Have $10k in Expenses Coming In Next 3 Months - What Cards To Get?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Airinderwings, Feb 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Airinderwings

Airinderwings Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello, Currently accumulating points on American and Mariott. Have about $10k in expenses coming up over next 3 months. What cards should I pursue to maximize points that can eventually transfer to American for flight awards?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    gregm, WilliamQ and MSYgirl like this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! :)

I'm sure our experienced members will have plenty of advice for you in the credit card arena. Good luck racking up the points.

gregm and WilliamQ like this.
  3. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    $10? :p

Welcome and be prepared for the avalanche of advise.
    While I do hate the idea of a $10k bill, I am certainly envious of your potential rewards. :)

MSYgirl likes this.
  4. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    American partners with Citi... 2 miles per $ plus bonus miles etc. This way you can earn the miles directly. I bet someone will know how to earn even more so don't just go by me!
    https://creditcards.citicards.com/u...1&ProspectID=7B22CAEFD227485098CE2347D835E73F

MSYgirl likes this.
  5. Airinderwings

Status Points:
    flyforawg and gregm like this.
  6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    The annual fee is $450 but it comes with a $200 statement credit (for any $200 in expenses on the card) so its really $250 annual fee the first year. Then for $10k in spending within 3 months, you earn 100,000 American Airlines miles. And you get a full Admirals Club membership (don't have to be traveling on AA) in the mix if that's worth something to you. For a year.

So you're buying 100,000 miles for $250 which is 0.2 cents per mile. Really really good if you're able to use AA miles.

Seems like this question is a set up. Is it real?

8. John Deere

John Deere Silver Member

Status Points:
    its legit and its a great offer. The $200 statement credit applies for any spend, and helps out with the annual fee. Sign up bonus is very well worth the (reduced) annual fee.
    Besides for the Admirals club membership....

9. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 100K Executive card is probably the best credit card offer I've ever seen (I never had one of the old 100K AMEX Platinum offers, that would have been better).

10. Airinderwings

Status Points:
    Got thinking about this last night. You could just apply for (3) cards with $3,000 spends over 90 days and get 40,000 miles each. And often those waive the $95 annual fee. So that would be $0 for 120,000 miles. Takes more active management and you would have to move ultimate rewards or other points around to get them consolidated in your AA Freq flyer account. That seems like a better deal. Am I missing something?

WilliamQ likes this.
  11. ariosto

ariosto Silver Member

Status Points:
    This all Depend on your travel Patterns or your travel wishes as you Cannot transfer Ultimate rewards into AA but CAN transfer into United. Me personally i would always go with AA:). So take into account what is your Goal before applying then and only then apply to what is going to help you achieve this.

WilliamQ likes this.
  12. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree with the AA Executive card suggestions. Add in the 70k Marriott Rewards card for only a couple thousand more and you've maximized your strategy.

WilliamQ likes this.
  13. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    See if this one is right for you (100K AA, $200 statement credit, AC entry, but $450 annual fee):
    https://creditcards.citicards.com/usc/Travel/AA/2013/q3/Exec/GA/default.htm?BT_TX=1

WilliamQ likes this.
  14. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 for the AA Exec. Just got it, 'bout mid-way through my spend, and the $200 statement credit already posted.

WilliamQ likes this.
  15. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, maybe a little. Ultimate Rewards points don't transfer to American Airlines for one. The best options for UR are generally United and Hyatt. You could certainly apply for multiple cards that do produce AA miles though...

You could apply for a Citi AA Platinum VISA and get 50K miles for 3K spend. But you have to wait 90 days before you can apply for another AA personal card. $95 fee waived the first year.
    You could apply for a CitiBusiness AA card. Not sure what the current best offer is. Maybe its 25K or 30K miles. Again I think $95 fee, waived first year.
    You could apply for a Barclay US Air card. These are pretty churnable. Best offer is 30K with no annual fee on first purchase I think or 40K with $89 fee.
    There might even be a Barclay US Air business card. Not sure about that.

All of these will produce miles that will eventually become AA miles. Maybe the US Air cards take a year before they can be transferred.

You could even throw in a Chase British Airways card since while you can't transfer those to AA miles you can use them to book MileSAAver AA awards ...

Etc. But I guess the question is, so what? All of these are good cards, and things you should be looking at over time to build up your AA mile stash if that's what you want. But the Citi AA Executive is a GREAT deal, and highly unusual and won't be around long. And getting it doesn't prevent you from doing the others too, later. And they're all commonly available. The Chase BA is a once in a lifetime application and you want to apply for it while its offering 100k. Think that might be available right now, though I think the spend on that is C-R-A-Z-Y but didn't pay attention since I already had one.

Get the Citi Exec 100k. Think about the others later.

WilliamQ and Kalboz like this.
  16. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Citi AA Executive

WilliamQ, daninstl and foxberg like this.
  17. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 for Citi AA Exec card. It's the perfect fit with $10k spend requirement in 3 months.

DJP_707 and WilliamQ like this.
  18. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 for Citi AA Exec

19. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    SPG gives you 1.25, so 12,500 for you 10k spend,

Depends on what the spend us for.

INK gives 5X many places, so you could get 50k for the 10 spend..

BA 2 AA