(capsicum/bell peppers) with roti (substitute flour tortilla)

Lunch-veg1.jpg

Recipe for Potato Curry:

Oil - 1 tblspn
    Onion - 1 large sliced thinly
    Green Chilli - 2 slit
    Tomatoes - 2 large chopped finely
    Turmeric Powder / 1 tsp
    Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
    Potatoes - 2 large
    Garam Masala - 1 tsp (You can get in Indian spice store) or mix 1/2spoon of cumin+coriander powder
    Sugar - 1 tsp

Salt & Water by visual estimate

Cook potatoes till they are tender, peel them and mash them roughly. Heat oil in a pot. Add in onions and saute for a 2 minutes till transparent, then salt and turmeric and cook till another 2-3 minutes. Now add in tomatoes and green chilli and garam masala. Cook this for 5 to 8 mins till they turn mushy. Now add in chilli powder and saute for a min. Pour in water and mix well. Add in sugar and mix well.
    Now add in the potatoes simmer in low heat for 7-8 mins. Taste and check for consistency. Add more chilli if insufficient.

Black Lentil (Urad dal) 1/2 cup
    Ginger+garlic Paste 1 tsp
    Tomato paste 1/2 cup
    Onion 1 med
    milk/cream 1/4 cup
    Green Chilli 1-2
    Turmeric 1/2 tsp
    red chilli 1/2 tsp (or 1/4 black pepper)
    Garam masala 1 tsp

Salt and Ghee to taste

Soak black lentil overnight. Cook in three times the water in microwave safe dish for about 15 minutes.

In a pot saute onions, add spice mixture and stir well for 2-3 minutes. Add ginger+garlic paste saute 30 sec. add the tomato pulp and chilli powder and little water. Simmer for 4-5 minutes till even consistency.

Add black lentil and milk/cream stir well and let it simmer for 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle chopped green chilli and add a dollop of ghee.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  15. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sad to admit I've never made curry from scratch at home.

I have prepared UK pub style chicken curry with the far too easy to use curry cubes one can buy in numerous stores. This is a favorite dish of Mrs Willie. (example of a brand of curry cube: http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/product/golden-curry-med-hot-3-5-oz )

anileze likes this.
  16. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    That japanese curry is a different kettle of fish. It tastes different. In India there is no curry ! It is only outside India, the term is popular. In the northern part of India, they'd call the above Alu(Potato) tamatar (tomato) subzi (vegetable/gravy)

The spice mix in Vietnam is different from that of Malaysia, than in singapore. The ingredients that go into make of the mix vary. The most variety being in India, where no two household have same spice mix.

IN NYC the store to go to is http://www.kalustyans.com/ I think in Chicago one should head to Devon Av. for spices.

17. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Clean out the refrigerator Mussels: :D:p
    muss1.jpg

Unlike the restaurant prepared Mussels (belgian style) mine is based on clearing the refrigerator of leftover vegetables. More broth less of mussels.

This one:

Celery 2 stalks
    Tomato 1medium sized
    Garlic - 3-4 pods
    Ghee (or any oil) - 2 tsp
    Onion - I medium sized
    Spinach - barely one handful
    Fenugreek - barely one handful
    Vegetable stock - Left over from Whole Food's generic carton
    Ouzo - 2 shots
    Salt and black pepper to taste.

A helpful neighborhood fishmonger was kind enough to clean and debeard some mussels for me. Chopped Onions and Garlic and sauteed them in ghee. Added chopped celery, tomatos, and sauteed it for a minute and a half or so. Then put rest of the ingredients, mussels. Covered and brought it to boil. Waited till mussels opened. Ate in the same pot with two day old garlic bread for dunking in the broth.

kellio and Sweet Willie like this.
  18. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find it funny that out of the number of people I know that LOVE mussels, so few cook them at home, when mussels are a very easy item to cook.

anileze and kellio like this.
  19. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    We don't have beef often in our house, but when we do I make sure it is a full flavored item such as skirt steaks. I am more than happy to let all the rest of you have the tenderloin!

The one thing I served this time with these grilled skirt steaks is chimichurri, which I had never made before. Seeing as it was so darn easy, I see chimichurri being served on a regular basis at our house. If you have never had chimichurri before, I urge you to try it on your next grilled steak, no matter the cut.

Here is the chimichurri recipe I made:
    1. 1/4 cup coarsely chopped parsley
    2. 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    3. 4 large garlic cloves, minced (2 1/2 tablespoons)
    4. 2 tablespoons oregano leaves
    5. Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
    6. 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

In a food processor, combine the parsley, vinegar, garlic, oregano and crushed red pepper. Process until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Transfer the sauce to a bowl and pour the olive oil over the mixture. Let stand for at least 20 minutes.

I did not process until smooth but only let the processor do a coarse chop. The above recipe called for some red pepper flakes but I left those out by mistake, I know I or the other diners didn't miss them or at least I don't think we missed them.

I know there are many different varieties of chimichurri, anyone have a favorite recipe?

Newscience and anileze like this.
  20. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    As mentioned above, mussels are a very easy item to cook at home, so are clams. I've been using these smaller clams called Manila clams, which are smaller & generally sweeter than littlenecks: http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/shellfish/clams/manila_clams.html

There are a couple EASY recipes I make with these clams:

The first is with garlic & olive oil. clean clams by briefly scrubbing shells. Heat a stock pot. Then I use a few tablespoons of my homemade mojo de ajo (roasted garlic olive oil) or you could put a few tablespoons of olive oil with minced garic in a stock pot. Add clams. Shake pot a few times over a 5 minute period or until most clams have opened. Serve clams in a bowl with the juice at bottom of the pot, make sure to have some crusty bread on hand to soak up the juice in the bowl!

This next recipe is one I had not made before last week.
    clams w/Chiles de arbol
    INGREDIENTS
    5 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    3–4 dried chiles de árbol, crumbled
    1½ lbs. clams, rinsed thoroughly (while this recipe called for razor clams, I substituted Manila clams)
    ¼ cup white wine
    1½ cups loosely packed flat-leaf parsley leaves, minced
    Kosher salt, to taste

INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Heat oil, garlic, and chiles in a 12" skillet over medium heat. Cook, swirling pan occasionally, until garlic is pale golden brown, about 6 minutes. Increase heat to high, add razor clams and wine, and cook, covered, until clams are just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add parsley and season with salt; toss razor clams to coat with sauce.

2. Transfer clams to a serving platter and drizzle with remaining sauce.

Again, make sure you have good bread on hand to soak up the sauce.

Newscience, anileze and kellio like this.
  21. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Watermelons are coming into season, they really are starting to get tasty. I've got two salad recipes that utilize watermelon as the primary ingredient, one I just made last night. These both are so good & refreshing on hot summer nights.

recipe #1
    cut watermelon into 1" cubes (rind removed)
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 tsp. sugar
    1/2 tsp. red chili powder (we go a bit heavier on this spice)
    zest & juice of 1 lime
    6oz cotija cheese crumbles (or you can use crumbled goat cheese which I did last night)
    1 cup chopped cilantro
    2 oz radish sprouts (or you can use some fresh chopped chives which I did last night)
    black pepper & salt to taste

Whisk olive oil, sugar, chili powder, lime zest/juice, salt pepper in a bowl, then pour over watermelon. Add remaining ingredients, tossing to coat. Serve immediately.

recipe #2
    1 1/2 English Cucumber cut into 1/2" cubes
    3 C Watermelon cut into 1/2" cubes
    1/4 C chopped cilantro
    2 T chopped mint
    1/3 C coarsely chopped peanuts
    dressing
    3 1/2 T lime juice
    3 T Hoisin sauce

combine cucumber & watermelon, cover & refridge for 4 hours, drain excess fluid. Whisk dressing, combine dressing & all remaining ingredients.
    Serve immediately.

Newscience and anileze like this.
  22. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suppose delicious is a relative term

delicious is in the belly of the beholder

so I have a very simple dish that I ate as a kid and made recently

I had a taste for this unhealthy sandwich dish in Dubai where pork is not common but sold at the local British supermarket, Waitrose, where I bought some lean bacon, some fresh sliced wheat bread and some peanut butter

you toast the bread, cook the bacon crisp and add peanut butter to your taste :eek:

Newscience likes this.
  23. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Add bananas to this sandwich, and you have an "Elvis favorite sandwich". BTW, his diet left much to be desired. :rolleyes:

24. profpeabody

profpeabody Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is one of our favorite dishes at home:
    Escarole and Beans
    1-2 Heads Escarole
    4 oz Pancetta cut into small cubes
    Olive Oil
    5 Garlic cloves
    2 Rosemary Sprigs
    1 Carrot peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
    1 Shallot
    Red Pepper Flakes to taste
    Lemon – Juice from ½ lemon.
    1 small can Cannellini Beans (rinsed and drained)
    1 ½c Chicken Broth
    1 TB Butter (optional)
    Wash and dry escarole. Chop and set aside.
    In large skillet, add small amount of olive oil to sauté the pancetta until crisp.
    Remove pancetta from pan and set on paper towel to drain. Leave oil in pan.
    In small food chopper, chop garlic, shallot, carrot and rosemary until finely minced.
    Add contents of food chopper to pan and sauté until vegetables are softened.
    Add red pepper flakes.
    Add beans and chicken broth. Simmer 15-20 minutes until mixture has thickened (liquid reduced).
    Add escarole and cook until escarole has wilted.
    Just before serving, stir in lemon juice and, if desired, 1 tablespoon of butter.
    Sprinkle pancetta over each plate and serve.

Newscience and Sweet Willie like this.
  25. marco24

marco24 Member

Status Points:
    Two slices of bread, Cuban roast pork, sauteed onions, cilantro and Tabasco sauce. Downed with a cold, cold pitcher of home made brew. Heaven!